Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2010 the Sportclassic range has been cut from 4 models to just , a sure sign that the Sportclassic is not long for this world. Details here.

What should Ducati replace it with? My hope is for a new Supersport, what's yours?

·
Registered
238 Posts
To tell the truth, I'm probably done with new bikes. Everything (even Ducati) is getting so angular and tedious; the "Transformers" generation is coming into cash I suppose. As someone wrote: Ducatis used to look like supermodels now they look like crack whores.

New Ducs barely run right because they have to vandalize them meet emissions requirements. Plus, technology is at the point now where bikes are so powerful we need even more technology to hamstring them. That's if the anti-theft system hasn't inadvertently paralyzed the thing due to a software glitch.

Anyway, for a fraction of the cost of a new Duc I can buy a used Monster or a gorgeous 90's Supersport, tear the thing apart and rebuild it into whatever I please: a simple, powerful, good-looking machine with a round headlight. Insurance will be cheaper too.

Bah, humbug. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those pesky multi cilinder numbers are ruining motorcycling! Back in my day, one was good enough! And it was called the Enfield! Why, if you can't handle the rattling and the smoking and the oil and the wrenching, you don't deserve to ride. It's too EASY.

·
Registered
846 Posts
id love to see a new supersport. would be very curious what ducati would do for design; the previous iteration was so gorgeous, id hope for a refresh similar to the 916-1098 transition (sans xx9).

·
Registered
245 Posts
What should Ducati replace it with? My hope is for a new Supersport, what's yours?
Sounds more like the question should be what you would replace your SC with? Reading the first 2 replies it sounds like people would rather look to the past rather than the future. That's my vote also! A Monster M900 perhaps or an MHR or even a R90S???

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily a past vs. future thing. It's more of a form and function vs, fad thing. I'd love a beautiful, well-conceived new machine. I loved the bikes Ducati produced up until, ironically, they canned Terblanche. The Monsters looked great, the classics looked great, the Supermono should be dangling from the ceiling of the Sistine chapel with God's finger touching it. I actually even liked the XX9 series. Terblanche was a great designer. Ducati should hire him. :D

The salesman at the local shop claims the previous gen superbike is starting to get a lot more interest now that people are disillusioned with the 1098's. Of course he was trying to sell me one at the time...

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Those pesky multi cilinder numbers are ruining motorcycling! Back in my day, one was good enough! And it was called the Enfield! Why, if you can't handle the rattling and the smoking and the oil and the wrenching, you don't deserve to ride. It's too EASY.
I had one of those for a while! It was a fun bike, and I didn't mind the rattling and smoking and wrenching and all that, but it couldn't keep up with traffic and the quality was pretty awful (it was one of the Indian Bullets). It was great fun around town though. I do miss the thing...

Debby

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's an evolution. I think the GT1000 will be around for a while. The SportClassic has it's flaws (call them personality quirks if you will), but it's a pretty sweet combination, actually. Even if they kill it, my guess would be it won't be too long before there's another 'classic' style bike in the Ducati lineup after the GT1000 goes away.

I think there's plenty of geezers like me who want a bike that's comfortable to ride everyday, doesn't involve inserting your head between your knees to ride, but still makes enough power to put a stupid grin on my face every time I twist my right hand. My Triumph Bonneville was easy to ride and near bulletproof, but never inspired that stupid grin I get every time I ride the Duc.

I think the sport wasn't selling well because the riding position was pretty extreme, and the folks who wanted to ride that shape of bike wanted more power anyway and will end up owning streetfighters or superbikes.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
my fear is that they kill the sport classics and then in 3 years bring back another classic model with a smaller engine, like Guzzi did with the V7, to compete with the Triumph and Guzzi and sporster buyers...

Anyway, when my DS1000 runs out of steam I'll look into fitting the 1100 EVO engine. I would imagine the new air cooled engine is more robust than the DS, and there will be a few years of road testing before I get there.. :D

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
. . . there's plenty of geezers like me who want a bike that's comfortable to ride everyday, doesn't involve inserting your head between your knees to ride, but still makes enough power to put a stupid grin on my face every time I twist my right hand . . .
+1 - geezers (d)rule:cool:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It's Easy!

If Ducati ever gave a hoot about saving the SC line, it would have been sooooo easy! Just make them better. Do what the on-line crew here has been doing with suspension, wheel, and power upgrades- not to mention the farkin' tanks!

They could still breath life into the GT- 1100cc, Ohlins, Better wheels...

What are the chances of THAT!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Claudio Domellicali said in 'Motor Cycle News' this week that there are no more new models and the Ducati line-up is now complete.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If Ducati ever gave a hoot about saving the SC line, it would have been sooooo easy! Just make them better. Do what the on-line crew here has been doing with suspension, wheel, and power upgrades- not to mention the farkin' tanks!

They could still breath life into the GT- 1100cc, Ohlins, Better wheels...

What are the chances of THAT!:rolleyes:
There's obviously a lot of people who like the the bikes with the mods you mentioned, but I'd suggest if Ducati is interested in boosting GT sales, they lower the price 15-20% and leave the bike as is (although yeah, a problem-free tank would be wise) and let buyers mod them (or not) according to their own tastes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It’s been said before but... This will only make the sport classic more of a true classic.

I got mine
I love mine
I will ride it till the wheels fall off

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
IMHO, they should have stuck to their original guns and only made the amount that were ordered for '06.

It would have helped retain the values for those of us who were on since day 1 and waited for sooooooo long to get them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To tell the truth, I'm probably done with new bikes. Everything (even Ducati) is getting so angular and tedious; the "Transformers" generation is coming into cash I suppose. As someone wrote: Ducatis used to look like supermodels now they look like crack whores.

New Ducs barely run right because they have to vandalize them meet emissions requirements. Plus, technology is at the point now where bikes are so powerful we need even more technology to hamstring them. That's if the anti-theft system hasn't inadvertently paralyzed the thing due to a software glitch.

Anyway, for a fraction of the cost of a new Duc I can buy a used Monster or a gorgeous 90's Supersport, tear the thing apart and rebuild it into whatever I please: a simple, powerful, good-looking machine with a round headlight. Insurance will be cheaper too.

Bah, humbug. ;)
Excellent summary, the "Transformers" have taken over but there is still the odd good looking crack whore in the crowd that I could park my arse on.
I'm hunting down an older 748, market is tight.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Every once in a while I get this feeling like I got in just in time with the Sport Classic. The new electronics are getting harder and harder to deal with. Tuning gets trickier, or more expensive. I wish my GT was simpler actually. I don't get much of a sense of security from the imobilizer, but do worry about it leaving me stranded (as I have been in my BMW car with my mom visiting one christmas eve when the car decided to quit recognizing the chip in the key). If I had a lot of money at my disposal I suppose I'd like to sample a lot of different bikes. As it is, I think I would be happy for a long time tinkering with *old* bikes. You know, like 2009 and earlier. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts