Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

A couple of weekends ago, I purchased a brand new sport 1000 (biposto). I rode a little that weekend. This past Friday, I rode to work and parked in a garage. Later that evening, I attempted to start the bike and nothing. It appeared to be a dead battery. I pondered whether I had left the bike in the Park position. I didn't think I did but wouldn't wager my life on it. I called Ducati Roadside and because of the time, they suggested I leave the bike there overnight. The following morning, I rented a Haul van and brought the bike to my dealership. I was told it was a faulty battery and it was subsequently replaced (covered under warranty). Early Saturday evening, I was riding home and as I got off my exit, I pulled over to make a call. Afterwards, I attempted to start the bike, the same thing happenned. Dead bike. Long story short, I had to push it the rest of the way (1 mile). I am waiting to hear back from the dealership. I also have an 848 and never experienced any issues. Have any sport classic owners suffer similar instances or can anyone offer any theories on what it could be? It's a 2009 and barely has 200 miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had a similar issue on my 06, parked up and got some fuel. Went to start bike and it was dead, no response at all.

Recovery guy could not get bike started. got it relayed to dealer and they kept it over night.

they put it on full charge.

Picked up next day and it has been fine ever since.

I just guessed being Italian, all the electricity had fallen out somewhere.

·
Registered
985 Posts
We need a few more symtpoms to chew on. Was it totally dead,with no instrument lights and no guage needle sweep when the key was turned on, or did you hear nothing at all when you touched the starter button? No clunk, no buzz, no nothing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We need a few more symtpoms to chew on. Was it totally dead,with no instrument lights and no guage needle sweep when the key was turned on, or did you hear nothing at all when you touched the starter button? No clunk, no buzz, no nothing?
The horn worked. The instrument lights did come on; however the battery indicator remained on. When I tried to start the bike, it was more of a clicking sound. With respect to the gauge needle swap, I can't recall. I can check tonight.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I predict that if you take the bike to the shop again, the same shop, they will go a step further on the repair flowchart. The first step in cases like this is to swap the battery. If battery #2 goes right away, it's something else in the electrical system. A short or a broken regulator. So the prediction is that second time will be the charm, all under warranty.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yup, sounds all in the world like the battery is not charging. You'd be surprised how long you can ride and how many starts you can get until the battery voltage gets too low to pick up the starter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Could be your regulator/rectifier. Here's a link to a previous thread.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=63588&highlight=regulator

I ended up getting one from ducati dealership and relocating the R/R so it would get more airflow to keep it cooler. You might also try voltage meter check to see if it is you R/R or not. You should be getting about 14.5 V (+or - .5 Volts) at I believe around 3k rpm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Think I've heard somewhere that the DS motors are prone to having defective starter solenoids (at least the MS1000 did).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts