Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest batch of "where is Ben Spies going" out of Brno suggest he may go to Ducati Junior squad. From what I have read, Ducati is re-organizing its motogp effort in order to improve the bike and their competitiveness. The rumored structure is more like the Yamaha-Tech 3 relationship where the Tech 3 squad trains riders for promotion into the factory squad. The Ducati junior squad will also supposedly feature factory level bikes so that Ducati can gather more data and test different solutions hoping to improve their bike, these will not be lease level machines. The rumor and I do stress rumor, is that Spies will team up with Iannone on the Junior squad with Hayden and Dovisioso on the factory team.

I don't know how much stock to put into these rumors but they are coming from some pretty credible sources. Sounds like Gresini is pretty keen to keep Bautista since he fits in with their title sponsor. Spies would need some Dorna, HRC help to get the Gresini ride with factory equipment like the deal given to Sic. I still favor the Spies to Suzuki with an early return in 2013 rumor though.

·
comrade moderator
26,797 Posts
I pick: Dorna will subsidize Spies on the Gresini Honda. He's not stupid enough to ride a second rate Ducati on a "Junior" team. He'd definitely go to WSBK on a BMW first.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would honestly love to see this, but I'd almost rather see him competing for wins in WSBK aboard a BMW or Panigale next year.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I still favor the Spies to Suzuki with an early return in 2013 rumor though.
Even though the idea of Suzuki re-entering Motogp has already been mentioned, I can't see anything in the near future unless they settled for a Factory CRT entry. They left Motogp last year because they couldn't pony-up the coin needed to run a competitive operation. The world economy isn't any better (some would say worse) this year than last and big corporate sponsors such as Phillip Morris are getting harder to find. Without the benefit of hard numbers I'd bet Suzuki's revenue is flat (which is a positive today) at best. If it does post in the black it's probably still not enough to head back to the track.

As much as I'm for other manufacturers joining the Premier Class, Suzuki's participation any time soon seems highly unlikely. No money+No sponsors=No racing.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though the idea of Suzuki re-entering Motogp has already been mentioned, I can't see anything in the near future unless they settled for a Factory CRT entry. They left Motogp last year because they couldn't pony-up the coin needed to run a competitive operation. The world economy isn't any better (some would say worse) this year than last and big corporate sponsors such as Phillip Morris are getting harder to find. Without the benefit of hard numbers I'd bet Suzuki's revenue is flat (which is a positive today) at best. If it does post in the black it's probably still not enough to head back to the track.

As much as I'm for other manufacturers joining the Premier Class, Suzuki's participation any time soon seems highly unlikely. No money+No sponsors=No racing.
You have to remember that the Suzuki MotoGP effort was never a real factory effort. It was Paul Denning getting bikes from Suzuki and then running them as the "factory" team. It never really had the corporate muscle behind it. The fact that Suzuki pulled out, yet developed a new bike which they have shown indicates they plan on returning. If it were a money issue they would have mothballed it entirely, instead they continue to develop the bike. To me it seems like Suzuki is waiting for the rules package to stabilize so they don't have to chase a moving target.

I have read quite a bit on Schwantz wanting to run his own team and to me there is a interesting possibility of a Suzuki return, run by Schwantz, with Spies as the rider. Spies wants to stay in MotoGP. He tweeted just before he announced he was leaving Yamaha that he was returning to where he belonged. Some assumed this was to WSBK, I believe he meant with Suzuki with whom he has a long history. One of Suzuki's biggest mistakes was not bringing Suzuki to MotoGP and letting him go to Yamaha. I suspect they would really love to have him back. Question is, can they put it all together?

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
i just would like motogp not to be a one or two bike joke anymore. if it's going to be the top series, then it has to offer top entertainment. but, I'm not saying anything new here, so I'll just hold my negativity and bit my tongue.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
unlikely that Ducati will have that team ready for 2013, Gresini will have sponsorship issues with an American rider all other top seats in Moto GP are done so my bet is WSBK which is great I love the show.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Suzuki wants to return to MotoGP from 2014, but has ruled out entering any races as a wildcard next year.

Nice picture of the Panigale BTW

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unlikely that Ducati will have that team ready for 2013, Gresini will have sponsorship issues with an American rider all other top seats in Moto GP are done so my bet is WSBK which is great I love the show.
Dorna NEEDS American riders, especially if there are three us rounds next year. Colin and Nicky are getting older and Ben has years left. Ben wants to be in MotoGP and has stated that he knows if he leaves he probably can't come back. There is where I see the flaw in the WSBK rumors.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I don't know how much stock to put into these rumors but they are coming from some pretty credible sources.
such as? if they were coming from credible sources, we'd all have read them by now on a half dozen sites. I've only read SBK BMW.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
If Spies leaves MotoGP now, and Hayden is injured, Ezpeleta could be faced with the frightening prospect of having three U.S. races in 2014 with no full-time Yanks on the grid. That won't work, as American fans love their homeboys. And the situation will become even worse in 2015 if Valentino Rossi retires after his two-year deal with Yamaha ends. Americans also love charismatic superstars like Rossi.

Soup :: Gresini Honda Becomes Ground Zero For MotoGP Silly Season :: 08-28-2012

then there's this
http://motomatters.com/blog/2012/08/29/guest_blog_mat_oxley_honda_goodbye_motog.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MotoGPMatters+(MotoMatters)

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
i just would like motogp not to be a one or two bike joke anymore. if it's going to be the top series, then it has to offer top entertainment. but, I'm not saying anything new here, so I'll just hold my negativity and bit my tongue.
I just re-watched WSBK race two from Moscow (not much to do with Isaac having his way on the Gulf Coast). As much as I hate to admit it the Premier Class has a way to go to reach this level of hard-fought racing, which naturally equals great spectator entertainment.
WSBK continues to lead the way in motorcycle racing that thoroughly entertains.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If this is true then Ducati will have a star studded line up. They better get to work on their 2013 Ducondaha. So they can save some face.:)

1 - 20 of 181 Posts