Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new bone stock gen 2 Titanium, 577 miles on the bike, just had its first oil change last Friday. On Saturday, I try to start the bike, it stumbles, then starter motor spins freely. I check the battery and all the usual stuff and everything is good. I suspect the starter sprag clutch, so I take it to the dealer. They open it up and it is indeed the sprag clutch, they've ordered the parts for the warranty repair. I'm thinking, "all is well." Weird for a brand new part to fail like that, tho. So I'm curious to find out what happened.

I went to the dealer today to look at my bike and see what's going on. They show me the failed "sprag clutch," and it is a PIECE of FRIGGIN PLASTIC (first photo). This does not look anything like ANY Ducati sprag clutch I've ever seen.

So tonight, I reference the parts catalog and find the sprag clutch on drawing 12, and it is listed as part number 70140351A. A quick google search shows me a pic of this part and it is a proper sprag clutch (second photo).

WTF is going on??? Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm going to call the dealer first thing in the am to see what parts they ordered to do the repair and ensure that they are fitting the correct METAL part.

....what the HELL?????

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep. Plastic.

For some reason, Ducati decided in brilliant fashion to use plastic housed sprague clutches in the newer Diavels, XDiavels, M1200's, and Multis.

The rationale is unclear. But if the mailman delivers some recall letters, don't be surprised...

Also, the part number for the plastic sprague is 70140501A. The part number you saw (70140351A) is the sprague for pretty much everything else - 749/998/999/848/899/959/1098/1198/1199/1299/SF/M1100/M1200 (2014-2016)/Diavel (2011-2015)/D16RR/etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts