Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... this is my first post on here. I read the threads and searched for a solution to my problem but didn't find anything. Onto the problem.

I was riding along doing about 30 mph, not accelerating or decelerating, just cruising when out of no where the bike just shut off. At first I thought I had run out of gas. So I left her on the side of the road and went to get gas. Put gas in, and tried to start it a few times. It turns over but won't start. I checked the fuses but they're all good. I read that maybe the kickstand switch may be bad but if that was the case it wouldn't turn over would it? So any pointers that might help me out??

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
So... this is my first post on here. I read the threads and searched for a solution to my problem but didn't find anything. Onto the problem.

I was riding along doing about 30 mph, not accelerating or decelerating, just cruising when out of no where the bike just shut off. At first I thought I had run out of gas. So I left her on the side of the road and went to get gas. Put gas in, and tried to start it a few times. It turns over but won't start. I checked the fuses but they're all good. I read that maybe the kickstand switch may be bad but if that was the case it wouldn't turn over would it? So any pointers that might help me out??
There is a known fuel line problem. It requires taking the tank off, removing the pump and then replacing that piece of hose. If your tank sloshes back and forth and your bike turns over but won't start, it may be the culprit.

What you need is: SAE J30 R10, 7~8cm in length

Also, I would think checking the voltage regulator/rectifier isnt a bad idea. Mine died, I got a few turns over, then even that stopped.

:EDIT:
here's more info:
read : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...rcl_ID=07V017000&summary=true&PrintVersion=NO
fyi - the defect is in the PS1000-S1000-GT1000 2006-2007 All SC listed above were produced between Feb 10 2006 to May 31 2006.

Oh I also noticed you are in San Diego. PM me, curious where about. If your R/R is the problem and you are close riding distance, I'd cruise on by and you can quickly try mine.
:END-EDIT:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a known fuel line problem. It requires taking the tank off, removing the pump and then replacing that piece of hose. If your tank sloshes back and forth and your bike turns over but won't start, it may be the culprit.

Also, I would think checking the voltage regulator/rectifier isnt a bad idea. Mine died, I got a few turns over, then even that stopped.
hmmm... that sounds like it may be the problem. i'll have to do a search on that. appreciate the pointer Agro!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts

:EDIT:
here's more info:
read : Recalls - Search Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
fyi - the defect is in the PS1000-S1000-GT1000 2006-2007 All SC listed above were produced between Feb 10 2006 to May 31 2006.

Oh I also noticed you are in San Diego. PM me, curious where about. If your R/R is the problem and you are close riding distance, I'd cruise on by and you can quickly try mine.
:END-EDIT:
the fuel line issue is exactly what happened to me, twice

open your gas cap, turn the key to on, if you see gas moving inside the tank, its the fuel line

B

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after some searching, turns out that a bad fuel line was the probable cause. So I got at seeing if that was indeed the issue. I took the tank off, after some spilled fuel and a little bit of swearing at the Italians of course, and removed the fuel motor/filter assembly. It was immediately clear that the fuel filter had disconnected from the pump via the short fuel line that has been so frequently discussed. So I headed to the parts store to look for the replacement SAE J30R10 type fuel line and new clamps. No luck at any of the stores I went to in regards to the line. They had J30R9 type but was hesitant to pick it up. I did more searching on what the difference was and was glad to stumble upon an article that cleared it all up. In it, it basically says that J30R9 is for use in a non fuel submerged application. Otherwise failure in the line's integrity will occur. J30R10 is made specifically for external fuel exposure. I had no idea and so I figure I would share to those that didn't already know that. I came back empty handed and searched some more and found out that Napa Auto Parts has the hose online and possibly in store for what seems a reasonable price under their part #H209. I will be calling up a few tomorrow morning to see about it. So until then I will update my status with this pretty interesting situation.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Hitman, nice work on the part number and where to find. However, the recall was for the clamps, not the hose. So you can [technically] reuse your hose as long as you change out the clamps and make sure your replacements are on securely.

BTW, great article on hoses, thanks!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aircooled, thanks for that info. I realized that until after I had the tank apart. So the status is that she is back up and running. I replaced the clamps but will eventually be replacing the hose as well once I get my replacement tank from the dealer. Those new clamps I installed are stainless steel and I tightened them down pretty good. After starting it up, couldn't ride it cause it's raining/hailing? here, she ran strong!! I think that hose was acting up for a while. I really want to get on it to see if there is a noticeable performance difference. Damn this rain!! I'll update this thread one last time once I do that. Thanks for the help and direction fellas! Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Rain? In San Diego?!

Is this the 'end of days'?

I'm going to get my bike finished and get out and ride...just in case;)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
fuel filter hose clamps...

I'd like to go ahead and just change these out before they cause me any problems - is there a part number or other nomenclature that describes what I should be looking for?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tmnstr, yeah it rains here... Haha Rare but it happens.

robb, there isn't a part number for that hose unfortunately. In order to get a new hose you have to get a new pump. That's why there is that aftermarket headache with getting a hose that is suitable as a replacement. I could get you a piece of mine as I did order a foot when I only need about 2 inches. If you're interested I'll PM you once I get it in. It was $46 bucks for a foot just to give you an idea as to how expensive it is. Pretty crazy if you ask me, but I guess you have to do what you have to do.

So as I had said, once I got a chance to ride I would let you all know how it went. Well, she runs stronger than I remember!! Maybe it's cause I hadn't ridden it in about two weeks so I was itching, but whatever the reason it was enjoyable none the less. It's such an awesome bike and enjoy every minute that I'm on it. It's even more enjoyable fixing it on my own when it's broken. Hope you all have a Happy New Year!! Ride safe!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts