Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up the restoration of my '73 Sport and would like to replace the original Scarab front caliper with a new Brembo for better braking. Anybody know the model I need (P08?)? And do I have to change the master cylinder as well? Thnx.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The best caliper is a Lockheed racing caliper, which was the one that Scarab copied (badly) and there is also a Brembo type to replace the scarab. I don't know the number, but it is obvious if you see a picture that it is the correct one. I would replace the master cylinder too as the Scarab usually leaks from the filler cap. Most people use the square Brembo master cylinder.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The best caliper is a Lockheed racing caliper.."

Thanks Duccout. I assume you mean a period Lockheed?

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you have done a restoration wouldn't you prefer to have the correct brake on the front? What is wrong with the Scarab system at present?
Ian

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yes, period Lockheed caliper, the same type as used on racing triples and Paul Smart's Imola winner. They are available new.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eldert and Duccout - just what I was looking for.

Ian - Originality is very important to me but I had heard the original Scarabs were not the greatest. I want to ride the bike and enjoy it. The Scarabs will stay with the bike so that the next owner will have them.

If anyone has experience with the Scarabs, let me know.

Bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
The brembo caliper is the rear caliper of a Passo from memory, bolts straight on.
There is someone making new alloy pistons and seals for the old Scarab calipers and you can have the master resleved to take a modern brembo kit. Something i am planing to do myself some time .Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My early '74 GT (bought new in '74) came with a single Scarab on the trailing (dual) mounts. Though I did save the original gear, I went to dual 108 Brembos and a period Lockheed MC. When the MC needed a rebuild I went to a Brembo MC that looks the part. I always use Silicone fluid, which is the reason the calipers, which I installed in 1975, still had perfect seals, BTW. It's nice to have correct gear on the bike, but it's even nicer to have excellent brakes.

Reactions: kwakanut

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My early '74 GT (bought new in '74) came with a single Scarab on the trailing (dual) mounts. Though I did save the original gear, I went to dual 108 Brembos and a period Lockheed MC. When the MC needed a rebuild I went to a Brembo MC that looks the part. I always use Silicone fluid, which is the reason the calipers, which I installed in 1975, still had perfect seals, BTW. It's nice to have correct gear on the bike, but it's even nicer to have excellent brakes.
How soon after you bought the bike did you switch over to the Brembo Scrannel? And why? I imagine dual brakes in the front is a huge improvement - did you find the Scarab lacking right away?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My 750 Sport came new with a single Scarab. The master cylinder leaked from day one and after a year or so the caliper followed suit. I bought a used Lockheed caliper at a race meet and swapped the Scarab for that, partnered with a Brembo master cylinder. Later I added a second Lockheed. No problems at all in 30 years of ownership, plus fantastic brakes!

·
Registered
241 Posts
How soon after you bought the bike did you switch over to the Brembo Scrannel? And why? I imagine dual brakes in the front is a huge improvement - did you find the Scarab lacking right away?
Swapped out for Brembo brakes and Lockheed M/C about six months into ownership. As pointed out by others, leaks were issue and, yes, dual brakes were a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! I'm happy with my decision to upgrade. I bought the bike in rough shape years ago and have never ridden it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. I know it will be very different from my Darmah even though they are both twins and only 5 years apart.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It's a matter of taste! Personally I find the 750 a perfect blend of torque and driveability, but others prefer the beefier feel of the 860 engine. To each his own.....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just a last word on Scarabs. In the photo of an 850 MV Monza that I restored a number of years ago you will see A twin disc Scarab brake system that was rebuilt using modern materials by a chap in Germany. Worked beautifully and still does. Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
561 Posts
Current owner is happy and I have fitted Scarabs to my green frame replica which is just about done but not with callipers from my German guy. He did the master cylinder and hoses along with the correct hose and fittings for the rear Lockheed set up. Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of great input - thanks everyone. I'll let you know which way I go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts