Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After messing around with the Palatov tail tidy on my Paul Smart, moving the plate back an inch, adding a small retro-style bullet light, etc, I turned my attention to the indicators (Turn Signals for my American cousins) and realised that less is more.

The Watsens are lovely, but they're made to fit in into the holes on the OEM tail light (as per Ian's GT on this previous thread) so I needed something generic, and then I hit on a stupid idea.

I had bought a pair LED number plate lights, which double as the plate holder bolts, so I thought why not rig these up as turn signals - as they are just tiny bright LEDs.

I have some "continental" yellow lens stain (for using UK vehicles in Europe) which I will use to stain the lenses amber and although they are not really bright enough for use on a bright day, they'll be great at night where drivers can't see my manual signalling...

So - this is not a recommended mod, not legal and def not sensible, but I thought I'd share anyway. I have some alu LED bolts coming for the front, plus an ingenious LED based idea I will share later - if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Looks really clean Dutch:) Although, I would really try to find the brightest LEDs you can. I had some cheapo indicators that looked great but were not bright enough to be seen past the headlight glare. So, I upgraded to Oberons front and rear. Man are they bright!

In fact, the black Oberons would look good on your setup, since you have em nicely tucked up under the tail with the smaller tail light. Just a thought:)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong guys, I know these are not bright enough. Just about ANY proper indies will do a better job - hence me commenting that this is NOT a recommended mod, just a bit of fun.

As an ex Supermoto junkie, many of my previous bikes had no indies, some even had no lights and ran on daylight MOTs', so I'm used to hand signals and I always ride paranoid.

At some point I'll work up something proper, but I like the no indies look and will be trying to replicate it, albeit more safely and brighter.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Dutch-

Way to think outside the box! As yet another alternative and maybe a bit more permanent solution, please consider a pair of black watsen indicators; just mount them to the bottom of the seat tray, angled slightly outward. I've wondered why nobody has done this on a chopped sport model, they'd be highly visible when on and nearly invisible when off..

Just my 2c!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jeff.

Good idea in principle - I love the Watsens. Shame they take 8 weeks to make (WTF?) and then three weeks to ship, plus I'll pay about $40 in import duty when they arrive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.