Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

When I cleaned the chain today I had a closer look at the sprocket, and I'm wondering if it's time for a change. This is the first time I've had a bike with a chain, so I don't have much experience with this, and would appreciate some advice from those in the know :) I've attached a photo of the sprocket.

Some more info: I've done just over 11,000 miles, and as far as I can tell, the chain tension is still good (it was last adjusted at the 9,000 mile service). To check chain tension, I used the tool that came with the bike, in urban mode, on the side stand, and checked a few different positions by rolling the bike a foot or so, checking again etc. (and made sure to turn the bike off/on so the suspension was powered each time)... so I think I've done it correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Stu

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
From the pic the rear sprocket looks good, no hooking. How does the countershaft sprocket look? The rule of thumb I've always gone by is to put tension on the middle of the chain to take out the slack, and if you can pull the chain more than a roller's width off the rear sprocket, it's time to replace the chain. Any kinks warrant replacement also. Chain wear can be a pretty subjective assessment, however.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the pic the rear sprocket looks good, no hooking. How does the countershaft sprocket look? The rule of thumb I've always gone by is to put tension on the middle of the chain to take out the slack, and if you can pull the chain more than a roller's width off the rear sprocket, it's time to replace the chain. Any kinks warrant replacement also. Chain wear can be a pretty subjective assessment, however.
Thanks for the info! The countershaft sprocket looks about the same, so it seems all is probably ok for now.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
I've not had a chain outlast a sprocket on any of my newer higher hp bikes... and yours looks totally fine.

Reactions: LA_Stu

·
Registered
665 Posts
This thread timing is perfect because my 2013 S is up for a chain replacement. I've stayed on top of the maintenance but some chain links are a little on the stiff side even after cleaning (BTW this is not the stock setup, I already replaced the oem parts about 27,000 miles ago). The rear sprocket is exceptionally clean, showing good tooth profile and no side wear; I haven't looked at the front yet. I usually replace everything as a set; the local independent Ducati mechanic (who knows his stuff) said that due to the SSS design chain/sprocket alignment is more accurate than a standard swingarm/rear wheel combo and I could probably retain the rear sprocket, and just replace the chain and front sprocket with new. Thoughts on this?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
This thread timing is perfect because my 2013 S is up for a chain replacement. I've stayed on top of the maintenance but some chain links are a little on the stiff side even after cleaning (BTW this is not the stock setup, I already replaced the oem parts about 27,000 miles ago). The rear sprocket is exceptionally clean, showing good tooth profile and no side wear; I haven't looked at the front yet. I usually replace everything as a set; the local independent Ducati mechanic (who knows his stuff) said that due to the SSS design chain/sprocket alignment is more accurate than a standard swingarm/rear wheel combo and I could probably retain the rear sprocket, and just replace the chain and front sprocket with new. Thoughts on this?
I just go by conventional wisdom, and replace all as a set. Might be a good way for you to test conventional wisdom.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Those guys are the experts... but chain/sprocket wear is about more than alignment. As they age... the chain and sprocket wear as a system, the chain stretches a bit(pitch changes) and the sprocket wears on the mating surface to match. If everything is aligned then the sprockets won't wear on the side and you COULD safely just mount a new chain... but because the sprocket is already worn on the mating surface - the experts say that you'll significantly shorten the life of your chain because the sprocket won't properly match it.

Might be worth experimenting if you can get a really cheap chain... but given that a good chain is quite a bit more expensive than sprockets, it seems like a bad bet to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts