Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking back but couldnt find my year. What is a good all around sprocket combination for a 2000 SSie. Just looking for a lil more grunt down low. I dont want anything drastic, to the point where I am too buzzy on the freeway.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just did the change on my 99... so it ought to be the same. I left the front stock and went 2 over on the rear. I

Incredible and satisfying difference. Not too extreme- it is just where it out to be anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just did the change on my 99... so it ought to be the same. I left the front stock and went 2 over on the rear. I

Incredible and satisfying difference. Not too extreme- it is just where it out to be anyway.
yup, 15F(stock) and 39R is the most common for our bikes.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If one is changing both, I would add to the rear and not make a tighter turn in the front. 15/39 is good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 over on the rear worked good for me. 6th is much more usable, and first is not to short.
thanks for the advice. what size chain did you wind up with after the xtra 2 teeth?

any links to a good sprocket source, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
on the ssie 15-40 is stock.15-42 is the most common setup. the carbys had 15-37 and most go 15-39. the ssie model revs higher so they came stock with shorter gearing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on the ssie 15-40 is stock.15-42 is the most common setup. the carbys had 15-37 and most go 15-39. the ssie model revs higher so they came stock with shorter gearing.
I am gonna go with that, but what about chain size?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am gonna go with that, but what about chain size?
well I looked back on the site and saw some reviews and this seems to be in my price range;

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=7%7CDrivetrain&productID=5711&showDetail=1&categoryID=33|Ducati%20SS%20Drivetrain&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=7%7CDrivetrain

(links isnt showing as link???), it is a sprox stealth 520 42 tooth rear.

any ideas on chain size/brand? I am just gonna go ahead and change it as well, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the ssie bikes have an 8% taller primary drive ratio which is why they ran 15/40 std instead of the carb bike's 15/37 - it's almost identical. i usually run 15/43 on them or any other big engined, 1.84 primary drive ratio wide ratio gearbox bike. i would usually use a did 520vm chain, which comes in 120 links and you cut it down to about 100 from memory.

·
Registered
322 Posts
the ssie bikes have an 8% taller primary drive ratio which is why they ran 15/40 std instead of the carb bike's 15/37 - it's almost identical. i usually run 15/43 on them or any other big engined, 1.84 primary drive ratio wide ratio gearbox bike. i would usually use a did 520vm chain, which comes in 120 links and you cut it down to about 100 from memory.
checking the specs on my 98 fe us model. it has the later 32-59 primary ratio and older 15-37 final drive. no wonder these bikes were slower than the older carbys.:think:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts