Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Alas, the only interesting part of the GP race (albeit, IN THE WARM UP LAP!)

WTF?

Spies was pretty good at 7th, though (and Edwards in 4th)

250 was pretty good, though over once Simoncelli bit it. Great that Luethi got 4th (and almost 3rd)

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two big questions from that race:

1) How in the hell did Stoner crash on the warm-up lap??? There wasn't footage of it on SpeedTV, but it's just odd....

2) How in the hell did Lorenzo NOT crash from that moment he had early on??? From Rossi's on-board, George Lawrence's bike was pretty much on its side from the snap after it hooked back up. Can't blame him for giving up the position after that....

Bonus Question) What the hell was Rossi doing while the interviewer was setting up Pedrosa???

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Two big questions from that race:

1) How in the hell did Stoner crash on the warm-up lap??? There wasn't footage of it on SpeedTV, but it's just odd....
Something to do with Ducati's "grid strategy". They wouldn't elaborate, but I think it has something to do with keeping the tires cold before the race, and then running a very hot warm-up lap. Notice Stoner waits for everyone to go by as they exit the grid, and then he blazes around the track. It must be the reason he is always able to go so fast from the very start, but it's risky because they're starting the warm-up lap on cold tires. It finally caught him out...

2) How in the hell did Lorenzo NOT crash from that moment he had early on??? From Rossi's on-board, George Lawrence's bike was pretty much on its side from the snap after it hooked back up. Can't blame him for giving up the position after that....
That's why they're the GP Gods, and we're not. :alien:

·
Registered
630 Posts
He said he dropped off a bit after that because his airbag suit inflated as a result of the near highside.
That sounds very uncomfortable. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Something to do with Ducati's "grid strategy". They wouldn't elaborate, but I think it has something to do with keeping the tires cold before the race, and then running a very hot warm-up lap. Notice Stoner waits for everyone to go by as they exit the grid, and then he blazes around the track. It must be the reason he is always able to go so fast from the very start, but it's risky because they're starting the warm-up lap on cold tires. It finally caught him out...
I know Stoner likes to go round last on the sighting lap, but that reasoning is new info to me and just seems odd. Warmers and a moderate sighting lap seems much more prudent than keeping the tires cold and then blazing the lap. I could see wanting to be last up the grid for less stand-still and cooling time before the lights go out....

That's why they're the GP Gods, and we're not. :alien:
Heh....I hear ya there, but that "moment" looked more like he landed on the lucky side of physics than any special skill. That bike sure looked like it was doing it's own thing once it gripped up from the slide.

He said he dropped off a bit after that because his airbag suit inflated as a result of the near highside.
I have this mental image of him going round the track looking like this...

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I know Stoner likes to go round last on the sighting lap, but that reasoning is new info to me and just seems odd. Warmers and a moderate sighting lap seems much more prudent than keeping the tires cold and then blazing the lap. I could see wanting to be last up the grid for less stand-still and cooling time before the lights go out....
Of course that sounds like the typical plan, and I wish they would explain further what they meant when they said they used their own "grid strategy", but naturally they're not going to divulge all of their secrets.

But we know that lots of riders have a hard time getting the Bridgestones up to temperature, yet Stoner always seems to be able to rocket off the line and run away on the first lap. So they must be doing something different. And it seems to have something to do with running it really hard on the warm-up lap. The team said they've been using this strategy for a couple of years, but that it finally caught them out and they'll have to re-think the strategy.

Exactly what that means, we can only speculate about. Or ask Tye. :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why the hell doesn't someone invent a tire warmer/scuffer that would clean off the tire and heat it to race temp at the same time. Can be used for either front or rear tire. Aside from competition use, can be used commercially at shops to scuff the slippery gunk off new tires. Why the hell don't I invent one of those? I'd make hundreds of dollars!

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
There is no slippery gunk on the tires and while they do need heat they don't need to be scuffed up any to stick.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I assume you're talking about race tires? I've never been on race tires so I wouldn't really know about whether or not there's slippery gunk on new race tires....but there sure is some slippery gunk on new street tires....

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I assume you're talking about race tires? I've never been on race tires so I wouldn't really know about whether or not there's slippery gunk on new race tires....but there sure is some slippery gunk on new street tires....
Nope, all tires. None of the major brands use mold release any more, the shine is because the molds are highly polished.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts