Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of Sil Motors slip-ons on my 2005 ST3. The install went very well but I was surprised at how "loose" the stock spring was holding the slip-ons to the header. With just a little effort I could remove the spring with my bare hands - normally I would expect to use pliers. There just is not a lot of tension.

Is my spring sprung? I'd like to hear what others experienced when they have swapped out their pipes. I'm wondering if I need to replace the spring. Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My arrows went on over a year ago and as I remember I used needle nose vise grips that ended up to be overkill but I don't think I could have done it with bare hands either! Your spring sounds a little on the sprung side. Price a spring out at the dealership and maybe replace it to be on the safe side. It wouldn't be fun to break that spring!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah, that is what I found out about the spring also. Its not that strong.

Dave Harhay

·
7,733 Posts
psh1959 said:
I just installed a set of Sil Motors slip-ons on my 2005 ST3. <snip>
I'm thinking I'll be getting some SIL Motor slip-ons soon. How's the sound? Is there a part number for reference you can quote me? Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I couldn't do mine with my bare hands, but the pull wasn't very strong either.

:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I pull mine off the header everytime I raise or lower the pipes. Its alot easier to match the bolt up with the threads that way. Then slip the pipes back on the header. There's not much tension, but I don't think its going anywhere!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. I think I'll get a new spring just to be on the safe side.

Stryder - The Sils sound great! I have the titanium ones but Sil also makes aluminum and carbon fiber slip-ons. I bought a used set of Sils - and do not have a part number but you can order them from Carpimoto.com. Carpimoto is located in Italy and their prices (even with shipping added) are quite reasonable. I ordered a set of removable silencers for the Sils from Carpimoto and they arrived in about a week.

Peter

·
7,733 Posts
Thanks Pete, I'll keep all that in mind. I was leaning towards the CF's, but Ti sounds cool too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts