Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

spoke to the peeps at speedymoto and they said that model 090201 frame sliders which fit monsters will work on the sport classics. :)

got some on the way! i'll share how the fit and install goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Boy, I feel pretty ignorant on this one. What are frame sliders, and what do they do? Add weight?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have been riding vintage bikes since 1987. bought my first new bike in 2004 which was a monster. some of the local parts shops said i might want to check out frame sliders.

living in a city(SF) where parking is a nightmare and people in cars routinely knock legally parked motorcycles over to try and squeeze into a space clearly to small for their automobiles, the frame slider is a protective rod which extends from a motor mount to lessen damage when the bike goes over on its side. while designed for lowsides, i got frame sliders primarily as an added safety detail for the plentiful rude idiots out there in cars, in the event my bike ever got tipped over.

frame sliders are pretty popular in SF for this reason and found on numerous Eyetalian OR Japanese bikes.

wa6usa said:
Boy, I feel pretty ignorant on this one. What are frame sliders, and what do they do? Add weight?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the education, I lived, and rode in the city a lot. The nice thing is downtown has motorcycle parking right on Market St. A whole city block just for bikes. It has been about 20 years since I worked there, but such a good idea has to still be in use. I like the idea of protection for the valuable Eyetalian machine, but it never leaves my sight hence no need for sliders. Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the frame sliders are not very retro looking and perhaps incongruent with the spirit of the sport classics' aesthetics, but will provide me some peace of mind when spending an evening out. :p its the one "modern" convention which i will gladly put on my sport classic.

there are some great and choice sports to part bikes in SF. i indeed try and use them when in those areas. :)

wa6usa said:
Thanks for the education, I lived, and rode in the city a lot. The nice thing is downtown has motorcycle parking right on Market St. A whole city block just for bikes. It has been about 20 years since I worked there, but such a good idea has to still be in use. I like the idea of protection for the valuable Eyetalian machine, but it never leaves my sight hence no need for sliders. Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Speedymoto sliders

recently I had a slow speed (about 20 mph)slidy type crash and the speedymoto sliders on my bike did what they were supposed to do.I did not break a mirror,lever or even bend the bars.....I rode the bike home.The puck absorbed the impact like it is supposed to do.
Stuff is great,its worth every cent! I thoroughly recomend it to everyone.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just installed those exact SpeedyMoto frame sliders on a friend's Monster the other night. Pretty easy swap out (replaces the stock motor mounting bolt). One hint: Read the instructions and your life will be much easier, as true for most things...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Slow speed wipe out on sand... :mad:
WipeOut

The sliders saved the day

the fork and Swing Arm sliders saved the Ohlins forks. and the rear axel
get em @ Scott from FastBikes-USA here
85 for the set shipped!!. Cheap and good looking.
Tell em you want the Ducati PS1000LE slider set Like JC's!!

Word of wisdom:
If you don't have any sliders on your bike, it will cost you plenty, perhaps the ins co. will even total the bike. If the cost of the damage is over 75% of the market value of the bike, they total it!!!! :eek:
With the cost or replacement parts that 75% adds up real fast!!!

jc

·
Registered
112 Posts
Speedy moto frame sliders

I installed these Speedymoto frame sliders a couple of months ago. I also added the Rhinomoto axle sliders and bar end sliders. I want all the protection that I can get. Unfortunately this is my second PS 1000!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Rhino slider are cool too.
If you join the Yahoo Ducati Sport classic group I think they had a special group pricing. I think it was 100 for the front & rear set. (NOT SURE!!!)
for the Rhino axel and Swing Arm set. here

Comparing the two front and rear slider between the Rhino and the Fastbike USA is this. The Rhino costs more 60 . Approx 120 for the set. Here
The Fastbike is 85 shipped for both front and rear. their ebay store
If you go down and shave down the Rhino slide. It is very hard to take off if the Allen bolt gets shaved down too. The Fastbike set simply screws off by hand. Installation is less then 5 minutes for front and rear.
The rhino looks cool. The lettering and the shape is appealing. The Fastbike is cool too but plain and the shape is a little less styled.
Either way you go
YOU SHOULD GET SLIDERS!!!! ;)

jc

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont suppose they make anything to protect the termis?
just got the bike. just started riding. ordering sliders. i like the look.
put termis on, now its obvious that they are a little victimish if i crash the bike.:D anything out there?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i dont suppose they make anything to protect the termis?
just got the bike. just started riding. ordering sliders. i like the look.
put termis on, now its obvious that they are a little victimish if i crash the bike.:D anything out there?
Don't worry if you have the 2-2 slip ons, I've crashed 4 times now on track and they paint up fine! You'd never know!! A little wire wool and some PJ1 exhaust paint and good as new!

++++ on frame, axle and bar end sliders, essential if you are on track!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I learned my lesson many many years ago on the original katana. I minor oops on a 2nd gear corner had me doing a low side. A few scruffs on my leathers, and a F***kin scrape on the engine casing which was enough for the engine oil to drain away. Hmmmm.... I was in the middle of nowhere one fine Sunday morning. got home about 11pm that night...

as on the track they can save costly damage, my theory for the road is that they're there (sliders) to ensure the ridability of the bike in the event of a spill. No one likes a long walk home. Any cosmetic protection is an absolute bonus.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ditto on what dadda says. Riding home is better then a flatbed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts