Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding a 250r for the past 1.5 years and I'm fainlly wanting to step up to a Ducati. I was looking at a street fighter but most say it is to much bike. Then at my local ducati store I saw a 2009 Sport Classic Sport 1000S and was wondering if this would be a good bike for me? A good step up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
My opinion is that if you have been riding a 250r without any major wrecks and trust yourself to be a responsible rider you are ready to move up to any bike your mind desires. If you know you can keep it cool, go for whatever you want -- if you are still questioning certain areas of keeping your 250 under control, you might scale it back a bit.

If you were completely new to riding, we could offer a bit more solid advice...after 1.5 years of riding, it's hard to say where you are...only you can make that decision now. You've gotta ask yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank You,. I feel very confident in my riding. The only reason I saw the sport classic was because of my friend he wants to get the gt1000 but he has never rideen a bike. What should i tell him? If he really wanted that as a beginner bike would it be so bad? HP wise it's less then most 600cc super bikes most ppl start off on. Just around 10-15 more foot pounds of torque.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
a monster 696 is a great way to start in the ducati family. my best friend has one and we go on tons of rides together, and we are always neck and neck. it's slightly lighter and lower to the ground, maybe a little less "involved" than a sport classic, and has far better breaks.

don't get me wrong, I own a S1K for a reason, but I had a few bikes before that one... I don't think an S1K is an ideal first bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
... my friend he wants to get the gt1000 but he has never riden a bike. What should i tell him?
to buy your 250R when you move up

If he really wanted that (gt1000) as a beginner bike would it be so bad?
probably not the best idea but many have done so and survived

------------------

Reasons for starting smaller:

1) Most new riders will loose their balance while stopped or going very slow and drop the bike. You probably did so on the 250R but since it's small and light you may have caught yourself and never hit the ground. Add a hundred pounds or so and the Ducati is on the ground with scratches and very expensive broken parts.

2) With a 1000cc motor, things happen quickly when you twist the throttle. Much quicker than the 250.

3) As you know, the 250R can be a blast to ride.

4) Do not know your friend, but an inexperienced rider with more ego than brains combined with a very powerful motorcycle can easily result in a quick exit from the human gene pool.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with DGJ Fix up your friend with that 250 as a first bike ,and get yourself a sit up duc. monster or multistrada if you are tall enough for it. These SC's are nice but high effort as far as riding ergos, Take a test ride first!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sell your 250 to your buddy so he can learn. I haven't ridden in 15 years and I hopped right on a Sport Classic.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I've been riding a 250r for the past 1.5 years and I'm fainlly wanting to step up to a Ducati. I was looking at a street fighter but most say it is to much bike. Then at my local ducati store I saw a 2009 Sport Classic Sport 1000S and was wondering if this would be a good bike for me? A good step up?
I would agree with the others that a Monster is probably a better starter bike in the Ducati line. A 696 at least gets you used to the a$$raping for service and parts in a fairly benign way.

I must say, that as a 20-year rider and having owned a couple of Ducs, some with Superbike engines, after having ridden the SF I think it's too much bike for my pussy riding skill. But, I still lust after one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He doesn't want a 250r. HIs brother in law started on a 2007 R6 so he thinks he can start on a gt1000 since hp and torque are mostly the same for both. The GT1000 isn't anything like a R1 or anything so i think i will trust him. HE isn't cocky or arrogant so hopefully it works out. Any one know the weight on a gt1000 or sport 1000s?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I learned to ride on a Monster 620 with no previous experience and within a year I sold it and moved up to a Sport 1000. Good bike and not too difficult to step up to. If you think you're responsible then go ahead and get the Sport Classic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So for a complete noob like my friend he will be fine as long as he doesn't ride outside his limits right? I mean riding it won't be like riding a r1 or busa so he should be good?
I'll even help him out by loading it on my truck and taking it home for him after i read the thread about a guys friends going down on their bikes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
any bike can kill you real quick. so I don't think it matters what bike you start on. But most people drop their bikes a few times at first, so a ducati is a real expensive way to start. That r6 you mentioned has cheap bodywork. Easy to replace. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen an r6 without some scratches. It kinda suits them. :rolleyes:

I think the gt makes a fine starter bike for your buddy. And you should get the bike you want. The fact that you have any riding experience works for me. I started with a R1200GS.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Your friend wants a GT1000 and has never ridden a bike. Better he takes an MSF new rider course and after learning to ride talks to some knowledgeable people. Then maybe sell him your old bike but if he still wants a Ducati you can let him test ride yours. :p Right now he's got the cart before the horse.

Also, while the torque numbers may be the same for an R6 and Sport Classic their power characteristics are different. The Duc's torque is immediately available and may get a new rider into trouble quickly while the R6's peak torque is is at higher RPMs and won't catch anyone unaware.

Do some test riding before you decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Is it the best step up? No. A 600 series would be a better choice. Can you handle it? Sure, it's just not the best choice.

He doesn't want a 250r. HIs brother in law started on a 2007 R6 so he thinks he can start on a gt1000 since hp and torque are mostly the same for both. The GT1000 isn't anything like a R1 or anything so i think i will trust him. HE isn't cocky or arrogant so hopefully it works out. Any one know the weight on a gt1000 or sport 1000s?
He may not seem cocky or arrogant, but apparently that hasn't kept him from being stupid. Your 250R would be the perfect bike for him to learn on. Yes, he can learn on a Sport Classic, but the possibility of him making a very expensive and/or painful error when starting on an SC is significantly higher. Just because his brother-in-law was far stupider than you is no reason to think that he is required to be as well. Far too many young riders make that same stupid error of believing that the fact that someone survives a choice proves it was an intelligent choice. I know, he's going to make his own decision, but you asked, and that's the reality.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just swapped my 696 for a GT...for my girlfriend

Well.....my G/F has an open licence...been riding now for a year and done about 6000 klms on the 696.

Gave her my GT and I traded the 696 on something this forum will not appreciate....but fuggin fast!

She really appreciates now just how great the 696 was...excellent stoppers...low to the ground...great in the corners with excellent handling....the trade off....is great grunt ( torque) from the 1000cc motor.

The reality....I should have taken all the parts of the GT that make it turn and handle and sold the base bike...and kept the 696....my girl is intimidated by the GT where she was so confident with the 696....you can drop a 696 at walking pace and do minimal damage ( proven fact sadly just a clutch lever)...the same drop on the GT...hmmm

Just my .02c worth....a sport classic is not a good learner bike IMO....great fun though and that has to be part of the attraction.

Cheers

Roger

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Some dear friends of mine, just out of MSF school, bought two Ducatis as first bikes last week. She bought a Monster 696 - a perfect choice IMO. He got a new, limited edition, Nicky Hayden 848.

I'm concerned about his choice - but not so much from a safety POV. My friend combines good judgment, a fine driving record (no accidents at all that I know of), a quick and alert mind and previous experience in other high-risk, knowledge dependent, activities. (He is among other things a certified diver).

My concern is that almost universal new-to-riding "oops" moment. I cannot imagine what a replacement fairing piece will cost for that bike! But none-the-less I expect his ownership experience will be a happy one. (And damn that bike is beautiful!!!) :D

-don

·
Registered
503 Posts
Some dear friends of mine, just out of MSF school, bought two Ducatis as first bikes last week. She bought a Monster 696 - a perfect choice IMO. He got a new, limited edition, Nicky Hayden 848.

I'm concerned about his choice - but not so much from a safety POV. My friend combines good judgment, a fine driving record (no accidents at all that I know of), a quick and alert mind and previous experience in other high-risk, knowledge dependent, activities. (He is among other things a certified diver).

My concern is that almost universal new-to-riding "oops" moment. I cannot imagine what a replacement fairing piece will cost for that bike! But none-the-less I expect his ownership experience will be a happy one. (And damn that bike is beautiful!!!) :D

-don
I bet he prefers to ride her 696 MORE than she prefers to ride his 848.....assuming she is willing to "swap" ... lol

Sure a drop at parking speeds can be expensive....I dropped my BMW R1200RT against the bumper of my new Porsche GT3...all up about $3K damage in my own garage...and sober too! pissed off...you bet! see ya BM !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it the best step up? No. A 600 series would be a better choice. Can you handle it? Sure, it's just not the best choice.
I don't really understand how starting on a Japanese 600cc sport bike would be better then a Sport Classic. Yes the torque is more readily available down low and yes if he dropped it then it would be expensive. Other then that how would it be better starting on a Jap bike?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Buy the Ducati you want. People are going to tell you to do this and do that. You are a big boy and can pee standing up.

I went from riding a CM450T with at least a 10 year break where I didn't ride, to my Sport 1000. Yeah it was a big jump but just take it slow until you get used to the bike.

Just tool around your neighborhood getting to know the bike, don't push past your limits (the Sport will win) and respect the bike. That's all. Take your time with her, she'll open up and show you her vast pleasures...hah!

The deal is that if you settle for a 696 and it's not the bike you really want it'll bug the hell out of you. I considered a 696 and am glad I went S1k. Don't get me wrong I've ridden a 696 and they are sweet bikes but I like old school stuff and the S1k fits the bill.

Do what you want and you feel comfortable with. You know yourself, nobody else here does.

P.S. When you drop a biposto those huge ugly cans on each side and the mirrors take the brunt of the fall...if you aren't moving that is...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts