Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that once I hit 80mph+ the speedo would begin to jump up and down all over the place between 80-140mph. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue. I've heard of tach motors dying. I recently reflashed a stock ECU to DP via TuneEcu, so I'm not sure if that was the issue, but who knows. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yesterday I noticed that once I hit 80mph+ the speedo would begin to jump up and down all over the place between 80-140mph. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue. I've heard of tach motors dying. I recently reflashed a stock ECU to DP via TuneEcu, so I'm not sure if that was the issue, but who knows. Any thoughts?
I had my tach jump around a lot. I might shut the bike off one day and have the tach be in the totally wrong spot. Or i could tap it with my index finger and have it move to another area. I bought replacement motors for I want to say $20 or so online and carefully un-soldered the OEM ones and re-soldered the new ones. It worked perfectly fine after. I did both, since after doing 1, I found it easy enough; figured why not do the other (even though the speedo was fine). I am no electrical engineer guy, just a DIY'er. If you determine it to be the motor and you want to try that; they exist.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 8 years ago. Drove me nuts. Turned out the wiring from the rear wheel sensor was pinched somewhere under the seat. I cannot remember if I had to replace the sensor or if I just took it out and reinstalled it, as it was a while ago, but I know it had nothing to do with the clocks.

The annoying thing is that as your speedo shows higher speeds, it also increases your milage inaccurately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been seeing the same thing on the tach on my PS, and am interested in your fix and other opinions.
The tach needle would stick at a random position and then on startup would rev from there. Occasionally a restart would re-set the tach, but recently it would not properly re-set.
Although I'm wary of typical dealer service, they see a lot of these bikes and it feels like the right thing to do on this particular bike (2000 miles). The shop insists the entire dash needs to be replaced $$$, and of course that means the speedo gets reset to zero. The speedo reset seems especially unfortunate and is not what I had in mind for a collectible bike.
Any thoughts before replacing the complete dash? Should I not be concerned about a properly-documented speedo reset on this bike?
Thx!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've been seeing the same thing on the tach on my PS, and am interested in your fix and other opinions.
The tach needle would stick at a random position and then on startup would rev from there. Occasionally a restart would re-set the tach, but recently it would not properly re-set.
Although I'm wary of typical dealer service, they see a lot of these bikes and it feels like the right thing to do on this particular bike (2000 miles). The shop insists the entire dash needs to be replaced $$$, and of course that means the speedo gets reset to zero. The speedo reset seems especially unfortunate and is not what I had in mind for a collectible bike.
Any thoughts before replacing the complete dash? Should I not be concerned about a properly-documented speedo reset on this bike?
Thx!
Hmm, never seen that with the tach, this could indeed be an issue in the module itself.

But, worth considering that what caused this exact issue on the speedo on my bike was the wiring between the speedo sensor (rear wheel) and its plug onto the harness (under the seat). Nothing to do with the actual speedo itself. so maybe look at the wires that feed the info to the tach? worth checking...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had my tach jump around a lot. I might shut the bike off one day and have the tach be in the totally wrong spot. Or i could tap it with my index finger and have it move to another area. I bought replacement motors for I want to say $20 or so online and carefully un-soldered the OEM ones and re-soldered the new ones. It worked perfectly fine after. I did both, since after doing 1, I found it easy enough; figured why not do the other (even though the speedo was fine). I am no electrical engineer guy, just a DIY'er. If you determine it to be the motor and you want to try that; they exist.
Could you share the source of the little servo motors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts