Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to know what kind of money was involved to switch Lorenzo from HTC to Shark.

There probably is contract term limits and once they expire new gear is up for grabs.

These guys most likely make most of their income from product endorsements.

Dan

·
Registered
772 Posts
He switched from HJC because their product was garbage and was impacting his performance. Prior to the season, their helmet shell was too big to meet the packaging requirements of the Yamaha (reference). Then, the top liner fell out at Qatar last year, impairing his vision late in the race (reference). And they couldn't stop the helmet from fogging in the rain, so he couldn't see at Silverstone (reference). Julian Ryder and Dean Adams reported on the Superbikeplanet podcast that Lorenzo's crew knew the helmet sealing was garbage and had been trying to find a solution in showers at their hotels at each round for weeks prior to and after the British GP.

Regarding gear endorsement/supply contracts, top riders can collect quite a sum of money from being affiliated with a gear manufacturer. Likewise, bidding wars for a rider's "services" in promoting leathers or a helmet can stretch into the millions for the Aliens.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris & Clint

Thanks for your input.

You may be correct on why Lorenzo was unhappy with HJC (and he did have major problems) ....but I would love to know how easy it is for star "athletes" under contract with brand names to dump the product because they are not satisfied.

I have a feeling that once signed with a sponsor they are locked in (even though tech problems may come up during the contract period): without incuring substantial costs to just walk away.

However, I don't feel all that bad for these guys.

Dan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They can buy their way out of contracts. This happens in the music industry all the time.
In various professions there are indeed ways to escape a previous agreed contract.

However, in niche worlds (and MotoGP is a very niche world) the consequences of nullifying an agreed contract can have more detrimental effects.

Because the followers of MotoGP are actually buying the products sponsored, the loss of a specific product label to one rider with a huge following can have a major dollar impact on the company.

If for example Ford Motors changes its sponsor line on the new Ford F-150 pickup from Coke to Pepsi nobody in their market will give a damn.

Lorenzo changing helmets can have a significant bottom line effect on the street sport bike market.

I tend to think that changing sponsors in these markets may be more related to contract expiration dates than to personal dissatifaction.

Dan

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems what actually happened depends on which report you read, some say HJC terminated the contract, others say Jorge simply declined a contract extension.

HJC terminate Jorge Lorenzo's helmet contract - GPxtra

https://motomatters.com/news/2016/01/04/lorenzo_switches_helmet_brands_signs_thr.html

Jorge Lorenzo Drops HJC for Shark Helmets

Personally I think he should have been wearing a Reevu so he could have seen the clown show going on behind him last season :)
davy.j

The possibility of helmet maker HJC ending a financial relationship with the current MotoGP world champion is the equivalent of me winning the next Powerball.

Lorenzo was unhappy with the helmet and his contractual term of sponsorship with the company expired.....as you suggest.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts