Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I have no current plan to trade in my ST2, the fact that it is nearly 20 years old and parts are starting to get harder to find has me looking around. I have been riding Ducs for almost 20 years and have brand loyalty to Ducati, but they really don't have a "direct" replacement for the old ST. There's the new SS with hard bags, but passenger capacity is nearly as non existent (or less) as it was on my Monster 750. (I've got a wife and two kids who all love to ride (at least the baby will love to ride when he's old enough :grin2: )). The Multi has the capacity but, quite frankly, and I know I'm in the minority on this, it's ridiculously uncomfortable.

Of the demo rides I have done, I know that I could get, maybe, a couple of hours out of the bike before I was in pain and needing to get off because the sitting position is so upright. Versus on my ST: I'm good to go all day (again, in the minority... weird back issues... yada, yada...). Then again on a cruiser, I've got about 20 minutes before I hurt. I like being able to hop on the bike and take off for the weekend, you know?

So, my question is this: Is there any good way to really change sitting position on the Multistrada into a more sport stance? Are there rearsets even available that kick the feet back a bit more? Is it lower bars or nothing?

Any suggestions?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Just like I couldn't modify my old ST3 to be a comfortable long distance tourer for me, you might not be able to change the multi into what you are looking for. Might be more effective looking at that SS with a comfort or aftermarket seat.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the bike you're looking for.
Yes, but its about the only Duc the fits the bill of my riding "wants." I commute to and from work. I bomb up and down mountain passes. I gear up and take off weekends (sometimes weeks) with my wife... That's why I love the ST - It does all that. And the Multi can, too. That's why I'm asking.

Or is your response another way of saying adjustments are limited and that I'm just S-O-L?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Well if someone was REALLY enterprising they could probably devise some way to get a rearset like capability... but since you're the only person in the universe who seems to be more comfortable contorted into a pretzel instead of stretched out - it will probably need to be you. ;-P

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
212 Posts
KB, I get where you are coming from since I own an ST3 and will eventually have to find an alternative.

From an ergonomic standpoint, the new SuperSport is really the only comparable bike in Ducati's lineup to the ST. I've been on both bikes and rider position is near identical. I'd look at a seat upgrade and would hope legitimate hard cases will be available if you go the route of a daily commuter.

Another alternative is keep the Duc and get a Yam FJ as a pack mule/two up bike. Anvil reliability, cheap, and a better two up bike than either the SS or the ST.

BTW, my ST3 is all day comfortable for me also.

Scott L.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have about 85K miles on the ST2 and ST4s. I had Helibars and Procutting peg lowering brackets and the DP performance seat. I was very comfortable. I made the switch to the Multi in 2015. At first I though the riding position was weird but after a few rides I adapted. The upright seating position has many advantages. Comfort plus you get a much better view of the world. Also you can stand on the pegs for a few minutes every hour to ease your butt and cool your nuts. I have the excellent $$$ DP comfort seat on mine. Factory cruise control works great and allows you to shake-out your right hand. I wear a Back-A-Line back brace most of the time. I am 76 but in good shape because I ski all winter and ride my bicycle a lot in the summer. Yoga or similar exercises help with any back problems.

I love the looks of the new SS but I don't think I would want to tour on it. Especially not 2 up. In addition to what you mentioned, the range is short and there is no center stand for chain maintenance or tire repair on the road.

The Multi has tubular bars which means you could swap them out with a different bend. Rocky Mountian ATV has a huge selection. Most of them are probably higher not lower than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I think if you could get the pegs moved back a bit you could get lower bars and it would be closer to the ST's... but riding position is a tricky thing when the bikes are fundamentally different - might be very tough to match up the position between the two bikes.

Every time I scrape a peg in the corner I wish I could adjust them up a bit... but I'm also used to the very spacious riding position for touring (I'm 50 and put in 16-20 hour days on the Multi last year - got off the bike feeling fine and got up in the morning and did it again).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I switched from superbikes to a supersport, then to a multi last year (I am 50 years old). At first the riding position just felt wrong in every way... every time I'd get on it I'd reach DOWN for the bars and oops, they're not down there. Same with the peg position. Coming from a traditional sportbike riding position it feels like you don't have the control or feel that you want/need, especially cornering. But, and here's the thing, over time that feeling goes away, you adapt to the position, and you find that you can lean down into corners just as far as you want (well, the pegs do hit pretty early, but you're also quite leaned over at that point so it's just a bit of a tradeoff). You also find that a) your neck, back and wrists are NEVER tired or sore after riding, b) you have a great view as the multi is way up high and c) you can easily keep up with sportbikes in the twisties. I went for my first ride this spring, 3+ hours, with no discomfort during or after. I can do a 4-5 hour ride without blinking. The pillion seat is just about as large as the rider's seat and up a bit, very comfortable.

There are some tradeoffs, it is not a hardcore sportbike. I haven't taken mine to the track (yet!) but I don't anticipate having quite the same front-end feel, and your center of gravity is much higher so sliding the bike in corners will feel different for sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... but since you're the only person in the universe who seems to be more comfortable contorted into a pretzel instead of stretched out - ;-P
Yes... sigh... I AM the oddball of (any) group. I can only ride my dad's Goldwing for about half an hour before wanting a break. If I drive my car to work, my back hurts when I get there. When I ride my bike, I'm fine.

And I have built custom bikes before (café racer style), so the idea of building my own rearsets is not out.

From an ergonomic standpoint, the new SuperSport is really the only comparable bike in Ducati's lineup to the ST...
Another alternative is keep the Duc and get a Yam FJ as a pack mule/two up bike. Anvil reliability, cheap, and a better two up bike than either the SS or the ST.
I would love to get one of those new SS's, but the back seat just won't work for my passengers. I love my wife dearly, but lets just say that she is now twice the women she was when we met. And I mean that from an emotional standpoint... too... :rolleyes: (peak over shoulder... make sure she's not looking...). Getting her her own bike may be an option that hasn't been entirely ruled out, though.

As for the FJR, I'd much rather get a Concourse. Every time I've ridden an FJR I have gotten off with my wrists hurting like hell. I know that could be solved with different/adjustable bars, I'm sure, and everyone I know who owns one loves it, but it's never thrilled me. I've had some wicked demo rides on the Conny, though. :grin2: That bike can be fun for such a big machine.

Well, thank you, everyone. This has given me some food for thought. There is a part of me that really wants to love the Multistrada, but I'm finding it hard to start the relationship, you know? Everyone always keeps saying, "You've got to ride one." When I finally did, I wasn't thrilled. Oh well. Decision time is still a few years down the road and the ST is running like champ, so no needs to worry just yet. I've got time.

Thanks!

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Have you looked at renting a Multi to test your theory being in pain after a couple hours? I will say, as mentioned earlier, that the ability to stand on the bike and ride standing is a huge benefit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am a new Multistrada owner, 61 years old, and the bikes I've sold within the last year include a BMW S1000RR and a Ducati Monster S4RS and a 1974 Kawasaki H2 triple.
Bikes I currently own include a '14 Triumph Street Triple, an '08 GL1800 and the '12 Multi..and a '99 Cagiva Gran Canyon.

Bought the Multi end of Feb and finally got to take it for a good ride to NW Arkansas last week (look up Talimena and Rat Raid for mapping).

With the variety of bikes, the Multi feels different...as all of them do. But after living with it for a week, riding NW Arkansas twisties every day, I am okay with it.

Compared to the Street Triple or the Cagiva, bars are really wide, so you have serious leverage, which you must moderate a bit. Compared to the GW, it's a lighter bike. DUH.

If you own one bike, enjoy it every chance you get.

If you own several, enjoy each of them...every chance you get. And thank God for your good fortune.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you looked at renting a Multi to test your theory being in pain after a couple hours? I will say, as mentioned earlier, that the ability to stand on the bike and ride standing is a huge benefit.
You know, that's a great idea. Now if I could just find someone locally who rents bikes.

If you own one bike, enjoy it every chance you get.

If you own several, enjoy each of them...every chance you get. And thank God for your good fortune.
I like that! :grin2:

·
Registered
159 Posts
While i Dont agreee with you on comfort (i think this is one of the most comfy bikes ive ever sat on), I would like a sportier position as well.

Im looking into some lower handerbars to help me get leaned over a bit. Still havnt figured it out just yet..

·
Registered
402 Posts
You're going to run into difficulties with lowering the bars. I've got a set of Fatbars which are slightly lower, slightly narrower, and farther forward, but you can't go far or the switchgear starts to interfere with the bodywork. You'd have to look at custom made bars but before doing so, measure clearance at full lock in both directions. Good luck-

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just got back from a 1900-mile, six day ride on the Multi--no freeways, all secondary roads, DFW TX to Talimena Scenic Byway (google it), then Harrison AR, many miles of surrounding roads (google RatRaid> Ride maps), back home via Talimena one more time.

I would still prefer some +/- 2" narrower bars, (and a bit more luggage space...) but for now, I'm really happy with the Multi. It ain't no Gold Wing (I have a 2008 1800 and have put 60k on it, plus 40k on it's predecessor, a 2004 1800) but for twisties the Multi is perfect, and for getting to the twisties, it's close enough to perfect.

As long as the twisties are a day away.
Or two, or ten, or a lifetime. That is where your individual idea of the perfect bike enters the picture....and again, where I say that if you have more than one bike, you are blessed. And probably conflicted....

Night before I left, two guys from Minnesota showed up at the hotel.
I pulled in from my day's ride as they were unloading, and we talked for a while.

They have been doing their ride, which includes a small amount of pavement and a large amount of trackable dirt... for the last six years.

One guy was my age (60+) riding a crusty Honda XR650 and the other was more like 40, riding a brandy-new DR400 (after having blown up his older DR350 last year on this ride)

After this ride, I want to return, and maybe join these guys but on my Cagiva Gran Canyon on 80/20 Heidenaus. I'll be miserable (and probably unreliable) on a 20-year old bike on dirty-bike tires all the way up there, but every time I venture off the pavement I'll be better off than I was on the Multi.

And if I tip over a 20-year old, $2500 Cagiva I'll cry a lot less than I would with a $9000 Multistrada....

Again, life is good, if I have these choices.

Enjoy every ride.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes i know.

Alot of guys on here run the Pro Taper Evo bar with custom Extenders (needed to fit all the controls) that used to be made from a member on here. Ive tried to reach him with no luck :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I came off a VFR800 with rear sets and lower bars, set up for touring, I thought it was perfect and the Multi was too upright. After 2K on the MS I've adjusted and the VFR feels like I'm contorted in to a pretzel, and I rode that thing for 120K miles.

You will most likely adjust and end up riding it as fast and smooth as the ST, it just takes a little adjustment period.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, but its about the only Duc the fits the bill of my riding "wants." I commute to and from work. I bomb up and down mountain passes. I gear up and take off weekends (sometimes weeks) with my wife... That's why I love the ST - It does all that. And the Multi can, too. That's why I'm asking.

Or is your response another way of saying adjustments are limited and that I'm just S-O-L?
Well, with enough money, anything is possible. As mentioned the clearance issues at full lock may present a problem with bars that suit your liking. Making your own rear sets could get your foot position where you want it. So SOL, no. For 10 years I loved the ergonomics of my Superhawk. The older I get, the more my wrists complained. My Multi feels absolutely perfect.

Maybe a local Multi owner would swap with you on a ride? I would if I were close enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts