Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding for a while now, but I spend most of my time going to the track. However, lately I’ve been using my 848 to ride back roads in AR. I really enjoy it and I’m getting ready for a longer trip. This time a much longer trip (1 loop will be roughly 400miles which for me might as well be an IBR). As the distance travel grows it dawns on me that just throwing on my jacket, topping up the tank might not be enough for a good day of riding. Which brings up the downside of a bike like the 848.

The downside of any sport bike is that they have no storage space built in (that pocket under the pillion doesn’t count). You can add a tank bag or one of those tail rack/bag things, but I’m not wild about either. The tank bag is a pain for refueling because it sits on the gas cap, it also potentially scratches up the tank’s paint. The tail bag thing doesn’t thrill me because I don’t want to bolt on that ugly crap. I only get out occasionally, the rest of the time it’s either on the track of around town so having that rack bolted on doesn’t fly with me. I want my baby looking her dead sexy best. The result is that I wear a backpack.

What goes in the backpack is much on my mind now because I’m getting two or three hundred miles away from rescue. So what all should be in there?
Here is what I’m starting with:
  • Tire patch kit
  • Small bicycle pump
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Zip ties
  • Duct tape
  • Multitool
  • First aid kit
  • Flash light w/ spare batteries
  • Camel back bladder (the backpack has a pocket for a hydration system)
I created an Amazon list for most of this stuff
I’m trying to keep things light. Is there anything else that might be added?

·
Registered
725 Posts
THE 3 most important things

- AAA membership (RV premier) 4 100 mile tows, 1 200 mile tow
- cell phone
- credit card

You can not bring everything, and this is a battle I have with myself everytime I take a trip. how much gear -vs- how much weight/space

For long multi-day trips, I take way too much

For day or overnight trips I take just what is need for simple jobs, like adjusting the chain, adjusting - replacing headlight, flat tire, etc ...

.... and take a condom because you just never know

·
Señor Member
8,303 Posts
As to what to pack, the lists above have good examples. For what to use, here are some pictures of my bike with Nelson Rigg bags. They strap securely to the bike, are easily removed, and carried enough gear for a weekend. They come with a lifetime warranty and are reasonably priced. The link below is to their website.

Home

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
As to what to pack, the lists above have good examples. For what to use, here are some pictures of my bike with Nelson Rigg bags. They strap securely to the bike, are easily removed, and carried enough gear for a weekend. They come with a lifetime warranty and are reasonably priced. The link below is to their website.

Home
Those are slick bags.

You need to mow your grass. :)

·
Señor Member
8,303 Posts
You need to mow your grass. :)
A guy that does body work has the worst looking car. A guy that does plumbing has leaky pipes. A doctor is usually his own best drug customer. Why would I want to have to cut my own lawn? Duh.

·
Señor Member
8,303 Posts
I've moved since those pictures were taken. This is what my front yard looks like now. Not too much to take care of. The back is about the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had great luck with Ventura Luggage systems on my 999. Best thing I ever did after suffering with a bunch of different side and tail bags on my CBR, zx9r, and cb-1. Loads of space even 2 up. At first it seems funky, but with 4 bolts I can take everything off if I like, but I usually leave the side bars on and insert the grab handle, looks fine, no scratches, no problems and I have a back pack when I'm off the bike if I need.

Motorcycle Luggage & Accessories Online | Tank & Seat Bags, Saddlebags, Panniers | Ventura MCA

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had great luck with Ventura Luggage systems on my 999. Best thing I ever did after suffering with a bunch of different side and tail bags on my CBR, zx9r, and cb-1. Loads of space even 2 up. At first it seems funky, but with 4 bolts I can take everything off if I like, but I usually leave the side bars on and insert the grab handle, looks fine, no scratches, no problems and I have a back pack when I'm off the bike if I need.

Motorcycle Luggage & Accessories Online | Tank & Seat Bags, Saddlebags, Panniers | Ventura MCA
Do you have a photo you could post with the bags on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts