Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What kind of exterior finish do you want on the SC AL tank?

• Raw (Like my bikes)

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Anodized (I want the purple, and R1 wheels too!)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Polished (I'm not a caveman!)

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Plated (Chrome, brass, 24K gold)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Painted (Pure stealth)

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Leather (PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Carbon fiber (It matches my 999R)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above (My brain asplod'd)

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone,

Please select your desired finish style for the aluminum Sport Classic tank.

Choices are: Raw, Polished, Anodized, Plated, Painted (your responsibility), Leather (yes, I know a guy that will do this, and it looks incredible), Carbon fiber (exterior covering only), None of the above.

We probably won't attempt some of these, but I can point people in the right directions, and I think it's interesting to know what people will do with their tanks.

Have at it!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I do want to point out to those that are selecting "Raw" from the poll:

Raw aluminum, without any anodizing or polishing will oxidize quickly, and require frequent treatment in order not to turn gray and look like bird droppings.

If you do select a raw finish, it would be good to clear the surface instead of just leaving it completely exposed.

Clear anodizing will also get you in the "Raw" ballpark.

Most AL tanks you see on bikes are polished to some level. Raw will show the grain of the metal.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You know I voted Polished but I think I'd reconsider if the Raw was a good luster to it. I plan on partial paint and clear coating it anyway. Mainly leave the middle section of the sides showing the Raw or polished material.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What finish will make it look most like this while still offering a good level of protection and longevity?

I'm assuming raw, but with a clear coat, clear anodized, something else?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What finish will make it look most like this while still offering a good level of protection and longevity?

I'm assuming raw, but with a clear coat, clear anodized, something else?
Polished, but not to high luster. That will give you this appearance. You will also have to routinely polish the metal to keep it from oxidizing.

Polishing negates a lot of other treatments, because you are making the metal very smooth, and a lot of finishes simply won't stick to such a surface, or will undo the polishing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good Lord who posted THAT!!
If that was over my Tank I'd need protection :D :D :D :D
Longevity may be in question :rolleyes:

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As I was thinking about this, I remembered that our rice cooker has a really great finish to the tub. I went to the kitchen and looked, and it seems to be raw aluminum that has been powder coated after light anodizing. This is on the outside, the inside is that non-stick crap. It looks quite good...I'll see if I can get a picture later.

Here's a good pic of what raw aluminum looks like.

You can see the grain of the metal, and it has a rough texture. This sample, however, may have been brushed to enhance the texture.

Here is a Harley case that was polished and then oxidized, resulting in a low luster finish, and after polishing again.

Here is a piece in satin anodizing. I think this is pretty close to the rice cooker.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I'm thinking either low-luster polishing or satin anodizing - either would be pretty close to what that Guzzi has on it, right? I agree, that is the "classic" look that we are seeking.

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
24K gold plating would look awesome! :abduct: I don't think I'd want to pay for it though. :(

So I voted for polished. A medium luster finish as in the second Harley photo would look great. :cool:

Debby

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely +1 on the classic low to medium luster polish. I'd much rather have this, despite the extra maintenance of repeated polishing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts