Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

After much back and forth I am finally in the cusp of jumping into the Duc fray. I have been riding for about 18 years and most of it on British bikes or BMW R1200GS. Now that I have moved to a place where the weather is rideable all year and there are some awesome mountain roads to ride on I want to get a sports bike.

I am very fond of naked street bikes. Probably because it harks back to my Enfield days. I am torn between the Sport 1000, Streetfighter 1098 S, 900SS for an eventual Walt Siegl cafe racer coversion. And as a wild card the 999R which is the only Duc sports bike that really appeals to me from an ergonomics and 5-600 mile a day ride ability. I regularly do 200-250 miles of twisties on my GS and longer tours as well.

The Sport Classic line appeals to me for the air cooled engine, the simplicity, lack of electronics and the looks. But I will need to put money into it to upgrade the suspension (I am a big [email protected]' & 250lbs) and the wheels. I tried the PS but that's an ergonomic nightmare for me. The naked line looks good.

The SFS is the modern naked bike with tons of character. I have never ridden one but from what I read it's good for mountains but not great as a daily commuter and 300+ mile rider. I am also not 100% sold on the looks. The headlamp is a bit weird looking in my eyes.

The 900SS appeals to me for only two reasons 1. Because it's carbed and fully mechanical 2. It's a good platform to go the cafe racer route. Downside is that it's an old bike with known frame cracking issues and even with the 944 big bore I might get at most 80-90 hp

The 999R is the wild card here. I haven't ridden it but I have straddled one and it fit me like a glove. The short stroke engine is amazing. I like its looks and I genuinely believe that the 999R was the last time (MH900e and Superleggera not withstanding) that Duc made a price no object bike.

So which one would be your pick and why. For parity I am asking this same question in the SF and Sportsbike sections too.

Many thanks for your feedback in advance.

Best,
PK.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
You must have long arms if you would consider a 999 for 600 mile days. I have experience with the SS and the bike is one of my favorites, but they are old and will require some work to be reliable, unless you find one with the work already done. The three things tat go wrong are crank plugs back out, cylinder studs break, frames crack. I've only had a stud break on mine, but if you weigh 250 and wheelie a lot frame cracks can happen. It's all fixable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a SF-S, 2006 Sport 1000 monoposto, and a 749S. Can't comment on the SS, but for long rides and/or commuting it's the SF hands down. The SC1K is the most uncomfortable of the 3 in stock form. I believe the 2007-2008 with the raised clip-ons might be a little more comfortable. The seat on the 749S is hard, relatively flat, and gets warm after some miles. Both the SC1K and the 749S can be set up for more comfort, sure, but the SF comes that way stock. The 749 corners toward the limit better than the SF, but that should be obvious and not an issue for street riding. The SF's riding position and handlebars make it far more agile in traffic and it's easier to see around you and react to traffic/obstables - much safer than the others on the street, IMO. As far as issues, you will need to address the plastic tank on the SC1K and the SF (unless you have access to ethanol-free gas), and fuel mapping on the SF. Make sure to check all the electrical stuff on the 999, otherwise it should have no problems.

Good luck!

·
Bon Vivant
10,197 Posts
From my experience the sport 1000 just doesnt handle as well as the other bikes you've mentioned - it brings a high price but has lower spec brakes and suspension. I'm not a fan of the air cooled engines but I can tolerate them on certain bikes like the monsters or hyper. I really want to like the S1000 but every time I ride it I always have the same negative reaction.

The 900SS wouldn't even be on my radar if I wanted something I could ride every day, it's just a little too long in the tooth for a daily. It would make a great cafe bike that you ride once a week or so for 20 or 30 miles at a shot.

The 999 is the most comfortable of all the Ducati sportbikes but an R model makes no sense for a daily rider - too many exotic parts that are expensive, need special care, and more frequent service - I'd opt for an 05 or 06 S model 999

The SF1098 is far more comfortable than a 999 but it has its quirks too; tank expansion and poor fueling are the 2 most problematic. if you get those fixed the bike is comfortable, reliable and insanely fast (more power than the 999)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone I just wanted to drop in a note of thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with my heart and just bought a sport classic with 6800 miles on clock. . Pretty stoked. Huge thanks to JC at pakbikes for helping me out with it. Opening a new thread with pics and ideas for mods. See you guys there. Best, PK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts