Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,487 Posts
I havent watched any of the bohnams auction but I have been watching Mecum (are they going on at the same time? that seems stupid.) From what I've seen the bikes under $30k have been bringing expected numbers or higher and the high-end bikes are not making their numbers. Seems that the rich high-dollar collectors are taking a break right now but guys on a more meager budget are still very interested. There are of course exceptions in both camps and I'm still watching with interest. several ducati bevels go across the block this afternoon.

·
Bon Vivant
10,487 Posts
A 1929 brough sold for $308K and a greenframe 750 brought $132k - a 1975 KZ900 brought $24 (I expected nothing over 15) and a sandcast 69 CB750 brought a much more realistic $39K after one last year sold for $150k. a couple of greenframe ducs failed to make numbers and did not sell - all very interesting sales, there are more coming up.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I flew to Las Vegas yesterday to look at some bikes that I might want to add to my little collection. There are some very nice bikes there but generally speaking, there is so much junk there that looks solid in pics and are accompanied by glowing catalog descriptions. After seeing the bikes in person, I would even say that some of the descriptions are over the top. I'll just cut to the chase and say there is no accurate way to assess the strength of the selling price without seeing the bike in person.

I have seen this over and over in the car market. People will quote some auction prices and say the market is down but often times, I thought that the prices were really strong prices for what the cars actually were, but I was the only one who actually took the time to inspect them in person. There are some great deals for sure but there is definitely some weird stuff going for too much too.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I like to think about these things a lot, and so here are my opinions. It's a matrix of data right? So bike desirability, bike production numbers, bike features and bike condition.

That being said there are only 2 bikes that are "signifigantly" unique in terms of production numbers and features, and 1 that's a one year wonder. After that......good luck!

The Paul Smart is the only SC kitted out like an actual bad ass bike with Ohlins and such, it also is the only SC ever made with BOTH the asymmetrical single shock swing-arm AND the fairing! Not only that, it's frame color and bodywork color is not available on any other SC. In my opinion this makes it the most desirable and collectable of all Sport Classics. As for their value, that should be easy to search out sold auctions on Bring a Trailer, ebay and forums.

Sport 1000 SE, it's just a paintjob on the 2006 Sport 1000, but it's limited in numbers of 100 make it pretty rare.

The 2006 Sport 1000 is the ONLY SC produced in large numbers without a fairing and WITH the asymmetrical swingarm. It also is the only S1000 with a dry clutch they ever made.

After this, it gets into "bullshit reasons" for rarity as far as I'm concerned.

The S1000s with the dual rear suspension of the GT but with the fairing of the PS. I own this one. It's only an "S" Because of bodywork, I guess the rear shocks are adjustable, but the forks are garbage. In the S1000S world, I believe the rarest one is the 2009 Black version. But this is a parts bin bike they made for 3 years. So how rare is it? Probably less rare than some versions of Air Cooled Hypermotards, or certain Monsters and dry clutch Streetfighters. So while they may bring a premium over their same engine counterparts, I really don't think they have any signifigant hope of "going up in value".

And then there are just the bikes nobody cares about it seems, which is just the entire range of GT1000. I guess they aren't COOL enough!!!! But since nobody cares, in 20 years if you had a BONE stock GT1000 that wasn't dead from storage...and had less than 5K miles on it...or ZERO miles....that could be worth something more than a PS1000 with 12K miles on it, IMO!

For the record, I paid 9000$ for my 07' Sport1000s with 26 THOUSAND miles on it, it's got 30K now...what would anyone pay for that. At 26K miles it sat at Pro Italia for A G E S, nobody would touch it, even with it's most recent service history giving it a perfect bill of health, and the bike looks PERFECT.

And after looking at lots of bikes over the past couple years, just Ducatis...because I like to buy cheap versions of psudo collectable Ducatis...it seems that anything you want to collect over 10,000 miles is a waste of time. I think you need to have less than 5000 miles to have it hold "exeptional" value. 0 mile bikes are wierd, some people HATE them, but there always seems to be enough people on earth to pay top dollar for them.
this is not a bad assumption but doesn't truly reflect the market
I flew to Las Vegas yesterday to look at some bikes that I might want to add to my little collection. There are some very nice bikes there but generally speaking, there is so much junk there that looks solid in pics and are accompanied by glowing catalog descriptions. After seeing the bikes in person, I would even say that some of the descriptions are over the top. I'll just cut to the chase and say there is no accurate way to assess the strength of the selling price without seeing the bike in person.

I have seen this over and over in the car market. People will quote some auction prices and say the market is down but often times, I thought that the prices were really strong prices for what the cars actually were, but I was the only one who actually took the time to inspect them in person. There are some great deals for sure but there is definitely some weird stuff going for too much too.
Correct, the market offers many options and you can find great deals. However, they are becoming harder and harder to find in absolute pristine condition. It's also hard to convince anyone to sell a well taken care of and pristine SC. The money that goes into them to modify them properly with high end components is insane.

But, what do I know. I just keep hoarding them and blowing unnecessary money. It's fun

·
Registered
534 Posts
So I like researching this crap, one area where I can find a lot of consistent data is "Bring a Trailer" they have a plot graph of all their previous auctions.

The most expensive bikes sold are 3 out of 4(one didn't meet reserve) Desmosidiccis, 39K to 59K 59K for one with 250 miles, 39K for one with 2000 miles. This was in 18 and 19.

Most expensive SC is a PS with 72 miles, went for 25K
A 905 mile MH sold for 25K as well....she is the ULTIMATE SC BTW.
1660 PS went for 19'5

That's it for over 20K bikes...Desmos, a Walt Siegal special, a vintage 750SS, a 998 FE.....and then PS and MH.

GT1000 with 13K for 7,300
MH with 124 miles for 16.250
07 S1000s 5K miles 11,800

It's a decent sample size, I think that BaT is a bit "collector" heavy so I'd kinda guess if there was a collector looking on that day, you pay a max price. But sometimes nobody is looking and..for example, you can grab that MH for 16K...v.s. 25K for one with 905 miles (spits, so many miles).

There is a HUGE lack of SCs on this, mostly Superbikes.

What does this research mean, I guess that you should keep an eye out, there are plenty of bikes to go around even in these limited numbers and unless you are actually gonna spend MAX money to get the lowest mile, rarest version of said bikes......then just get the cheapest one you can and ride the fuck out of it. Because once it's ACTUALLY used, it's actually worth JACK SHIT :)

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting that link, you f'ing [email protected]! Now I'll never hear the end of my wife complaining "Quit looking at things you can't afford and we don't have space for!!!" with that rabbit hole o_O

Some help you are 🖕 (but thank you 😁)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting that link, you f'ing [email protected]! Now I'll never hear the end of my wife complaining "Quit looking at things you can't afford and we don't have space for!!!" with that rabbit hole o_O

Some help you are (but thank you )
That damn website had me thinking I could afford an Alfa Junior at 13k. 4 hours later it reminded me I'm stupid as it went for 30k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
You forgot my New Blue in your list of collectable Sport Classics. I will never sell mine. My 4 year old Grandson will care for it one day. Maybe he could sell it to pay for college one day. That would be the only acceptable reason in my book.

And you forgot my Carbon Dream. Where does it fit in? It doesn't matter, my Grandson will get it too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hahah, New Blue and Carbon Dreams....what are those crap bikes? Just kidding, I mean those are f'n BEAUTIFUL Unicorns of amazingness. They are actually priceless because the price they are worth is probably only payable by a few maniacs on the planet. What are Calloway Corvettes worth v.s. their doner Corvettes?

So say a Calloway like this
v.s. a standard 1992 Zr1

I think any NCR or Walt Siegal "custom" would bring completely unknown but large money with a few very specific buyers. But they are too custom and too rare to consider in my calculations, I am only a VFX artist after all grandpa, so I appreciate that you'll be passing these on to me. I'll let you know where I live when you start to die, keep me posted.

·
Bon Vivant
10,487 Posts
You forgot my New Blue in your list of collectable Sport Classics. I will never sell mine. My 4 year old Grandson will care for it one day. Maybe he could sell it to pay for college one day. That would be the only acceptable reason in my book.

And you forgot my Carbon Dream. Where does it fit in? It doesn't matter, my Grandson will get it too.
What if your grandson doesn't give a shit about you old junk motorbikes? I've seen that happen more times than not.

·
Bon Vivant
10,487 Posts
I think you guys are a little too enamored with your own crap. I have a buddy with a SC that is really done well: zards, F&R Olhins, GT top clamp and bars and on and on, he's tried to sell it several times for $15k and no luck. and Except for some of the pro customs its probably one of the nicest SC's I've seen anywhere.

I dont see SC's being as strong as they were a few years ago while the cafe racer craze was in full swing - Like the chopper crap the TV show is gone and the brainwashing is wearing off. Owners (myself included) always think their own own crap is worth more than it is.

I like to look on Ebay at "completed items" way down at the bottom of the page - there you can compare prices for the bikes that actually sold from the dreamers - its amazing how far apart they are sometimes.

·
Registered
937 Posts
3 years ago I bought my 1 owner 5k miles 06 SC 1000 for 9k off e-bay the seller wanted 12k I had
it for 2 years and sold it with just under 9k miles for 10.5k I felt lucky that I got that for it and it only
sold after I removed the upgrades.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts