Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a very nice yellow '07 Sport here in Bangkok at the Duc dealer. I love the look but it has clip ons:(. I have ridden my brother's Paul Smart and I loved it; but after 50 km my wrists and everything was hurting. BKK is upright city riding at its most crazy!! :eek: So ...

So, what is an easy mod to put a "real" handle bar on this bike? Any suggestions? Otherwise I might just have to get that nice '07 Monster.

By the way bikes here are very highly priced. This '07 will run me about $18k
USD ... but you only live once.

BangkokMoose

Ducati .. pending
'00 ZRX 1100 with mods in storage - UK
'01 Speed Triple in USA - Brother riding it like he stole it!

·
Banned
303 Posts
You get used to the riding position after awhile and the pain goes away but not a good bike for riding in traffic.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
get the gt instead. or there are options with a monster upper triple and bars. You might have to change out the cables for longer ones. Speedy moto has a sport with upright handle bars. I think speedy moto might make and upper triple that will work. Otherwise, get a good machinist put on a set of handlebar mounts on your bike.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If You do not want a GT, You can put GT bar mounts and tubular handle bars of your choice on it. I machined the top clamp for them, but you could buy a gt clamp and it will be a bolt on. JS

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am looking at a very nice yellow '07 Sport here in Bangkok at the Duc dealer. I love the look but it has clip ons:(. I have ridden my brother's Paul Smart and I loved it; but after 50 km my wrists and everything was hurting. BKK is upright city riding at its most crazy!! :eek: So ...
Hiya,
I messed up my shoulders a few years ago by not using them properly. (Rock climbing.) So I hope I'm allowed to say this: If your wrists hurt badly when you're riding a bike, it's a pretty strong indication that you're not sitting properly on it. I'm not saying "you're an unworthy person if a Paul Smart ride makes you sore", definitely not, but an aggressive sport bike isn't like a chair: It's not obvious how to use it :)

Sorry if you know all of this already and I'm being a bore, but if your wrists are sore, there's weight on them that shouldn't be there. You can probably learn a new sitting position that makes riding a whole lot more comfortable, fun AND safe.

This is also definitely not to say that you shouldn't take the clip-ons off, btw.

Anyway - most importantly: Buy the bike! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The Paul Smart clipons are lower than the S clipons by a bunch. The S clipons are from Ducati Performance. They are about $140-$150. I have a set for sale, $80.

Rizoma makes some nice risers that will fit after machining of the top triple clamp. Then you can use any standard or fat bar depending on which risers Rizoma you get. With maching it will run you about $300-$320 total. Do search for Rizoma risers. Lee C started a good thread on them.

The new Aprilla Tuono has some trick risers and fat bars that may be worth investigating if you like them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It depends also a bit on your height and reach… i ride a 07 Biposto and also the clip-ons are higher, i would not consider it a good bike for city rides… traffic in my hometown is nothing compared to Bangkok:D

This is my contribution to a "Mega-City" bike without compromise on the windy roads in the backcountry…

http://www.ktm690supermoto.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a GT for around town and pillion duties it's a more comfortable position in traffic. The Sport looks the goods IMHO

I have put 4000klms on a Jap litre sportsbike in the last month....and the secret to comfort on that style of bike is light grip on the bars, use your knees & gut muscles to hold you up....avoid traffic and ride above 80kph. At lights take a break and sit up ( and prey that you don't need to move in an emergency....common sense will tell you when it's safe to do that).

Cheers Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts