Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
MM seems to be having on track issues with other riders recently.
Is it because they are trying to get into his head or is it just that his head is getting to be a real tight fit in his helmet ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Miller and Petruci 6&7 in Q1... now tell me its not about tyres.
Motorcycles don't change that much between circuits.
No the bikes haven't changed, but the track has changed. After complaints that the track was too slippery, due to too much rubber on it, it was abrasive blasted to remove the rubber, but it remover all the grip that the Ducatis need to accelerate out of the corners. No point of having great torque if you can't put it down. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
8,678 Posts
I kinda have to agree with Member *davy.j sentiments. Rossi loves to ride, and he loves to race. But a racer has to know when "it's time" ... y'know? He could really go out on a high note if he played his cards right. Then again, if he tries to relive his glory days there is a far better chance he'll make a total fool of himself and look like just another tired old man that sits on his rocking chair carrying on about how great he was. I think I said once before something like if he's not careful he'll look like one of the worn out rock stars on the stage ... in his mind he's still 22 years old ... baggin' girlies ... bustin' out bad ass guitar solos ... and getting his picture "on the cover of the Rolling Stone". While in reality he is seen by the audience as just another burned out "also ran".

The guy is a magician on the right motorcycle with the right support. Of that, there is no doubt. Best to check out while he's still remembered that way.

As had been said by someone here in this thread ... there's no way in hell he's going to bag another championship ... there are far too many young, very hungry riders that the factories see as moldable clay they can use to promote their image as relevant and exciting motorcycle manufacturers. Rossi is no longer in a plastic state that may still be molded as the fresh new face of a given manufacturer. I'm not sure he understands that. Far be it from me to know what's in his head, but at some point he's got to work out which life trajectory to set ... a life trajectory that does not include riding for a multi-million dollar race program in MOTO GP.

:wink2:
Grace Slick, lead singer of Jefferson Airplane, Starship, et al., understood this when years ago she hung it up and said there is nothing worse than seeing an old rock star trying to make a comeback and looking like a fool.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
No the bikes haven't changed, but the track has changed. After complaints that the track was too slippery, due to too much rubber on it, it was abrasive blasted to remove the rubber, but it remover all the grip that the Ducatis need to accelerate out of the corners. No point of having great torque if you can't put it down. :frown2:
I disagree here. The bikes don’t change and the track surface is the same for all bikes. Davy and I agree that something is going on with the tyres. There just isn’t anything else it could be. Conspiracy theory? Maybe.

·
7,547 Posts

So isn't that what electronics are for?
And Ducati have some of the best electronics in the business.
However electronic intervention can't put grip into shit rubber.

·
7,547 Posts
I disagree here. The bikes don’t change and the track surface is the same for all bikes. Davy and I agree that something is going on with the tyres. There just isn’t anything else it could be. Conspiracy theory? Maybe.

Did you read CrashLow's comments after Silverstone?
He had a real go at Michelin about this very real issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
7,547 Posts
So what, its the same for everyone.
Further to that, Yamaha and Rossi have been complaining madly about their lack of grip in marginal conditions but here we are at Misano and the Yamaha's suddenly find drive and grip on a slippery track?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Grace Slick, lead singer of Jefferson Airplane, Starship, et al., understood this when years ago she hung it up and said there is nothing worse than seeing an old rock star trying to make a comeback and looking like a fool.
unfortunately, not before recording 'we built this city' and foisting it on humanity....

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Great race, I loved it. Fabio did so well, let alone in his rookie year. I have to wonder if his team are better at setting up the bike than the factory teams though.

·
7,547 Posts
Great race, I loved it. Fabio did so well, let alone in his rookie year. I have to wonder if his team are better at setting up the bike than the factory teams though.

To put his amazing race into full perspective, he did it on last years hand me down bike with 500rpm less than Rossi and Maverick and nowhere near the level of support the two factory riders get.
If MM didn't have the extra straight line speed he wouldn't have seen which way Fabio went.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts