Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read through the thread about "most gratifying mods...". Based on that I am looking at the 13mm rear brake master upgrade, but am also interested in more info on the different chain rings people are using and the effect on fuel economy.

A lot of muti riders sound pretty excited about the change they experienced when changing sprockets. I did the same on my 916 (ST5) and loved it, but that was a lot less engine than the 1200. I'm actually happy with how the bike behaves now with the stock size rings, but always fun to find something "funner"...
But my fuel economy is already crappy, and would hate to make it worse. I got about 40-ish MPG on my cross country riding. I rode fast, not at ideal economy speeds, but 40-ish is ok for that. Now riding around town more i'm geting more like 34-35mpg, which is acceptable for a toy, but it doesn't make me happy. I didn't buy this bike to save gas, but it is annoying (my other bikes are all in the 39-50 mpg range).

A DVT would be an improvement for fuel econ i'm told, and maybe i'll do that upgrade eventually (just because why not, but later in life), but for now i'd love to hear how changing to a 14 or 15 front ring changes things on fuel economy, as well as RPM's in higher speed cruise range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello there

I´m on a 42T rear sprocket and haven´t noticed the slightest change in consumption. I am averaging 250 km on a single tank and that includes town and outside riding. Exactly what I had before the mod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
42t on mine too, no noticeable consumption difference as 6th is now more readily available. Biggest difference is its gone from seriously quick to ballistic. >:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll be needing to replace my chain soon and I'm not only going to a 42 tooth rear but I'm also considering moving to a 525 chain. Stock pitch is 530. I hear it's lighter in weight and responds faster. I'm concerned if a 525 chain can take the stress of the torque but I see they are rated for a 1300cc bike.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I went 42/525 (quick change). If fuel economy dropped it was not by much (less than 2mpg). I still get over 50mpg (touring) and the best I've done is about 52.

·
Registered
293 Posts
42 tooth rear on my 2014 and like everyone else, I'm happy and sticking with it. Currently I am averaging 44.6 for all my riding. I have to do 80+ mph on the slab for extended periods of time to get it to drop considerably. Just do it already.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another for the 42 rear sprocket. Snatchyness gone in 1st.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I stayed with a 530 chain (it should handle wear better then 525) and 15/42 sprockets.
Didnt change anything for me in the fuel consumption department.

What DID was open the airbox and mapping the bike. Went from 6l/100km (39mpg US) to 5.5l/100km (42 mpg US).
Put the full system on now and havent noticed any more drops in consuption, so it seems that the intake side is restricted as stock.

Also noticed that 6:th is now availble from 60:isch where I use to do 70 before.
Note: Bike still does an indicated 255kmp/158MPH (I saw 235kph/145mph on the GPS, which is right on the Money for the 7% drop) with 15/42 gearing and Michelin pilot Power and I wasnt even redlining 6:th

250+kph on this run (on a closed airfield, one mile standing start top speed drag)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Man, best I've seen on my 2014 is 46mpg and that was my last fill up and I was on a group ride. My avg us 40-41
With all the luggage on, the mileage will drop with some significance.

I have been getting 35-37 w/15-42 and full (
LARGE) baggage compliment.

In unfamiliar territory, I begin to get nervous @150 miles. Figure I have at least a gallon that I could stretch to 40 miles.

Note: my tank was coated on the inside thus reducing overall capacity by approximately 1 quart.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll be needing to replace my chain soon and I'm not only going to a 42 tooth rear but I'm also considering moving to a 525 chain. Stock pitch is 530. I hear it's lighter in weight and responds faster. I'm concerned if a 525 chain can take the stress of the torque but I see they are rated for a 1300cc bike.
I've been running a 525 chain for almost 15,000 miles and it's been fine. When I purchased the chain I was careful to get one with the same strength ratings as the 530. They cost a little more than the weaker ones of the same size, but no concerns and it's wearing as well as the 530 did.

I still run the stock sprocket sized and to be honest fuel economy has never been awesome. I did manage 51mpg on a motorway run where I maintained a steady speed. But in general riding I'm likely to get 42mpg and in spirited twisties I'd not be surprised to get into the late 30s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
14T front sprocket

I replaced the 15T 530 sprocket with a 14T 525 off an 1198-engined bike.
No change in chain noise or wear but the bike is certainly more lively off the mark.
Fuel burn can be slightly higher but that is more to do with an increase in the rider exuberance and a full MIVV system rather than a change in gearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts