• Work on it for while and sell off parts on Ebay

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 664 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the discission that I want to do my own project bike. Something based on a Sport Classic, but with a mix of different components to make the bike unique and just mine. Now, I am not just talking about just bolt on parts, but serious mods. I am thinking it wont be pure Sport Classic any more , but mabe a little Superbike/Street Fighter.

Start with a 06 Sport Classic

Single sided Monster Swingarm
999 rear shock
new seat and tail assembly to tweak the position a little
Modify the tank to make it all work
803 R&T forks
Magnesium wheels
Billet everything

1000DS motor
OS Pistons
Cams
Lightened Crank
Microtec ECU
Custom Exhaust

I'm sure I am missing a bunch, but thats the fun part, making it all work.

Sounds like a big project. Time to get started. No deadline to hit, just get it done when its done

I'll post pics along the way.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have made the discission that I want to do my own project bike. Something based on a Sport Classic, but with a mix of different components to make the bike unique and just mine. Now, I am not just talking about just bolt on parts, but serious mods. I am thinking it wont be pure Sport Classic any more , but mabe a little Superbike/Street Fighter.

Start with a 06 Sport Classic

Single sided Monster Swingarm
999 rear shock
new seat and tail assembly to tweak the position a little
Modify the tank to make it all work
803 R&T forks
Magnesium wheels
Billet everything

1000DS motor
OS Pistons
Cams
Lightened Crank
Microtec ECU
Custom Exhaust

I'm sure I am missing a bunch, but thats the fun part, making it all work.

Sounds like a big project. Time to get started. No deadline to hit, just get it done when its done

I'll post pics along the way.

Wish me luck

Good luck. I can't wait to see the single swingarm on it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I like a good freinkenstein project. Since the 06 is the only year with the single sided shock, I would keep that beautiful swingarm. Change everything else. But if you do take it off, I'm sure there are some guys here that would want it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Time, Money, & Imagination are "ALL" it takes to get this done. You've got imagination...

Hope you can pull it off, sounds like you've envisioned a cool & fun ride.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been gathering up the parts.

I have a 06 Sport classic frame, and a 05 Monster S4 frame.

Since I am going to use the Monster SSSA and linkage, I will also need to tool of the Monster frame.

Since the motor mounts are the same, here is what I will do.

Speedy Moto make a Swingarm support tool for the DS bikes to keep the swingarm attached when the motor is out. I will take this tool and mount it into the Monster frame, and make an extension that goes between the linkage/rocker tabs. I will then weld this into place on the fixture.

Next, I will put this tool/fixture in the Sport Classic frame and have the exact placement for the tabs. I will then build around this.

Off to work on this today.

Here is the Speedy Moto tool

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah would you be willing to part with the swing arm?

I have been gathering up the parts.

I have a 06 Sport classic frame, and a 05 Monster S4 frame.

Since I am going to use the Monster SSSA and linkage, I will also need to tool of the Monster frame.

Since the motor mounts are the same, here is what I will do.

Speedy Moto make a Swingarm support tool for the DS bikes to keep the swingarm attached when the motor is out. I will take this tool and mount it into the Monster frame, and make an extension that goes between the linkage/rocker tabs. I will then weld this into place on the fixture.

Next, I will put this tool/fixture in the Sport Classic frame and have the exact placement for the tabs. I will then build around this.

Off to work on this today.

Here is the Speedy Moto tool

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some work started today on the project.

Fitted the motor tool to the Monster and made an extension to locate the shock tabs.

Fit it to the Sport Classic frame to get an idea of where the new linkage mounts will have to be.

Took out the chop saw and hacked off the back end of the Sport classic frame.

Some FYI.

A complete monster frame weighs 28 lbs
A complete Sport Classic frame weighs 25 pounds
The back half I cut off the Sport Classic frame weighs 8 pounds

For any of you who think your frame is made of some special material - your wrong, its junk steel. I would call it pipe before tube as it is straight up .120 wall seamed, not Cr-Mo Steel not even DOM. I wonder if they are all like this?

Here are some pics of the progress

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wow....great project.

Good luck and enjoy your mods....Cheers Roger

Do I think it will be finished ?? .....yes.......will you always be tinkering ? YES :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
For any of you who think your frame is made of some special material - your wrong, its junk steel. I would call it pipe before tube as it is straight up .120 wall seamed, not Cr-Mo Steel not even DOM.
I understand you want to make a point, and I think I get the point :D.
I also think it is significant info, so bear with me.
I presume "junk steel" you mean "just steel".
Difference between pipe and tube is that tube is supposed to be butted?
How can you tell it is not Cr-MO?
What is DOM?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry if my term "junk" was a bit harsh, I should have said plain old steel. Most likely 1018. I am in the Bicycle Industry and have built many bikes with the nicest steel around. So when I see something like what this frame was built from, I would compare it to cutting up a Huffy from Walmart and what it would be made from. I would say the same about the welding as well. Now, does it get the job done, yes, is it perfectly suited for what 99% of the people will use this for - yes. So it is fine. Could it be made from much higher quality material to save some weight and improve the strength - Sure, But it is a production bike after all.

So, How do I know its not Ch-mo steel. - Well, I dont have a lab to test it, but nowhere have I ever seen any quality tubing with a seam not drawn out of it. DOM means drawn over mandrel

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks,
Ducati states their frames are made of ALS 450 steel, which doesn't seem to be a recognized industrial alloy.
It doesn't seem that different steel is used for the 696 monster v. the 1198R

Here's what I found from the Motorcyclist Q&A:

According to technical types at the home office, the alloy in question is also known as Fe E 420 or E420M UNI 10296-1. ALS is common shorthand for alloy steel, and 450 is the factory's designation for this particularly complicated alloy. More corrosion-resistant than the familiar 4130 chrome moly (a.k.a. chromoly) variety, it's relatively easy to weld and has what engineers like to call "a high modulus of elasticity," making it more durable in a tip-over. ALS 450 debuted in the '95 916's steel-trellis skeleton, and is also employed on the Desmosedici RR, using a different diameter to maintain rigidity without increasing wall thickness. The 15.8-lb. Desmo-sedici RR frame uses four different tubes ranging from 18 to 28mm in diameter, with a wall-thickness of 1.5 to 2mm.​

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
cool project - i'll be following closely, as i'm actually doing something along similar lines and would love to learn from your project.

999 frame, ss1000ds swingarm, carbed ds1000 motor, custom cafe tail.
when my triples arrive (soon, i hope) i'll be ready to start cutting metal :D

keep us posted with progress pics!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Been thinking of how I want the rider position on the bike. I feel like the saddle height is a bit low as well as the pegs. What I am going to do is copy the position of my 848. I have a set of Acculigns on my 848 and I have adapter brackets to fit the Sport Classic. I am going to make a quick fixture to bolt to the rearsets and the subframe on the 848, bridging to the triples. These 3 points will give me my height, extension and saddle angle. I'll work on that tomorrow. For now, here is what I am thinking for the frame lay-out.

Sorry about the crappy paint software, but it gets the point across. I use CAD all day and I dont feel like using it for my "fun" projects. Its good to work like a caveman sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts

very interesting project..............
i cant help but think it would look better if you lost the tube between the rearsets and the subframe,(ala ncr supersports} the tube you add for the top linkage would support the suframe enough id imagine?
sometime in march i hope to get my sc1k project underway as well,keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
very interesting project..............
i cant help but think it would look better if you lost the tube between the rearsets and the subframe,(ala ncr supersports} the tube you add for the top linkage would support the suframe enough id imagine?
sometime in march i hope to get my sc1k project underway as well,keep up the good work
Yes I would agree it would look better and be enough for the subframe. However I feel there would not be much boxing in the rear motor mount. Adding those upright will really stiffen up the rear mount which I think will help in overall frame stiffness.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only have a couple of hours after work at night to work on this project before I need to go home and see my family. Here is a little clean-up work getting ready to start bending some tubes and seeing how it fits up. took the dimple out of the frame on the left inside rail. I'll make room for the harness in the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I see these pictures, I have to force myself not to run down to check on my PS and make sure everything still there... engine, wheels, forks :D

So what steel are you using for the new frame sections? Any risk of conflict with the ALS450 ?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a little more work done, but it has been a busy week at work. This is the subframe fixture made of my 848, and then transferred to the sport classic. The bike will end up with the same ergos and geometry. Some new pictures:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 664 Posts