Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I really hate asking this, but I am going to bring it up to my dealer when I have the break-in service done.

I was obeying the speed limit and I tested this twice at one of those posted radar speed checks on a public road.

Speed limit was 60mph, and after I passed (i had nobody behind me for at least 1/4 mile) it read 65mph. I tested this twice, and I was baffled.

I thought I was crazy, I looked down at the speedo, I was holding 60 for about 10seconds, come up to the sign and I was over 5MPH. With my previous motorcycle, I had been there plenty of times...one of my regular twisty routes, and speed was always the same as the radar.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this, or is this Ducati making me think I'm going slower than I am? I'm going to test this with one of those GPS apps on my iPhone this weekend when I ride as well.

Sorry to waste space on here.

-Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the wrong way. The bike speedo should read 8% high. Not low.
So did I read it incorrectly. Again, i'll test with GPS speedo app on my phone, but is this a common issue? Can the dealer correct it?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
As far as I know all modern Ducati intentionally make the speedometer read 8% faster than actual speed. All the ones I've owned even state this in the owners manual.

But if I understand correctly you are saying yours is reading slower than actual speed. There would have to be something wrong for that to happen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know all modern Ducati intentionally make the speedometer read 8% faster than actual speed. All the ones I've owned even state this in the owners manual.

But if I understand correctly you are saying yours is reading slower than actual speed. There would have to be something wrong for that to happen.
They state this in the manual? Am I crazy for thinking that's not normal and wanting to know my actual speed?!

·
19,073 Posts
Ducati isn't the only one. I believe all the newer Japanese bike are the same.

·
19,073 Posts
A wise man once said "RTFM". :)

From the SF848 manual:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ducati isn't the only one. I believe all the newer Japanese bike are the same.
RTFM? Read the fucking manual? I went over it quickly...learned how to program the TC, Clock, etc. lol

Skipped over this whole speedo thing...

and I had a 2012 suzuki gsxr600 before the SF. Bought it brand new and I never had false readings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would suggest checking your indicated speed against GPS. I've seen those roadside speed checks be way off before. I've used Google My Tracks myself with my phone in my pocket with good results.

Mine was also off by 8% in the conservative direction. I was able to fix it pretty easily with jpdiag.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's true, the speedo reads high.

This is the case with my MTS 1200, my MTS 1100 and my Hyper. I never tested it on my SF 848, though I suspect it was the same.

Remeber, this is Ducati; it's 'feature.' :wink2:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
European Union Directive 75/443/EEC - Reverse and speedometer of motor vehicles

"4.4 The speed indicated must never be less than the true speed. At the speeds specified for the test in 4.3.5 above and between these speeds, there shall be the following relationship between the speed indicated on the dial of the speedometer (V1) and the true speed (V2):

0<= V1 - V2 <= V2/10 + 4km/h"

That is:

1. indicated speed is never below actual speed.
2. indicated speed is never above 110% + 4 km/h of actual speed.

Thus, when traveling at an actual 80 MPH, the indicated speed cannot display below 80 MPH, nor above 90.5 MPH.

Ducati states in its manuals that the speedometer reads 8% high, placing the displayed speed roughly in the middle of the allowable range.

BMW cars tend to read roughly 5% high.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Does that affect the odometer? I always thought my BMW cars racked up miles to fast.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
They state this in the manual? Am I crazy for thinking that's not normal and wanting to know my actual speed?!
I think most vehicle manufacturers have their speedo's read high by 4-8%. They have some rationalization about "worn vs. new tires" but IMO it's just annoying. I use a GPS to know actual and adjust my speed accordingly.

·
19,073 Posts
No. The odometers are accurate.

Oh, and both my KTM's match my GPS to within 1 mph.

It has gotten me in trouble before. I know I can take a certain corner at 100 mph entry speed on my Ducatis. Actual a little over 90. I try to do that on the KTM which is actually 8 mph faster and its pucker time. :)

I just remembered something else. My 999 has a lap timer function built into the instrument cluster. It records lap time, max revs, and max speed for each lap. When you play it back it records and saves actual mph Not the phony +8% speedo speed.

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts