Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the life span of stock fork springs on S1K is. I have a completely stock set up- forks and shocks , no steering dampener, with a bit over 16K miles I weigh 175lb and i do a fair amount of riding on NYC demilitarized zone streets.

I know many of you would not even touch this bike but it hasnt been a problem for me since i ride 35 year old shit bikes most of the time anyway. I'm used to it.

Anyhoo, lately she has started to feel a bit wobbly. Its weird, i actually thought there was something loose on the bike like some axle bolt or steering head bearing issue, but i cant see any problems.
I am poor and in debt but realize I may have to start saving my nickels and dimes for a WASP TMSD and forks.

Thougts? anyone know a suggested mileage for spring change or fork overhaul?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Normally 16K miles should not be a problem for a fork…

I'd change the fork oil first and check the steerer bearings + swingarm bearings…

If you did not need a steering damper for the last 16K, why would you now want to buy one?

But when you change oil, maybe you'll want to go for progressive springs from Wilbers or so… they're not expensive and usually come with the right oil

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
A couple thoughts -

If you have a front stand, or a way to lift the front of the bike, you can grab the fork lowers and push/pull to check for play in the fork bushings and/or steer tube bearings. I've adjusted my steer tube bearings a couple times in 40,000 miles, and now have some play in my fork bushings.

Also, I've adjusted my swingarm shims a couple times. I can tell when it's getting loose because the bike starts tracking funny and feels like I'm hitting gravel with the rear tire. You can put some large bolts into the motor just under the rear sets, lift the bike and support it on jackstands with those bolts so that the rear tire/swingarm are hanging free. Then give a good push/pull on the swingarm to check for side to side play. =You have to yank hard. I can also tell by hitting the rear tire hard with my fist while the bike is on a rear stand - It makes a nice clunk when it's loose. The shim clearance is supposed to be less than 0.1mm I believe. You can put a feeler gauge in between the shims to check how much clearance you have if it's loose. I want mine to have no play but be able to move freely through the range of suspension travel. PDF of swingarm procedure attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, thanks. Its mostly the front end that feels shakey. i will def lift the front and check forks and bearings.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If I remember right there are some other threaded holes under the horizontal cylinder that can also be used to support the front of the bike with the appropriate size and length bolts. Still need a way to lift the bike, but once supported on the bolts it leaves the entire front end free to check bearings, etc. Problem with a front stand that goes under the lower tripple clamp is it loads the bearings and you can't turn the forks freely.

Interested in your findings!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to lift front end i usually put jack stands under the frame sliders very close to the frame and add a rear stand for stability.

Tires are pirelli stradas with about 5K miles on them. they look a lot better than the stock tires i left on there for 11k miles and were absolutely pooched by then.

btw I had a pretty violent tank slapper right before all this. I thought i was going off the bike for sure but stayed on. It was one of the scariest things I experienced on a bike. I didnt mention it because i was always an advocate that the stock set ups on these bikes was good 'nuf. There you have it. Could the tank slapper done damage somehow?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah, problems in the rear will still feel like it's a problem in the front.

What condition are your tires in?

When I replaced my rear shocks with the Wilbers I reckon my front felt way better.....and it was a night and day difference in the ride quality.

When I replaced the forks with S4R type shocks I didn't notice the same difference ( maybe because I had a dampner).

This is of no help to TimDog of course so I will but out.

Good luck finding the solution ( or wait till I part out my GT and pic up my mods for a bargain!)

Cheers Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts