Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching to no avail. Hoping someone here has some ideas, but I'm a little confuggled.

2011 Multistrada 1200. Just installed TuneBoy (tuning and cruise). Same weekend, I installed an integrated tail light from Custom LED to replace the busted stock light. I'm also running an Admore LED lighting kit in my Givi top case, which is piggybacked off the tail light wiring. All was working flawlessly until I stopped the bike today to get something out of the top case. Left the bike running and was surprised to see that the brake, tail, and turn signal lights were completely non-functional! The license plate light was A-OK...

I was hoping it was a simple case of a blown fuse or dislodged connector. However, the lights returned to normal functionality when the bike was turned off and on again. What gives? Does Ducati run Windows? Did my bike just give me the blue screen of death?

I commute in some heavy traffic so I'm a bit concerned. I've sent an email off the Custom LED to inquire about potential CANbus issues and if my piggybacked top case lights are at fault. Also, not sure if TuneBoy's installation can be at fault, but I'm really hoping I can sort this out ASAP. Unfortunately, I do not have time to uninstall the light this week and I'm headed on a 4 day trip this weekend.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My guess is an intermittent connection somewhere in the new connections that you've made. Last year I had an loose bulb connection on one of the rear signal lights. The bike stopped trying to power it once it detected a lack of current (assumption). Turning the bike off and back on, after restoring the bulb connection, resumed normal operation - same as what you've experienced.

I noticed this problem because the signal would flash quickly as if the bulb was blown. When you noticed your lights were out, did you try to operate your signals or notice if they were flashing quickly?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the IDENTICAL setup as you- 2011, TB, integrated LED taillight, and the Admore- with zero issues. I think the first reply nailed it- a bad connection somewhere causing a CANBUS shutdown. Take a close look at all the wires and connectors that were added in the install. Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the Admore setup (at the top case, not the harness - so the PID controller is still connected). The issue persists

I'm going to pull it apart tonight and check the connections tonight. I was planning on removing the Admore harness completely just to isolate it, but now I'm wondering if that's necessary since the exact same setup works on drdave's bike.

There was a busted connector on the signals and license plate light. The retainer clip broke off, so I ended up taping the connectors together. That may be the connection issue...but that's not the tail light and the license plate light seems to work continuously. So a failure on that connector doesn't seem like it'd cause an overall issue.

The front signals function correctly without any fast flashing, warning lights, etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you know what causes the lights to switch off? You mentioned that the fault clears when you power cycle the bike but I also gather that the fault keeps happening. When the fault occurs, are you applying the brakes, turning on a signal or it is just randomly occuring?

Looking at the wiring diagram for a 2010 MTS, the license plate light gets it's power from the instrument panel, whereas the rear signal lights, tail light and brake light get their power from the BBS (which is likely why the license plate light never shuts off). I imagine that if the BBS is not seeing the correct amount of current (e.g. too little due to the swap from incandescent bulbs to LEDs), it will shut down the output. This explains why the lights work again after a power cycle, but it doesn't explain why Dave has no issues with the same setup (unless power resistors were installed to trick the bike in his situation). Also doesn't explain the tail/brake light malfunction because I assume the OEM was also LED (but maybe the original item had a higher current draw than the aftermarket unit).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, quick update. I still do not know what causes the tail light to stop working. It happens during a ride, and of course, I cannot see when it happens. There are no warnings or indicators on the dash, and the turn signals don't flash at a faster rate to let me know they stopped working. So...

1. I pulled off the Admore LED harness for the top case. No change.
2. I checked the connections to the light and even taped and zipped tied the connectors together just in case they wiggled during operation. No change.
3. I removed the Custom LED tail light and replaced it with the busted tail light and factory turn signals. Works perfectly.

Since I was headed out on the trip, I used the stock lights and it's been like that for almost 2 weeks. I have the bike apart for a valve adjustment now, so I plan to hook it up again but without the turn signals. Will report back, but it feels like the light will need to be returned.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
So, quick update. I still do not know what causes the tail light to stop working. It happens during a ride, and of course, I cannot see when it happens. There are no warnings or indicators on the dash, and the turn signals don't flash at a faster rate to let me know they stopped working. So...

2. I checked the connections to the light and even taped and zipped tied the connectors together just in case they wiggled during operation. No change.
3. I removed the Custom LED tail light and replaced it with the busted tail light and factory turn signals. Works perfectly.

Since I was headed out on the trip, I used the stock lights and it's been like that for almost 2 weeks. I have the bike apart for a valve adjustment now, so I plan to hook it up again but without the turn signals. Will report back, but it feels like the light will need to be returned.
For the record I have the same setup (custom LED tail light and TB)... same issue. My tail lights went out once... came back on. Went out about a month ago, never came back. I put the stock tail light and turn signals in... works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts

For the record I have the same setup (custom LED tail light and TB)... same issue. My tail lights went out once... came back on. Went out about a month ago, never came back. I put the stock tail light and turn signals in... works perfectly. I even went through all the fuses, checked connections, etc... the LED tail light is messed up. I have been meaning to send it back to them but have not done it yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the record I have the same setup (custom LED tail light and TB)... same issue. My tail lights went out once... came back on. Went out about a month ago, never came back. I put the stock tail light and turn signals in... works perfectly. I even went through all the fuses, checked connections, etc... the LED tail light is messed up. I have been meaning to send it back to them but have not done it yet.
You should contact them. Jon told me that my tail light was the first issue like this he's ever had. It'd be good for him to know about yours. Perhaps we have oddball bikes, or perhaps he's had some tolerance issues on his components.

I sent mine back and he soldered in a 510 ohm resistor on the running light circuit. I have been in the middle of a relocation so I haven't had a chance to reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
You should contact them. Jon told me that my tail light was the first issue like this he's ever had. It'd be good for him to know about yours. Perhaps we have oddball bikes, or perhaps he's had some tolerance issues on his components.

I sent mine back and he soldered in a 510 ohm resistor on the running light circuit. I have been in the middle of a relocation so I haven't had a chance to reinstall it.
Yes, I just sent my unit back to CustomLED yesterday so we shall see if I am crazy or there is an actual issue. I exchanged email with them and they were surprised by the fact that while the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal lights did not work... the diagnostic lights when the bike first starts up did flash. I should know the answer in a few weeks. Too bad since I really like the unit. It has worked well for 4 years.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I just sent my unit back to CustomLED yesterday so we shall see if I am crazy or there is an actual issue. I exchanged email with them and they were surprised by the fact that while the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal lights did not work... the diagnostic lights when the bike first starts up did flash. I should know the answer in a few weeks. Too bad since I really like the unit. It has worked well for 4 years.
I'm 3 rides into the revised tail light and the thing appears to work as God intended. I will keep an eye on it and report back if anything changes.

But in your case, did you check the wiring on the bike? It seems weird that it'd quit working all of a sudden after four good years of service...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I'm 3 rides into the revised tail light and the thing appears to work as God intended. I will keep an eye on it and report back if anything changes.

But in your case, did you check the wiring on the bike? It seems weird that it'd quit working all of a sudden after four good years of service...
Sent my tail light back to get refurbished... Jon found nothing wrong with it. Just re-installed it... same issue on my bike. Just doesn't work. Stock light works perfectly fine. I think I have spent enough time on this. Time to re-install the stock lights and move on.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Just want to follow up and make sure everyone understands I don't mean to state or even imply that the CustomLED blaster X product is not a good one. Jon has been very responsive and has even responded to my emails on the weekend. He refurbished my tail light and even supplied a resistor wire for me to try. The blaster X is an awesome product... there is just something strange about my bike. I think it all started last fall when the battery was in its death spiral. The toggle switch that allows you into programming mode also broke at some point (the solder joints broke). I fixed the toggle switch but no change. Also, I see the same issue even when the toggle switch is disconnected.

Jon had me check the voltage to the blaster. Looks like when the ignition comes on it gets 12.7 volts... but then the can bus apparently kills the power because it drops back to zero after about 1 second. From what I can see the power for the tail light is supplied by the BBS. Verified the fuses... no luck. The stock system works fine so the basic theory at this point is that the blaster is pulling more power than it should and the can bus shuts it down? Dunno.

Nothing has changed on my bike... just the new battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just want to follow up and make sure everyone understands I don't mean to state or even imply that the CustomLED blaster X product is not a good one. Jon has been very responsive and has even responded to my emails on the weekend. He refurbished my tail light and even supplied a resistor wire for me to try. The blaster X is an awesome product... there is just something strange about my bike. I think it all started last fall when the battery was in its death spiral. The toggle switch that allows you into programming mode also broke at some point (the solder joints broke). I fixed the toggle switch but no change. Also, I see the same issue even when the toggle switch is disconnected.

Jon had me check the voltage to the blaster. Looks like when the ignition comes on it gets 12.7 volts... but then the can bus apparently kills the power because it drops back to zero after about 1 second. From what I can see the power for the tail light is supplied by the BBS. Verified the fuses... no luck. The stock system works fine so the basic theory at this point is that the blaster is pulling more power than it should and the can bus shuts it down? Dunno.

Nothing has changed on my bike... just the new battery.
What value resistor did he supply? Did you try this yet?

Jon offered to send me a resistor, but I didn't want (and don't have the time) to play with something that should have worked right out of the box. So I sent it in and they put the resistor in. 510 ohm, if I'm not mistaken. So far, so good...but I continue to monitor it.

I suspect the Ducati CANBus system has a wide variance for load...or the Custom LED tail light has a larger tolerance...or both. I've read of other people having issues with other brands of tail lights, as well. This doesn't look to be isolated to you and I. Frankly, how many people actually check their tail light? I'd wager it's not many.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
What value resistor did he supply? Did you try this yet?

Jon offered to send me a resistor, but I didn't want (and don't have the time) to play with something that should have worked right out of the box. So I sent it in and they put the resistor in. 510 ohm, if I'm not mistaken. So far, so good...but I continue to monitor it.

I suspect the Ducati CANBus system has a wide variance for load...or the Custom LED tail light has a larger tolerance...or both. I've read of other people having issues with other brands of tail lights, as well. This doesn't look to be isolated to you and I. Frankly, how many people actually check their tail light? I'd wager it's not many.
Not sure what resistor he supplied. I tried it, it didn't work. I did break out my multimeter and confirmed that the taillight powers up when you turn on the ignition but after about 1-2 seconds the canbus (BBS I assume) shuts the power off to the taillight. Again... stock taillight works fine. No idea what the issue is but I have spent hours looking into this... I just put the stock back in and went for a ride today.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with the stocker! I wouldn't have done the upgrade if my stock tail light didn't fatigue itself to death. Shame this didn't work out for you. Mine would take longer than 1-2 seconds to quit...usually deep into a ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CustomLED blaster X

My buddy and I both have the CustomLED blaster X installed on 2011 and 2012. He's had his for four years now, I've had mine for one year both work great!
We both also have Tuneboy cruise and tune with quickshifter kits... these are great once they're all setup.
But my issue is that my license plate light stopped working, even before I installed the CustomLED blaster X. And after installing a WD fender eliminator, its still not working, and the kit comes with a new LED light assembly.. When I look at the schematics, I'm thinking that the issue might be the dash? That would suck! I was thinking about working around that and splitting off the power from the tail running light voltage, but I'm worried about trying that especially after hearing some of the comments about the BBS shutting down.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
update

Hello, everyone. Wonderful that it is June in New England and riding season is in full swing.

Thought I would update the status on my custom taillight. It was not working last year and I eventually gave up and used the stock unit. See the history of this post for details.

Over the winter I replaced the instrument cluster on my Multi because it was malfunctioning in numerous ways (flashing when it should not, not flashing when it should etc...). Turns out the instrument cluster was causing all sorts of electrical issues that have simply vanished now that the new unit is in. This includes the blaster X. Works fine now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts