Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Spoiler. Japanese GP.

3K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  xracer 
#1 ·
Valentino Rossi. As much as I admire you as a rider I think it’s really time to let it go. No podiums let alone wins for so long and to rub it in there are three Yamaha’s in front of you in the first practice. NINE places in front of you. Instead of asking Yamaha for more new parts or changing your crew chief, ask Fabio to set up you bike. You and George need to face some realities. It will be sad to see you both go, and it has to happen some time, but seriously, let someone else have a shot at it.
For the win. Fab
MM
Vin
Dovi
Our Jack.

#4 ·
Fact is a top three finish won't really cut it will it?
MM's riding and winning on a bike no one else can ride and Rossi is nowhere on a bike everyone but him can ride.
Time to ride off into the sunset gracefully before he ends up making a complete dick of himself like Lorenzo

#5 ·
Rossi is still one of the top 5 riders, and always a threat. He's still better than most of the rest of the field, and so is as deserving of a ride as many of the others on the track. He also still brings a large fanbase and many viewers.

If at some point he becomes a backmarker, then sure, he should hang it up. But until then, the fact that he isn't dominant as he once was is not the same as being totally washed up and useless. There's a lot of room between those two ends of the spectrum.

PhilB

#7 ·
That's rubbish, Rossi fans don't turn up to see him being beaten by all the other Yamaha's and the only reason he's still there is for Dorna's commercial advantage.
I still remember Capirossi running around at the tail end of the field like a lost soul and it was embarrassing.
You should always quit whilst your at the top and that's not ever likely to happen with MM and Fabio in the picture.

#9 ·
If he could get what he wanted from the bike he'd be winning. Maybe the new manager, is it?, will do a better job at sorting the bike. You guys give up too early. Jorge is the one who should retire, when he's on the pace he's dangerous for anyone around him.

#13 ·
I'm not as polite as X..
Quatro is giving it to them all on a "B" spec bike from last year and they only turned the wick up for him last race.
Rossi is either stupid or deluding himself if he thinks he's ever going to win another championship.
Quatro should be on Rossi's bike next year and Rossi should go on a world cruise.

#11 · (Edited)
Valentino Rossi. As much as I admire you as a rider I think it’s really time to let it go. No podiums let alone wins for so long and to rub it in there are three Yamaha’s in front of you in the first practice. NINE places in front of you.
X,no offense intended here my friend,but I just watched FP1 and I've got an honest question for you.

In the final few minutes of FP1 Rossi was out on track setting his lap times with a used soft front and a used medium rear.
Vinales and Quartararo were both out on track with a brand new soft front and a brand new soft rear. Morbidelli was out on track with a brand new soft front and a brand new medium rear.

My question is what kind of blazing fast lap times were you expecting Rossi to post on his used tires compared to the other Yamaha riders who were all on brand new tires?

Did you miss that tire info?

Did you also miss that both Marc and Dovi were out on track setting their lap times at the end of FP1 with used tires as well and neither one of those two guys were setting the world on fire with their lap times,in fact they were both setting lap times pretty comparable to Rossi's.

Relax X. Deep cleansing breaths my friend.

#12 ·
Morning Stosh. No offence taken. I’m admired Rossi’s still. Since day dot and now I think no less of him or jlo. But there comes a time for all of us and I’m being realistic about both of them. Look at Val’s slow slid down and scale. Rarely in the top three qualifiers, rarely on the podium. Struggling with a machine that others are on and faster than him. And where reality really bites is a kid on a lesser machine is handing him his hat. Jlo. Another rider I admire. I was prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but said that he would find the Honda impossible to ride. And after a few crashes I pretty much knew that psychologically he was ruined. We have to except there comes a time.

#14 · (Edited)
I've stated my opinion on Rossi's Imminent retirement, but having just watched the FP - I think he is preparing for a rain day race, and for what it is worth- so is MM. Rossi can quickly go from 15th to 4th on a wet track as tricky as this one, so then final results are down to attrition. In no way am I disagreeing with who the three could be in front of Rossi, however. Others doing well at the end of the season are about qualifying stats while they have a dry track; the Ducati guys have some other agenda but their winning on a rainy day doesn't seem like its going to happen. IMO!

#16 ·
At what point do you (ei; anyone here) think that Rossi and/or Lorentho could become an on-track liability to themselves or other riders? I know that there is a threshold (age wise) where riders in pro level motocross and more especially pro-level flat track where age becomes a dangerous mistress to court in those forms. Especially in pro-level flat track where the wrong calculation or slowed reactions can actually become very dangerous to the other riders. Most deaths in flat track happen due to being hit by another rider after falling. Riders with slowed reactions can cause a crash, which then puts downed riders that got collected up in the crash in grave danger if they're hit by a 350 pound motorcycle with a 175 pound gear-up rider on it at 125mph. You get my point.

#18 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I disagree. It's a fact that as we age our reaction times and judgement suffers. When a pack of hungry riders crowded up in a corner doing 150/200mph all struggling for the same two foot wide hunk of racetrack ... a wrong calculation of judgement or poor reactions is a liability to other riders.

EDIT: So if older riders aren't affected with diminishing reaction times and judgement, then why is it that a multi-champ (Rossi) hasn't taken a win in years? He's on a competitive bike, at least well enough to podium .. good team .. plenty of money .. all the best shit .. the only other variable is the rider. He's clearly got the raw talent required ... his only hurdle is his aging body (specifically his brain and nervous system).

I just wonder if there's a point where a rider can become a liability while on track in MGP. Personally, I think there is that possibility. What killed Marco Simoncelli "Super Sic" was his poor judgement ... he was a liability, and many riders felt that way. So my question stands regarding older racers.

?

#22 ·
With almost any sport, testosterone fueled youth with almost blatant disregard for risk, rule the day.
As these athletes get banged up and get the responsibilities of age,(job related injuries, family...)they tend to become more risk averse.
We saw that after Rossi broke his leg and almost any other rider before or since.
I would love to see Rossi get #10 but the reality is the Young guns are faster.
Aside from a few incidents , Rossi has been a great ambassador for the sport and helped MotoGP grow.
His time is close , only he can pull the trigger on retirement, I hope he doesn't get banged up before he bows out.

#26 ·
#38 ·
Nah. Turned it off by then.

Moto3 was another epic race, though both Canet and Arbolino made it two races in a row where they gifted Dalla Porta with their DNFs.

Moto2 was nearly as good, as Luthi and Marini were head and shoulders above the rest of the field. That moment Binder had was pretty nasty, and the impact with Lowes took Lowes handle bar completely off.

MotoGP? Snoozer. From the first lap really. The only interesting racing going on was for 3rd really....maybe 5th too. Championship is over, so I don't feel compelled to watch. . Not in the same way that I watch Moto3.

At least there, you never know who's going to win. I think there have been 11 different winners in Moto3 this year.

Moto2 was looking like a Marquez runaway but after today, Luthi is 31 points down and there are 50 up for grabs. Mathematically anyway, Luthi still has a chance.

Augusto Fernandez was looking like he was going to make a real challenge but since he fell off, he hasn't looked really serious again.

#40 · (Edited)
JB just bought into the Rossi saga again:
Former crew chief Jeremy Burgess fears “maybe he’s been around a bit too long” as his current struggles continue in 2019. Burgess helped mastermind the Italian’s seven premier class world titles.

Enn skal lytte, når en gammel hund gjø. :giggle:

#41 ·
HAH! I still have Taiwan and Japan on our DVR. Haven't had the opportunity to get the whole family in front of the TV long enough to watch either one just yet. I haven't read this thread, nor the previous one .... don't want it spoiled. Shit, for that matter we haven't even watched the AMA Pro Motocross Million Dollar Sweepstakes at Vegas yet! It's on the DVR as well. For those that don't follow AMA Pro MX, that race pays one million in cash straight up at the end of the event to anyone that wins all three motos. The second moto is run backwards as well ... they go the opposite direction in Moto #2.

Bye byes .... fingers in ears ... not listening to results .... la la la la la la la la la la la la la .........

:cool:

#42 ·
HAH! I still have Taiwan and Japan on our DVR. Haven't had the opportunity to get the whole family in front of the TV long enough to watch either one just yet. I haven't read this thread, nor the previous one .... don't want it spoiled.

Bye byes .... fingers in ears ... not listening to results .... la la la la la la la la la la la la la .........

:cool:
Gotta love the crazy people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.