Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other bikes are shaft drive. I didn't realize you could customize things by switching out the front and rear sprockets. Cheap and not hard to do. Lots of information on this site about which ones to use. Very helpful. this is for a 97 900SS/CR.

The factory stock is 15 teeth front and 37 teeth rear. The PO had it set up really "sporty". 14 front and 41 rear! On the windy country roads I ride on, it was definitely athletic. Super responsive in the 4000 to 6000+ range. But, riding on the highway at 70-75 mph in top gear was pretty buzzy. I increased the front to 15, and reduced the rear to 40. Got a kit from Renthal. About $100 if I recall. Better now. A little compromise on each end. Before in 6th, 60 mph was about 4000 rpms, now at 4000 rpms around 70 mph.

There is a website Gearing Commander which was helpful. Just plug in the information on your bike, and it gives you rpms and speed in various gears. Put in different sprockets and it gives different figures. Very helpful in picking what you want.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,252 Posts
Most people around here are familiar with Gearing Commander. It's been referenced a lot and is a very useful tool, as you know. Thanks for the heads-up.

Did you also change your chain? It's always a good idea to do the system unless one component has very few miles on it. They wear as a set and if you don't, you will most likely get reduced life out of one part or the other.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’m happy with 15/41, even with limited Highway use. No downshift needed !

Reactions: psyopper
1 - 3 of 3 Posts