Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Dymag makes some extremely trick tubeless carbon spokers for Monsters. Any idea if they can be adapted?

·
Registered
92 Posts

WWW.DYMAG.COM

They would look fantastic on a black sport but fortunately for my wallet I like the factory wheels on the PS.

·
Registered
310 Posts
drewogatory said:
Pricey, I agree. But no excuse for tubes in 2006. And I ,for one ,am not so pleased w/ the stock tires.

I'm not sure if I'm not pleased with them or just not comfortable. I've been on the latest sportbike tires for years now, and these are definitely not sportbike tires, at least as far as the profile is concerned. My service manager assures me that he can get a lightweight tube for me and I can run Pilot Powers whenever I want. Think I'll go that route when the stock tires wear out. :think:

·
Registered
323 Posts
drewogatory said:
Pricey, I agree. But no excuse for tubes in 2006. And I ,for one ,am not so pleased w/ the stock tires.

Again we get back to the driving force behind the SportClassics. They were meant to be as retro as possible. The tires, to my understanding, were custom made by Pirelli just for this application. They are direct replicas of the original tires offered in '73.

read for yourself http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2888&Page=2

"But these are no ordinary tubed tires. If you think you've seen that tread pattern before, you're right - they're purpose-designed, all-new Pirelli Phantoms. As Sport Classic Project Leader Dan Van Epps explains: "We wanted a tube-type tire because of the wire wheels, but we wanted the tread to replicate the old Phantom pattern. So we approached Pirelli and they were happy to oblige - but with modern sizes, compounds and construction." The result is the new Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp. And to anyone over 35 who remembers sports tires of the early '80s, they're absolutely fabulous."

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been on the latest sportbike tires for years now, and these are definitely not sportbike tires
The tires are Pirelli Diablos with a retro tread pattern. I haven't pushed these tires to anywhere near their limits but I haven't been to the track yet. What kind of problems are you having? Are they sliding out in turns? I've found them to be exceptionally sticky in the limited amount of time I've put on them. I liked them well enough that I ordered a set of Diablos to replace the Pilots on my YZF. The only issue I have, and it's probably the geometry of the bike and what I'm used to, is that the bike turns in a little slow. Once I got used to it, it felt right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's on two of my bikes and the tire profile looks quite different than the ones on the Sport 1000.

I think a more rounded tire profile will let the bike really fall into the turns :D

I do however feel comfortable on the stock tires except when riding on grooved pavement. Yep, it's a retro tire with retro problems on the super slab.

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wandering on the rain grooves is def. one factor. The stockers are a little sketchy in the wet as well,probably the vintage tread pattern at work again. I just don't like the feedback they give me,although my suspension set-up is far from dialed in yet. But most of all I think the rims are trick. Anyone out there with fitment advice?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I haven't ridden in the rain yet, but going over some local steel bridges (steel gridded squares, maybe 1"x1") is a real thrill. They are all over the place! Never had that problem on my last few sportbikes. Sand: lots of sand still on the roads around here, leftover from winter. These tires are VERY squirelly (sic) in the stuff. On warm dry pavement, no problems, but because I don't trust 'em (yet), I'm just not comfortable. And maybe that's why I've still got a chicken strip! That's odd for me, 'cause I'm usually all the way over to the edge of the tire within a 100 miles or so of a new set. With these tires, it seems like I'd have to go WAY over to get rid of the strip. Could be that discomfort, I don't know :think:, but overall, I'm very happy with the bike. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. In for a penny... I gotta have these wheels. Plus, I'm guessing caliper clearance will no longer be an issue. I wonder if radials would fit? Although the Ohlins radial mount kit( http://www.hardracing.com/images/OhlinsRM.jpg ) is pricey and not an easy install,i'm guessing! I'm playing e-mail tag with the folks @ Dymag over fitment but it looks pretty straightforward. I think I'm going Brembo with the brakes. http://www.hardracing.com/Brembo/BremboMC.htm That should fix the clutch pull as well,although the bigger slave works very well on it's own. Not sure which tires I'll run yet, I need to check over in the Monster forum and see what's been working.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you go with the brembo brake master, I recommend the switch kit. Very clean and functional. Better looking than the clunky pressure switch banjo's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
pazzoduc said:
If you go with the brembo brake master, I recommend the switch kit. Very clean and functional. Better looking than the clunky pressure switch banjo's.
Agreed. I have the switch kit on my SP, and it works nicely. Also, the banjo pressure switch is too long and might not clear the bodywork at full lock--it didn't on the SP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
more rare than you might think.....

those wheels were very limited production.
i've tried a couple times to get those for my customers, to no avail.
they look awesome, but i heard some inside rumors that the spokes on those have a tendency to loosen, after VERY short rides....

alpina makes some amazing rims. i know that they make beautiful ones for the monster..... i don't know if they're available here or not, but man, are they gorgeous! and tubeless!
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, Tim from Dymag responded with a size question,sure didn't seem like the wheels were out of production. :think:

·
ROF
686 Posts
motocorsakat said:
alpina makes some amazing rims. i know that they make beautiful ones for the monster..... i don't know if they're available here or not, but man, are they gorgeous! and tubeless!
:)
Tired to get info on Alpina tubeless spoked wheels from Pronet but they sent my request to Alpina.

Alphina got back to me and indicated that they hope to have a wheel soon for the PS. They are also testing another wheel from a different Ducati to see if it will work on the PS (I am guessing this all holds true for the Sport 1000, but not sure about the GT).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll buy your stock wheels!

If anyone wants to sell their stock wheels to finance a nicer set, then I will buy your Sport or PS wheels! PM me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts