Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking 14t up front. Should I stay stock in the rear for around town or go 14/39

For those who went with a sprocket size change what has been your exp riding so far? I found a few threads on the change but not much info on how the bike rode and living with it after a few months..

My chain has had it and I see it's best to change out the sprockets as well..
A few recommendations would help.. I saw some posts for other bikes and wanted some 02 900ssie owners reviews first hand and up to date.

Most of my riding is around town to and from the base.. I wouldnt mind some low end power or mid.. I am not a top end speed freak but I do want a good RPM when going long distance on the freeway.

Are these any good? Seems they want to go to 520. Good bad?
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/352...ion-kit-w-rk-520gxw-race-chain---ducati-.html

James
Spending money like crazy!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
sprocket chain . . .

James,

I have a '96 900 SS/SP with 15f/39r, which +2 from stock on the rear. I would not go to 14 on the front, due to interference on the swingarm by the chain. Just go up at the rear. Smoother around town, no jerky starts. Plenty of torque, just less top end. How big are you? I'm 185 all suited up and I think this is ideal for me. Maybe go to +3 but not much past that.
Call Chris Kelley @ California Cycleworks in San Diego, he knows Ducatis and what works.

Fred

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,

I have a '96 900 SS/SP with 15f/39r, which +2 from stock on the rear. I would not go to 14 on the front, due to interference on the swingarm by the chain. Just go up at the rear. Smoother around town, no jerky starts. Plenty of torque, just less top end. How big are you? I'm 185 all suited up and I think this is ideal for me. Maybe go to +3 but not much past that.
Call Chris Kelley @ California Cycleworks in San Diego, he knows Ducatis and what works.

Fred
Thanks for the info. 15/39 seems to be the way to go. I want a nice low end grunt as I really don't top the bike out. I was just out looking at the chair guard and you seem to be onto something with the 14t. I think it would be on it all the time hard.

I'm 180 with all my street armor on. I just looked up the gearing on Gearing commander and 15/43 seems to be so close to 14T up front that you wouldn't know the difference unless I am missing something...

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Teeth impact on speed

Here is a table I prepared for comparison to the stock 15/40 900SSie sprockets.

Down the bottom, it also shows the formula so people can compare the impact of changes to the number of teeth on their current sprockets.

Richard

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
15/39 will reduce acceleration and make it sluggish

Forgot to say this. If you look at my table for the 15/39 combo compared to 15/40 you will see that speed goes up, so zippiness will go down.

That is unless you have some hidden desire to give Vespas a chance from the lights!

For acceleration, at the expense of speed, you need to reduce front or increase rear.

Richard

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i was running 14-37 giving a ratio of 2.64 , never noticed any probs with chain clearance.

i managed to pick up a cheap 38T rear sprocket (which along with the 14t front) giving a ratio of 2.71, which i find much better in low speed traffic (less clutching). also excelleration is better.

if i was going to do both frontand back sprockets i would definately go 15t front and either 40t rear (giving a ratio of 2.66) or most likely 41T rear giving a ratio of 2.73. only slightly more than the 2.71 im currently running.

I think a 15f and 40r would be a good compromise at 2.66.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I find 15-42 works well on my 900SSie, 6th gear is much more useable in the real world. Before the change would be between 5th. and 6th. all the time, small hill down to 5th., into a strong wind down to 5th., now I just stay in 6th..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went 15/43. Really close to 14t on the front and I think it will suit my driving style perfect.. Or sometime next week I will be bitching and moaning about it..
Thanks for all the advice.. It really did help!! Now I just need to find a local HB crew to ride with and all will be right in the world.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
set up

Same chain I put on my bike, good choice! 14/40 is like a 15/43 you will like it better in the city.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Not so sure about the "loss of top speed" argument anyway. Will a 900ssie even pull redline in sixth with stock gearing, or even with 15/43? I kinda doubt it. My 750ssie sure as heck never could, and it only had five gears!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Speed in lower gears

Not so sure about the "loss of top speed" argument anyway. Will a 900ssie even pull redline in sixth with stock gearing, or even with 15/43? I kinda doubt it. My 750ssie sure as heck never could, and it only had five gears!
Speed if you hit the rev limiter will be reduced in lower gears. I have never had the opportunity to test red line in 6th, but doubt it would get there unless at Bonneville with a tail wind. There is more chance with 14/40 than 15/40 - just the physics of it.

At first you may feel you are changing quicker and more often, but the zip is well worth it and you get used to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had a slew of parts sitting on my desk for the bike for a while now. I was waiting for this weekend but I got some time today and decided to toss my new sprockets and chain on.. It also had something to do with the chain breaker/riviter I got in the mail so the game was ON.

All in all not to hard a task seeing as I had never done it before.. I also tossed some iridiums and TPO dragon wires on. Bike ran a little smoother but nothing magical with just plugs and wires..

But to the thread topic....

WWWOOOOOWWW... Did I say wow I ment to say wow......... 15/43 sprockets really made this a whole new game.. I took it EZ at first making sure everything was getting along then all bets were off and wow.. You would think the front end was 30 lbs lighter!

It wants nothing to do with the ground when you take off.

Around town at speed it's so much more fun now and the motor sounds better at those speeds with the added RPMs.

I took off from a light and almost missed the turn into my street cause I was flying!!

I can't recomend this combo enough or over any other..
Well mostly cause this is the first sprocket change I have ever done to a bike so exp is low :) but it really does make the SS come alive!

Need to toss 2 springs back into the clutch and install the clutch slave I just got to make sure I am not missing any low end grunt and get used to the new shift points and make the best of the change over.....

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts

love the look of that sprocket.
I'm getting ready to go up to a 39tooth rear.
I was wondering if you all could recommend where to purchase a chain and sprocket.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have had a slew of parts sitting on my desk for the bike for a while now. I was waiting for this weekend but I got some time today and decided to toss my new sprockets and chain on.. It also had something to do with the chain breaker/riviter I got in the mail so the game was ON.

All in all not to hard a task seeing as I had never done it before.. I also tossed some iridiums and TPO dragon wires on. Bike ran a little smoother but nothing magical with just plugs and wires..

WWWOOOOOWWW... Did I say wow I ment to say wow......... 15/43 sprockets really made this a whole new game.. I took it EZ at first making sure everything was getting along then all bets were off and wow.. You would think the front end was 30 lbs lighter!

Around town at speed it's so much more fun now and the motor sounds better at those speeds with the added RPMs.

I took off from a light and almost missed the turn into my street cause I was flying!!

Well mostly cause this is the first sprocket change I have ever done to a bike so exp is low :) but it really does make the SS come alive!

Need to toss 2 springs back into the clutch and install the clutch slave I just got to make sure I am not missing any low end grunt and get used to the new shift points and make the best of the change over.....

so you have a 2002 900SS i.e? I am looking for my 2000 SS i.e. did you still have decent top end? How hard is it to chnge your front sprocket/chain? I have never done this?

I was thinking just two up in the rear? anyone try that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
so when replacing your sprocket & chain, do you have to replace both front & rear sprockets?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure the top end lost 10 mph but I rarely went over 120 anyways so I wont miss 130+ one bit.

2 up would be fine as well.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/ helped me get where I wanted to be..
43t out back is really close to 14t up front.. Really close..

Changing everything was daunting at fist but once you get halfway I thought. Wow this is pretty EZ. (Having never riveted or used a break/rivet tool)
A friend helps when putting the rear wheel back on.. Lining it all up was hard single handed.

All in all it's 2 bolts for the sprocket cover, 2 rivets break/rivet in the chain, 2 bolts on the front sprocket and a retainer, 1 big ass bolt out back then pull the rear wheel, 6 bolts for the rear sprocket and 2 bolts to realign the wheel. Not in order but You get the idea.

From what I have read it's best to replace all 3 items at once to avoid more wear on the new parts interacting with the old parts..

Really. It's not that hard...

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Track

I notice the diff at the shorter tracks(14/40) but city riding sounds and fells better with that combo were I ride.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Just ordered the 15/43 kit. Thanks for your input, cant wait. One question, I dont have a 520 chain cutter/press, and source on an inexpensive one? I most likely will only use it once or twice??
thanks again for your idea, was thinking about this and you got my ass in gear to do it (no pun intended).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts