Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
To put his amazing race into full perspective, he did it on last years hand me down bike with 500rpm less than Rossi and Maverick and nowhere near the level of support the two factory riders get.
If MM didn't have the extra straight line speed he wouldn't have seen which way Fabio went.
Nah, he has the current model M1, even has the latest fork-du-jour now with the carbon fibre Ohlins, it is only the donk that is down a few revs. Given how long these bikes sit in that rev range, especially at a track where there is a lot of short shifting on the edge of tyre and no long straights it is a pretty marginal handicap.

I think it's funny that people concentrate on Rossi's age, he's there or thereabouts competitive with Vinales, and I can't see anybody other than Quartararo as a realistic option who might do better. Yamaha followed Vinales input and they roared out of the blocks in 2017....then fell off a cliff. I'd be listening to Rossi rather than Vinales in trying to get out of the hole. Far too often Vinales simply has no idea what is wrong with the bike.

It must be a nightmare trying to pick potential talent though. Rabat, ex-Moto2 champion has done absolutely nothing despite trying his heart out; Bagnaia current-Moto2 champion can barely stay upright; and yet Quatararo who has only ever won one GP previously and had a best placed championship finish of 10th in Moto3/Moto2 has taken to MotoGP like El Chapo discovering cocaine. It was actually difficult to watch what was obviously a talented guy almost deconstructed before our eyes as he struggled in previous seasons, so I'm stoked he's finally find his niche with a team that is obviously looking after him, kudos to them.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Nah, he has the current model M1, even has the latest fork-du-jour now with the carbon fibre Ohlins, it is only the donk that is down a few revs. Given how long these bikes sit in that rev range, especially at a track where there is a lot of short shifting on the edge of tyre and no long straights it is a pretty marginal handicap.

I think it's funny that people concentrate on Rossi's age, he's there or thereabouts competitive with Vinales, and I can't see anybody other than Quartararo as a realistic option who might do better. Yamaha followed Vinales input and they roared out of the blocks in 2017....then fell off a cliff. I'd be listening to Rossi rather than Vinales in trying to get out of the hole. Far too often Vinales simply has no idea what is wrong with the bike.

It must be a nightmare trying to pick potential talent though. Rabat, ex-Moto2 champion has done absolutely nothing despite trying his heart out; Bagnaia current-Moto2 champion can barely stay upright; and yet Quatararo who has only ever won one GP previously and had a best placed championship finish of 10th in Moto3/Moto2 has taken to MotoGP like El Chapo discovering cocaine. It was actually difficult to watch what was obviously a talented guy almost deconstructed before our eyes as he struggled in previous seasons, so I'm stoked he's finally find his niche with a team that is obviously looking after him, kudos to them.
Not sure about that Spud. The commentary and crashnet said only Morbidelli had the latest.

·
Mexican Ducatista
917 Posts
It must be a nightmare trying to pick potential talent though.
I agree! With a few exceptions, recruiting the Moto2 champ guarantees nothing!

MotoGP is so competitive that getting a winning rider-machine-team combo is like winning the lottery.

Pedrosa used to beat Stoner at the lower class and also when they both stepped up to MotoGP (when Stoner rode the satellite Honda). But somehow, Stoner was perfect for the Desmosedici. Who would have guessed?

·
7,517 Posts
MM had over 9kph over Fabio down the straights... tell me that didnt help?

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts

Not sure about that Spud. The commentary and crashnet said only Morbidelli had the latest.
The Petronas bikes are not the same and the Yamaha works team. Morbidelli is on an A-spec 2019 M1, and Fabio is on a B-spec 2019 M1. Fabio has a limited amount of engines available, thus his engines are set with lower RPM limit. Any updates from the Yamaha factory go to the A-spec bike first.

https://us.motorsport.com/motogp/news/quartararo-upgraded-2019-petronas-yamaha/4333667/
Yes, agreed. My understanding was the difference between A and B spec was the suspension and engine. Quartararo recently gained the latest CF Ohlins forks, which just leaves his slightly detuned engine.

Regardless, he’s doing a helluva job, and seems like a nice kid too. Nothing like some tough times to add a dose of humility.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Yes, agreed. My understanding was the difference between A and B spec was the suspension and engine. Quartararo recently gained the latest CF Ohlins forks, which just leaves his slightly detuned engine.

Regardless, he’s doing a helluva job, and seems like a nice kid too. Nothing like some tough times to add a dose of humility.
The friendly rivalry displayed by MM will fade when Quartararo finds his feet and starts showing his aggression and not giving MM an inch.

·
Registered
674 Posts
not to many Yamaha riders have been able to replicate their success on the V4 bikes, so would Zarco be a good fit on the Honda?

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
No worries mate.

I just checked the link and its working fine.

I have never had any security issues with the site, as I said though I only look at it on my tablet.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
It all sounds pretty good until they start asking for my credit card information. I always get nervous about that, but the draw of finally allowing me to watch MotoGP and WSBK makes me want to roll the dice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No John no credit card required.
Just click on the the the appropriate video player screen.
There is a dummy one at the top so scroll down a bit and you have to endure the odd pop up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Just watched MOTO3, MOTO2, and MGP with my family. I had them recorded on our DVR.

The MOTO3 race was by far the most exciting. That rookie "Suzuki" (that's his last name) riding for Marco's dad was a thrill to watch. The number of lead changes were nutso .... not to mention the really hard highsides by at least six or seven riders. Suzuki really earned that win. The entire race was "edge of your seat" spectating!!

MOTO2 was a yawn, the last lap was a bit exciting. The winner got a talking-too by the officials for a bit of rough racing.

MGP ... meh, it was alright I guess. The last two laps were ok. I see the TV crews still insist on getting footage of Rossi picking his leathers out of his ass crack after he mounts his bike before the event begins. Almost never fails ... TV cameras on Rossi ... he stands on his pegs ... reaches under his nuts .. and digs his leathers out of his bunghole.

:laugh:

·
7,517 Posts
In Oz we'd say he must be going to the movies tonight.
(Picking his seat in advance)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts