Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After restoring and selling my 2nd Guzzi LeMans mkI, I chose the SC1000 - a modern bike in a true classic cafe-racer style. All praise to the internet and to Google, which made finding and importing all the bits and often talking with suppliers possible. Nearly all of those are in the US and I want to add, hats off to American businesses. I found all the bike people in the States I dealt with to be very friendly, reasonable and helpful. Thanks to all of you.

First up, I wanted the 70s style half fairing and the symetrical exhaust look of the biposto - but not in the only color available in 07: red with red frame and black spoked wheels. So after checking that a Ducati yellow photo-shopped color conversion looked good, I had an imported fairing color-matched to the yellow tank, black frame, alloy-spoked, bi-posto model. Eagle Screens on the other side of the continent in Perth Western Australia, supplied the immaculate bolt-on dark screen - not quite in the 70s racer tradition but I think an improvement on the overall look of the bike.

Next, I imported the Termis, polished off the black, removed the baffles and dyno'd the motor with the supplied sports filter and ECU. That immediately removed all low-rev chain chatter and increased low end torque.

The dual spark DS engine is amazing, same for the gearbox, clutch and electrics. But handling, stopping and exhaust performance were all below the standard expected of a bike at the SC price.

First stage in improving handling was to get rid of the speed wobbles. Took care of that by attaching the the (old-style) side-mounted Ceriani damper - which was made for this model Ducati. A local racing suspension business upgraded the fork internals to a fully adjustable street-track standard. The Beringer brakes are incredible, but a bit on the expensive side. Imported them through Euromotaz USA. Fantastic service from those guys, which was a great help as Beringer's claim that these triple-piston calipers were a bolt-on was wide of the mark.

With the exception of the Aella (from Japan) carbon fibre hugger, radiator protector, crank case inspection plate, and the GSR alloy filler cap, all the other blingy bits (gold adjustable levers, mirrors, grips, fluid reservoirs) are from Rizoma - Italian-made but imported through PJ's Parts in the US. To me Rizoma make the most stylish alloy parts for this model.

Still undecided about a tail-chop: my Guzzis and friends' Dukes back in the 70s were long and lean looking. Not sure the squat street-fighter look would be right for this style bike. However. I did replace the round chrome indicators with a set of black rounded rectangular shaped ones. Looks better I think.

Overall, I'm very happy with the look of the bike. Speed, handling and braking are now way superior to the OEM that I bought in late 07. I have had absolutely zero problems with transmission, electrics, engine, seating position, fuel tank or anything else.

Hope you like it too, and thanks for looking.

Chris.
Melbourne, Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, very nice.
I am pretty sure I have seen it in the flesh in Elizabeth Street one Saturday morning.
That would be right. Started riding there in 1970!! with my Bonneville and then 500 Suzuki (two stroke) - both of which were custom-painted by the legendary Vic Bogner. In those days no street bikes came with a fairing, so we designed our own and Vic painted them too.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Absolutely Superb!! :D

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Chapeau… very nice bike and cool mods
I absolutely agree with you concerning the long rear… i thought a lot about the tail light and licence plate holder and came to the conclusion that it balances the proportions… especially on bikes with fairring or without cowl

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Beauty. How much do you want for it, including shipping to the US? :) :)

I have those same grips on my GT1000 and was pleasantly surprised to notice they reduce vibration as well. Maybe something about the way they are mounted gives them some isolation from the bars? Let me know if you noticed that as well or if its just in my head.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Super clean and tidy. A fantastic looking bike and something you can really be proud of.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great job! tasty!

so... the beringuers fitted with oem wheels? not hitting the spokes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great job! tasty!

so... the beringuers fitted with oem wheels? not hitting the spokes?
About the Beringer brakes ... well, no the clearance is OK ... now. But I went through a lot of problems to get this sorted out. The offset on the calipers is fine ;;; so long as you also fit the Beringer floating discs. That wasn't my original intention, that is until the guys at Ducati City here in Melbourne told me the calipers wouldn't align to the OEM Ducati-supplied discs. So as I said, buying the discs as well as the calipers turns fitting these stoppers - which are fantastic brakes - into an expensive exercise - but I wouldn't hesitate recommending Beringers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Beauty. How much do you want for it, including shipping to the US? :) :)

I have those same grips on my GT1000 and was pleasantly surprised to notice they reduce vibration as well. Maybe something about the way they are mounted gives them some isolation from the bars? Let me know if you noticed that as well or if its just in my head.
Hey Barfer, I agree about the Rizoma grips. Even though there's no padding there does seem to be less vibration through them and you get a more sold feel for the weight, pitch and travel of the bike through them.

About selling this one: not at the moment. But maybe when I can afford my dream V-twin - a Paul Godet 1300 all titanium Egli-Vincent - I'll let you know. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
you mentioned the dyno improved low end chain chatter and low end torque.. I am curious if I decide to purchase the Termi kit and have it tuned if this would help with some of the vibrations I feel throught he rearsets. It's a high frequency vibe that seems to numb my feet.

Anyone else get vibes?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
That's a nice looking bike alright.

Have you thought of fitting the fairing lowers?

It must get pretty windy on your legs without.. :think:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts