Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ...
Starting to get used to the clicks and rattles and little sing song noises that my 1000s ds is making ... however ... I have noticed that my rear brake lever needs depressing a considerable way to activate. Have checks pads and seem fine ...
As a Ducati newbie what's my next step please? Had a look on YouTube and cant find much of any use and my local mechanic is self isolating ... shoukd I be worried?
馃 馃お

Registered
In my experience, Ducs have never been known for a strong rear brake. I鈥檝e had 3 and none of them have had much in the way of a super effective rear brake.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion, but personally, all 3 of my Ducs had somewhat spongey rear brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2012 MS 1200s Touring
In my experience, Ducs have never been known for a strong rear brake. I鈥檝e had 3 and none of them have had much in the way of a super effective rear brake.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion, but personally, all 3 of my Ducs had somewhat spongey rear brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a 2012 MS tour delivered with a spongy back brake. The brake fluid needed to be replaced. Easy youtube fix. Use good fluid. But a lot better.

Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
900SSie - never had a rear brake since new.
Master changed 3 times under warranty to no avail.
Used high boiling point fluid or whatever term, wrapped the exhaust near the master.
Still to no avail.
My impression is that the master is too close to the exhaust and hence gets hot, "boils" and gases are in the system.
Fluids compress well in hydraulic systems, gases do not.
I simply do not bother trying to use it, which s a PITA as sometimes it would be nice to have a rear brake!
I can do a complete bleed with vacuum, not even use the brake and it is gone before I can bother to test after a relatively short time riding.
I even looked at Superbike master cylinder options that do not appear to have the problem, but the way my SS is configured that does not seem to be a viable option without serious mods.
From memory other brands with some models have similar problems, like MV.

Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
I have owned it from new for 19 years and have learned to live with it.
Not ideal, but shit happens.
Maybe I should inject some disinfectant into it or shine UV on it!
Anything is worth a try.

Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
Expand the signature option to see my sig pics.
About 100,000 km, so about 60,000 miles.
Only ever had two issues apart from rear brake.
Crap welds where the tank hinges and the kick stand switch.
Mine has custom mapping due to a workbook I developed to analyse logged real time riding data.
Runs well, no hiccups, good fuel consumption (not that I care)
For what it is, it goes very well.
Can't keep up with some bikes on straights but all over them in corners.
I just wish they would recognise that and let me through and see you at the next stopping point.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's mine ... 2006 only 14000 miles but I have only just bought her as a bike for all weathers so the mileage will go up alot over the next couple years

Attachments

Registered
One of the problem is that the caliper is at the low end which makes bleeding a pain.
A secondary issue for newer bike is that air get's trapped in the ABS.

Premium Member
there's a thread about installing speed bleeders in the ABS to bleed it, and there are multiple youtube vids covering caliper bleeding (cliff notes... you need to raise the caliper so the nipple is the high point in on the caliper).

Registered
A braided stainless line will help, if you don鈥檛 have one. HH pads help. Adjusting the pedal linkage may help, make sure the brake still releases after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts