Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've decided to fully dedicate my 848 as a track toy. As such, I'm scheduled to pick a sport classic biposto this weekend. I've heard mixed reviews with respect to the stock tires and thus I'm contemplating an alternative set; specifically Pilot Powers.

Can the sport classic owners provide any insight on the stock tires? As far as the owners who have replace them, which tires did you opt for? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The stock tires stick pretty well. My issue with them was that they follow ruts and grooved pavement something terrible, at least on my GT. I changed them before the rear was really worn out at about 4700 miles, so they do wear well also.

I put Pilot Powers on mine and like them a lot. I picked them because of the 'pointy' profile thinking that they'd make the GT turn in quicker, and they seem to.

I've put since Bridgestone BT-016's on my Aprilia, and am super impressed with them. The edges would probably overheat and get greasy on the track, but even with very aggressive steet riding (in the appropriate places, mind you...) they don't overheat, and stick like farking glue. They are wearing better than the Pilot Powers too- not at all squared off at almost 3000 miles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Classics are better than the Pirelli Phantoms. Neither will compare to pilot powers though. I thought that the Pilot Classics were pretty good for stickiness and were very predictable. I had confidence in them and knew pretty well what they were capable of. I don't find the Phantoms as predictable or as confidence inspiring. Only reason I replaced my Pilot Classics with the Phantoms is because the price was right (Thanks Mr.Green). The Phantoms are still ok though. When I replace them I'm probably gonna go with BT-021 or PR2. I might consider BT-016 or PP2CT but don't know if my riding really warrants a true sport tire.

·
Banned
210 Posts
The stock tyre last good for general everyday road use, I get 8-9000 klms out of a rear if I keep the pressure up to it . They are a std diablo with the phantom tread cut , as far as I know . The front wears extremely well , but goes off in feel ( feels rock hard now ) . Can still get along at a fair pace but its smoothly , smoothly as we go on the front . Not confidence inspiring at all for fast scratching, on tight windy roads , but then again neithers the bike.

If I was you id take the stockers off and keep them for when you sell it , put anything else you like on it . If you can afford a track bike , keeping fresh road rubber up to it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I went through two sets of stock Phantoms, a set of Pirelli Scorpion Synchs, a set of Pirelli Diablos, a set of Michelin Pilot Power Sports, a set of Pirelli Diablo Rossos, and I'm now on my second set of Dunlop D616. I like the Dunlops the best so far. They wear pretty well and they stick really well, wet or dry. In fact, I can ride nearly as fast on them when it's wet as I can when it's dry. I have them on my PS and on my Ape.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hello everyone,
I've decided to fully dedicate my 848 as a track toy. As such, I'm scheduled to pick a sport classic biposto this weekend. I've heard mixed reviews with respect to the stock tires and thus I'm contemplating an alternative set; specifically Pilot Powers.

Can the sport classic owners provide any insight on the stock tires? As far as the owners who have replace them, which tires did you opt for? Thanks in advance.
I've personally enjoyed the stock set of tires the SC line came with. I'm on my second pair of the Pirelli Phantoms and they've performed great to me. Now their def. not as soft and sticky as so many others out there, but they have never let me down, wear really nice and hang onto the best of roads / corners. Yes, they love getting wobbly on grooved hwys, but as they wear, this issue fades.

I say, throw the book at them man, hit some good roads and really make them work for you. Again, they're not the absolute best, but to me, they were never a concern that made me go out and spend more money on another set. If after you've gotten a feel, that should influence your potential next choice.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
My GT came with the Michelins and I've been happy with them. Turn-in is neutral, they seem to stick ok, and they wear like iron - at 7000 miles I'm finally down to the wearout bars on the rear.

I haven't noticed any tracking on rain grooves etc. at all, but the bike had 4500 miles when I got it so perhaps the tires had already worn down enough to stop the wiggling. I've noticed that with my vintage bikes. If you think a Sport Classic is bad about that, try a Norton Commando with K81s! I don't have to ride much on rain grooves though so to me it's not that much of an issue.

I've been considering just getting another set of Pilot Classics, but if they wiggle when new I guess I'd rather get something else...

Debby

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hello everyone,

The stock Pilot Classics suck. They wander in the rain grooves and do not grip well. My dealer described them as being "hard as a Vicar's prick" after he went down on his PS on them.

I've had good luck with Dunlop Qualifiers and Sportmax.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
I had no confidence in the Pirelli Phantoms that came on my Sport. I installed Michelin Pilot Powers and couldn't believe the improvement in handling and feedback.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Stock tires are OK, but most new tires will be an upgrade. I put on some Avon Storm ST's last week and they really work great. I went with the Sport Touring tire as they are dual compund, are great in the rain, provide good mileage and provide a much plusher ride than the traditional sport tire. Even with upgraded front springs, the GT still has lousy dampening.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
milage

I get 7 to 8,000 miles on the rear and 11 to 12,000 miles on the front...
I like the phantoms ok... I mean for the GT how far can you really push it?
Now on my Supersport I can ride aggressively and I like Michelin tires Power ct on front and Road 2 on the rear

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Classics are better than the Pirelli Phantoms. . . The Phantoms are still ok though.
Agree. The Pilot Classics that came stock on my GT were nice tires indeed, and perfect for my kind of riding. The heavy steel wheels had to go, though, so I mounted up a set of light alloy wheels off of a Paul Smart. These came with Pirelli Phantoms, and I left them in place. Handling and stability are degraded, not to any dangerous extent, but the bike is just less enjoyable. They're do-able for awhile longer. Then, it's different tires. Anything but Phantoms.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Good idea Spooner

If I was you id take the stockers off and keep them for when you sell it , put anything else you like on it . If you can afford a track bike , keeping fresh road rubber up to it shouldnt be a problem.
i like Spooners Idea, I have a set of Alpina's on the way and will probably do just this and keep the phantoms mounted to the stock wheels for resale.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I got about 900kms on my Pirrelli Phantom classics...that's how long it took me to replace the wheels with Carrozzaria rims and decent rubber. The stock rubber replicates the old tread pattern..... and grip! Not enough feedback, wanders in road grooves, little or no warning on slip. Overall, a pretty good touring tire but pretty shit for anything else. Horses for courses.
go the new Pilot Pures - FANTASTIC street squid tire.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I rode with the original Pirellis for 3 years then switched to the Power Pilots....like night and day... the handling is out of this world! It's like riding a new bike!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello everyone,

They suck get rid of them, best up grade is any modern tire.

dogtown

1 - 20 of 27 Posts