Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anything new to expect for 2010? A Sport 1100 S maybe?
I haven't heard anything from Ducati N.A. but then again they aren't very good at keeping their dealers in the know. A lot of times our internet savvy customers know about new models before we do!

I will say this though, the Sport Classic line hasn't been a real big seller in the past two years. Particularly the Sport 1000 (hence why they got rid of it). I think soon it will most likely just be the GT1000 and GT1000 touring.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I haven't heard anything from Ducati N.A. but then again they aren't very good at keeping their dealers in the know. A lot of times our internet savvy customers know about new models before we do!

I will say this though, the Sport Classic line hasn't been a real big seller in the past two years. Particularly the Sport 1000 (hence why they got rid of it). I think soon it will most likely just be the GT1000 and GT1000 touring.
The Sport Classics have been the most profitable line for Ducati since they were introduced, mainly because Ducati cheaped out on the wheels, tires & suspension on what is otherwise a solid, good-looking bike.

Now that its reputation for inadequate suspension, head shake, etc. is catching up to the Sport Classics, Ducati needs to offer another trim level with Ohlins or Showas, alloy wheels and decent tires -- which they should have offered from the get go (like the PS, but with good tires and alloy wheels).

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
the Sport Classic line hasn't been a real big seller in the past two years. Particularly the Sport 1000 (hence why they got rid of it). I think soon it will most likely just be the GT1000 and GT1000 touring.
IMO that would be a sad mistake. The GT1000 is a niche bike - a sporty bike for folks who for one reason or another need or want a "standard." (In my case its the aging hips) The Sport1000, to me at least, is a true sport bike. Now that the original development cost has been more than made up Ducati should invest in making it the bike it really deserves to be.

1) Give it the high-quality, fully adjustable, suspension it deserves. 2) Give it light alloy wheels (but keep the spokers as an option). 3) Upgrade the quality of the little things like the turn signals and horns. 4) Make it lighter. 5) Add a SuperSport model with all the above plus a full fairing - preferably modeled on the early to mid `90s SS - now a classic in its own right.

Why do the above? Because a light sport bike with a mid-range rich air-cooled motor has a special place in the Ducati line up. Squids may not buy 'em, but experienced motorcyclists will. In droves.

-don

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The Sport Classics have been the most profitable line for Ducati since they were introduced, mainly because Ducati cheaped out on the wheels, tires & suspension on what is otherwise a solid, good-looking bike.

Now that its reputation for inadequate suspension, head shake, etc. is catching up to the Sport Classics, Ducati needs to offer another trim level with Ohlins or Showas, alloy wheels and decent tires -- which they should have offered from the get go (like the PS, but with good tires and alloy wheels).

Given that SCs are already about $3000+ more than their main competition, the Triumph Modern Classics, (and they're arguably worth it IMO), I don't see a premium trim level selling well mainly because from what I've seen on this forum, people unhappy with the stock setup would rather pick and choose which forks, shocks, wheels, etc. they put on. I think "premium" SCs would still leave a lot of people disappointed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm happy I got mine. as long as I can service it and replace parts to keep making it perform, it's all good.

it's true that it was a pricey bike for the gear... and all in all when I count how much dough has gone into mine I'm well above $20k... but there is no other bike like the SC IMO.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Given that SCs are already about $3000+ more than their main competition, the Triumph Modern Classics, (and they're arguably worth it IMO), I don't see a premium trim level selling well mainly because from what I've seen on this forum, people unhappy with the stock setup would rather pick and choose which forks, shocks, wheels, etc. they put on. I think "premium" SCs would still leave a lot of people disappointed.
The Triumphs are not worth the money in my eyes… cheapish iron bling weighing 230+ kg

A friend of mine has one and deeply regrets not to have bought a sportclassic

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I'm going along with don on this one. Ducati has often "upgraded" a line of bikes to keep them interesting. For example, the old Monster 900 eventually evolved into an S4R/S4Rs/S4Rs tri-color. Those upgrades kept the Monster interesting until the recent big change. I think some upgraded Sport Classics would sell . . . alloy wheels . . . full faring . . . new paint jobs that reflect some of the older 70's bikes . . . sounds pretty good to me. :D

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
At Borgo they feel the Sportclcassic is not a bike that deserve too much update. Selling is gone as far they can go and not much bike is been requested lately; the new GT touring (the black one) is the only new version so far.
maybe, just maybe a 1100 might be presented on Gt frame, this is the only chance we have to see a new one.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I don't expect the SC line to survive. The new price of a GT1000 is now £8000 here in the UK, for a bike that is perceived as slow, with poor non-adjustable suspension, no fairing and cheap chrome rim wheels. Compared to the Japanese opposition it is going nowhere.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The SC line occupies the same slot as the Super Sport did. I think the SC line will end in 2010 and we'll see a replacement Super Sport.

I think it adds some class to keep only a limited number of years for the retro-bikes. Probably will increase their sentimental value over time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I hope Ducati continues to provide their classic 2v air cooled motor in a range of bikes that offers comfortable ergonomics. My body can't put up with a sports bike riding position any more and I also appreciate a bike that is good for 2-up duties.

Must admit I would be a little wary of the DS1100 motor considering it's record for oil leaks from its use in the current Monster range.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sc

To extend the SC line, my own view is that all Ducati needs to do is bring the NCR upgrade options catalog for the SC bike into the Ducati dealer supplied/parts network, as long as they first check for proper fitment etc. Perhaps the sky high NCR parts pricing would come down a bit with some economies of scale. They could even role out a special 1000S model that incorporates some of those key NCR parts like the BST carbon wheels and NCR/Ohlins fork, shocks, and damper, which together should address the handling/suspension gripes. It would have to hit a price point under the New Blue Street pricing of course and the above suspension/wheel parts from NCR currently total about US$8k today ala carte from NCR, which added to a 1000S price still well undercuts the New Blue Street, I think. My stock SC bike as-is is plenty fast for my abilities, so I don't have an interest in engine upgrades, but handling/suspension is a different matter. Seems like a no brainer to me to make the NCR parts more readily available to keep the line interesting a bit longer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hope Ducati continues to provide their classic 2v air cooled motor in a range of bikes that offers comfortable ergonomics. My body can't put up with a sports bike riding position any more and I also appreciate a bike that is good for 2-up duties.

Must admit I would be a little wary of the DS1100 motor considering it's record for oil leaks from its use in the current Monster range.
Could you elaborate on the oil leak issue on the DS1100 motors? I'm considering a Monster, and this is the first I've heard of the problem. More related to the original post, I had a sport classic but sold it for the reasons mentioned here: head shake /instability, the relatively cheap wheels, suspension, etc. I still think they're the most beautiful bikes, but after a while the nagging issues kind of got to me. I could have spent money on the upgrades, but it seemed just too expensive for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts