Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know if the rearsets from a 1000s will bolt straight onto my '06 Sport 1000 MONO subframe??
Ta :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, just noticed that's my first post! Been here awhile didn't realise I'd just been a lurker...

I'm in London, and the proud owner of a not often-enough used Mono Sport 1000. I've been riding around 20 years and also run a 1962 unrestored daily use Vespa VBB1.

Happy to meet London/SE UK riders for meets and runs, and planning on taking my Sport to France / the Swiss Alps at least a couple of times this summer :)

I'm looking to convert my Mono to a Bi. Has anyone done this?
As far as I know I'll need rearsets, new seat and possibly a new shock (if I can't get away with adjusting the current one). I'm cash-poor for this job, otherwise I'd just sell the mono and find a biposto....

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sorry, just noticed that's my first post! Been here awhile didn't realise I'd just been a lurker...

I'm in London, and the proud owner of a not often-enough used Mono Sport 1000. I've been riding around 20 years and also run a 1962 unrestored daily use Vespa VBB1.

Happy to meet London/SE UK riders for meets and runs, and planning on taking my Sport to France / the Swiss Alps at least a couple of times this summer :)

I'm looking to convert my Mono to a Bi. Has anyone done this?
As far as I know I'll need rearsets, new seat and possibly a new shock (if I can't get away with adjusting the current one). I'm cash-poor for this job, otherwise I'd just sell the mono and find a biposto....

Cheers!
Welcome… always nice to see a Brit here in the forum;)

Maybe trading can be cheaper… unless you find some used parts to swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks :)

Yes, I found some used rearsets, just want to check that they're compatible before I commit to them.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You may need a biposto exhaust system for passenger comfort/safety.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
the bip peg assembly - known to many as the "big black triangles" or bbt is a direct bolt-on as far as the bbt itself, but there are a few things you'll need to deal with:

brakes
the rear brake master cylinder mounts in the bbt on the bip vs. on the lower case on the mono - you'll need to get the bip actuating pin that goes from the back of the brake lever to the master cylinder (they are different lengths, $20 part) and you will need to re-route your brake line/fluid hose - you have to reverse the fitting on the brake line to make it fit properly - the bip brake line routes up around the swinging arm pivot, behind the lower frame tab. you can use the stock brake line, just pull a little extra slack from the brake forward.

controls
the bip pegs are lower and farther forward than the mono rearsets, so you will need to use the controls (shift/brake) that come with the bbt or your controls will be too close to your toes. you will need a shorter shift rod - you can make one or buy them from lots of places online or just get a ducati part.

exhaust
here's the kicker - the bbt goes right across the mono shotgun exhaust, without adequate clearance, so you'll need to either get a bip exhaust, including both headers or do a custom job.

i'm actually doing this project on my 06 sport 1K, using custom headers and a set of conti cans, mounted high, just under the seat. the bbt and controls part is simple, all parts fit on with little drama (i bought the various bits/pieces rather than fabricating them) and i was already planning a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
why ??

why go to all that conciderable effort? why not buy a bip in the first place or trade in for bip? am I missing something..

·
Registered
599 Posts
CAFERACA this is off topic but Im glad to see Im not the only one with good taste in wristwatches. mine is a power reserve.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
why go to all that conciderable effort? why not buy a bip in the first place or trade in for bip? am I missing something..
i understand where you're coming from - the mono looks good as a mono, and why buy it if you need pillion accommodations... but sometimes circumstances change after a purchase or a deal is just too good to pass up.

i bought a salvage bike specifically as a platform for a custom build. i love the sexy mono swingarm and i also love having my sexy wife ride with me :) so i'm building a custom race tail/seat for mono riding and will swap it out with a bip seat when we ride two-up.

there are actually a few folks who have wanted to add the two-up capacity without swapping bikes - some of them are paul smart owners who would really lose in that transaction...

·
Registered
13 Posts
fair enough I suppose... I guess I'm just very lazy (inept) with a spanner!
.. yeah luminor marina.. christmas present to myself :).. power reserve v.nice!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Juneja, hi and welcome.

I have the Biposto and I'm interested in the opposite. We could make a swap, with all the parts included. But only for the rearsets, you can buy the seat in UK at fairly prices.
I just live on the other side on the pond, in Denmark that is :D But serious, it could be done pretty easy. It would only cost a few £ for shipping.
PM if you are interested. AND you rearsets not look like they have been in a war.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Lars,

Sorry, I've been off the forum for a while :)

I wonder what I'd be swapping... I mean what would you need from me, parts-wise?

And whereabouts in Denmark are you? I have friends in Arhus...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts