Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking for a bike that will be good for commuting to work just under 80kms each way (160km round trip), mostly freeway.
Do you think the sport classic would be up to this, considering; running costs, reliability and comfort?
I'd also like to get two trips from a tank (320kms), is the Sport 1000 up to this?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
In stock trim, the fuel would be no problem. Many of us have fuel modifications, and that can impact fuel efficiency.

These bikes definitely need more expensive maintenance per mile than many other bikes, so if you are asking if it is the best choice economically, then the answer is: no. If you are asking if it is reasonable to ask this of the machine, then: certainly.

Personally, I consider 40,000 kilometers of freeway miles a year to be very poor use of the Sport Classic's best features, and you'd be better off putting those high miles on something like a used BMW or Japanese sport-tourer - bikes that are designed to rack up high mileage. Certainly, your cost per mile would be much lower. But, if you really like the bike, and that's what you want to do with it, it can do it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Personally I can ride 600km a day through mountain roads no problem, but 200k freeway makes me tired, bored and uncomfortable.
As a mate said, our bikes are best suited to scratching and pulling chicks, not touring.
:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts