Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the 2006 / 2007 sport classic bikes. Are all models considered collectible and if not what is the order of collectability and desirability. Obviously the Paul Smart comes at the top, and then what else?

·
Registered
949 Posts
The Market usually determines what is collectable and when but in terms of limited
numbers it would be the 2007 SE then the Paul Smart then the 06 Mono.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The market is weird! I see all types of SCs for sale in the UK, and it appears that you can't give them away; adverts on eBay are there for months, but there are no takers. Paul Smarts I see advertised for £20000, but no-one buys them (wonder why?) and GTs for £8 - 9000, but no-one bites on those either; there are a lot of dreamers in the market. I remember my local showroom invested heavily in SCs, and the shop had rows of them gleaming, creating a lot of attention, but they did not sell and the shop went bankrupt because of it. They had a PS in the window which was there for months which they did everything possible to sell, including free Termis and reducing the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The market is weird and that is the reason I ask. I see 2007 SC in the market for $7500 all the way up to $13K not including the PS or SE versions. I see Monoposto listed as Biposto, 2,500 miles version for $10K while 40,000 miles version for $13K (he's dreaming).

·
Registered
817 Posts
The prices have definitely dropped from where they were a few years ago. I think the 09 Black 1000s might be up there in collect-ability. I am not sure on the numbers but wasn't it 100 or less...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like to think about these things a lot, and so here are my opinions. It's a matrix of data right? So bike desirability, bike production numbers, bike features and bike condition.

That being said there are only 2 bikes that are "signifigantly" unique in terms of production numbers and features, and 1 that's a one year wonder. After that......good luck!

The Paul Smart is the only SC kitted out like an actual bad ass bike with Ohlins and such, it also is the only SC ever made with BOTH the asymmetrical single shock swing-arm AND the fairing! Not only that, it's frame color and bodywork color is not available on any other SC. In my opinion this makes it the most desirable and collectable of all Sport Classics. As for their value, that should be easy to search out sold auctions on Bring a Trailer, ebay and forums.

Sport 1000 SE, it's just a paintjob on the 2006 Sport 1000, but it's limited in numbers of 100 make it pretty rare.

The 2006 Sport 1000 is the ONLY SC produced in large numbers without a fairing and WITH the asymmetrical swingarm. It also is the only S1000 with a dry clutch they ever made.

After this, it gets into "bullshit reasons" for rarity as far as I'm concerned.

The S1000s with the dual rear suspension of the GT but with the fairing of the PS. I own this one. It's only an "S" Because of bodywork, I guess the rear shocks are adjustable, but the forks are garbage. In the S1000S world, I believe the rarest one is the 2009 Black version. But this is a parts bin bike they made for 3 years. So how rare is it? Probably less rare than some versions of Air Cooled Hypermotards, or certain Monsters and dry clutch Streetfighters. So while they may bring a premium over their same engine counterparts, I really don't think they have any signifigant hope of "going up in value".

And then there are just the bikes nobody cares about it seems, which is just the entire range of GT1000. I guess they aren't COOL enough!!!! But since nobody cares, in 20 years if you had a BONE stock GT1000 that wasn't dead from storage...and had less than 5K miles on it...or ZERO miles....that could be worth something more than a PS1000 with 12K miles on it, IMO!

For the record, I paid 9000$ for my 07' Sport1000s with 26 THOUSAND miles on it, it's got 30K now...what would anyone pay for that. At 26K miles it sat at Pro Italia for A G E S, nobody would touch it, even with it's most recent service history giving it a perfect bill of health, and the bike looks PERFECT.

And after looking at lots of bikes over the past couple years, just Ducatis...because I like to buy cheap versions of psudo collectable Ducatis...it seems that anything you want to collect over 10,000 miles is a waste of time. I think you need to have less than 5000 miles to have it hold "exeptional" value. 0 mile bikes are wierd, some people HATE them, but there always seems to be enough people on earth to pay top dollar for them.

·
Smut peddler
900 Posts
They should re-release the sport 1000 with ohlins and maybe the GT's bars rather than clipons. It would be a contender to the thruxton. I've watched a good amount of videos from the Bike Shed, almost every sport converted to GT bars. Just a thought

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,022 Posts
I am a Sportclassic lineup fan. But I have to admit that buying a Thruxton R would be a smarter choice for a regular ride than any Sportclassic bike in its stock condition. So I think I understand the low sales issue.

My GT1000 draw little attention when it was all stock. After modifying it I have received several offers to buy it. Most of them during visits to the local Ducati dealer. But I invested a lot of money and time to transform it into a bike I like.
Also, I am lucky of liking what most local dealer visitors like. Unfortunately, many Sportclassics are less attractive to the general public after being modified.

Immaculate Paul Smarts and MH900e might get the chance of being part of a motorcycle museum someday.
But for the rest of the Sportclassic lineup, the right term would be "Cult Bikes" rather than "Collectable Bikes".
Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I have a question regarding the 2006 / 2007 sport classic bikes. Are all models considered collectible and if not what is the order of collectability and desirability. Obviously the Paul Smart comes at the top, and then what else?
Welcome to the forum, Mitchell.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just sold me MH900E for $25,000 on BringaTrailer. I brought it 3 years ago on ebay for $17,000. I was really shocked by the price it fetched. The guy that brought it was a wealthy bike collector, but far from a Ducati expert. I have a feeling a few other people bidding were in the same boat. I honestly don't feel the bike was worth over $20k and as an actually riding experience, not even $10k. That said, value is in the eye of the buyer. So if there are good quality buyers out there, then I'm not going to complain.
I'm about to list my PS on BringaTrailer also. If it gets anywhere near $20k I'll be satisfied (brought it for $18k).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The market is skewed by collectors. Ordinary motorcyclists buy a bike to ride, collectors buy because they either wish to add to their collection to satisfy a desire to own a particular bike, or they buy purely as an investment, often knowing nothing about bikes.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had a chance to watch about an hour of the auction yesterday. From what I saw, it looks like the entire motorcycle market is down. Not one of the bikes that went up on the stage made the projected bottom amount they had listed for it to sale for.

It looks like the Paul Smart did not sale.

·
Official Retired Person
7,223 Posts
My GT1000 is not for sale. I watch threads & discussions like this for grins. Interesting. I plan to enjoy riding mine as long as possible.

The executor of my will needs to decide what a good selling price will be.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My GT1000 is not for sale. I watch threads & discussions like this for grins. Interesting. I plan to enjoy riding mine as long as possible.

The executor of my will needs to decide what a good selling price will be.
Neither are any of mine. My daughter, age 3, already knows that she will be inheriting mine. It is fun to watch though. I expect their will be a few "ups and downs" in the market from now until the time I leave the planet. The plan is to try and not wreck em until then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so I have decided to get one and enjoy the ownership experience. No worries about collectability. I will just hang out and wait until the right one comes along. It will be a 2006 Monoposto in yellow.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Answer me this: the current sought-after bikes in the UK (I, don't know if this applies to the ROW) like Velocette Thruxtons, BSA Gold Stars, Vincent Twins, Bevel Ducatis, are bikes that people lusted after in their youth, but couldn't afford at the time, but now they CAN; but, once the current generation of these owners have died will anyone want these bikes? Won't the value drop like a stone? Will young riders be interested in a Gold Star?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Answer me this: the current sought-after bikes in the UK (I, don't know if this applies to the ROW) like Velocette Thruxtons, BSA Gold Stars, Vincent Twins, Bevel Ducatis, are bikes that people lusted after in their youth, but couldn't afford at the time, but now they CAN; but, once the current generation of these owners have died will anyone want these bikes? Won't the value drop like a stone? Will young riders be interested in a Gold Star?
I wouldn't think so, no. The bikes you list are the real thing, they're classics that in their day were ahead of their time, or won when maybe they shouldn't have, or are just plain beautiful, in appearance yes, but also in their engineering.
Quality like that can't be replicated in the modern age, sure, Ducati can make a SC line but it's not a patch on a proper bevel, it's a "retro themed" bike that invokes nostalgia in people who might want to feel like they're young again without the price tag and hassle of owning a proper classic/vintage bike.

It's all about supply and demand and bikes like Vincent, Bevel Dukes and BSA's are very thin on the ground, there will always be more people that want them than there are available and that can be said for the SC as well, they were made in relatively small numbers and over time their numbers dwindle through natural attrition (written off!) while the number of people who want them is increasing, and that demographic is likely down to guys that are 15 years older now than when they were released, and they're more appealing as guys get older and slower i guess.

For me the only one i would ever consider is the GT1000, they are all too slow, handle poorly and are too finicky but the GT does at least have proper handlebars, it's reasonably comfortable, especially compared to the rest of the range, and it harks back to the original GT750 which i've always loved but could never afford really and i refuse to take it in the arse from every mechanic purely because i own a bevel.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts