Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmm ok fitted 999 wheels and rear caliper with the 999 caliper mounting bracket. Unfortunately the speedo sensor sticks through slightly too much and rubs on the bolts as the rotor goes around. I changed them for mushroom head bolts to solve this and..... yes I know you're shouting it at me by now, it didn't work. Note to self - Magnetic sensors do not like non-magnetic metals!! OK so that explains why me speedo doesn't move when i'm riding.

However, and this is the big question, the engine warning light also comes on permanently now. As soon as I start the engine and it stays on throughout the ride. It doesn't seem to cause any problems and everything is working perfectly (apart from the speedo). Could the warning light by because the speedo isn't detecting the bolts (although why does it come on when stationary) or could the slight scoring of the rubber cover on the speedo sensor, from wheeling the bike around with the bigger bolts, have damaged the sensor? If it has would that therefor mean the engine warning light would come on?

I can only think (and hope) that it is this as I have not touched anything else which would cause it to come on. Fitted termis andf race ecu/airbox about a week ago and that didn't cause it then. Just recently cut my baffles down by about 70% but don't think it could be that!? :confused: :confused:

Any help to save me taking it to Ducati and paying £50 per hour!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
my speedo acted weird about a month ago, like going from zero to 160 in waves as I was going at constant speeds... engine light was on. by the time I took it to the shop to get it looked at I had disconnected it because it was racking the miles according to the speed... didn't want that... when it was disconnected the engine light was on permanently with no adverse effect. I plugged it back in a day later and the thing has worked perfect ever since. engine light went away etc... (don't ask... the ducati ownership experience has increased my faith in the inexplicable)

SO, if you are worried about your engine light, don't be. it's a reaction to your speedo and doesn't affect the running ability of the bike.

I have 999r wheels with the stock disc and stock rear caliper and didn't need to make any adjustments to the rear... there are five bolts and I pick up the accurate speed. So I don't know what your setup is like or how you can fix that, but I wouldn't worry about wether or not if affects the bike aside from the speedo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DGJ, thanks for your reply. Strange how the engine light comes on even before I move though, it's as if it knows I have stainless bolts. I haven't disconnected the sensor it's just not picking up the bolts. WIll put the original steel bolts back in and some spacers to move the sensor back slightly so it doesn't catch. Hopefully that will fix it... hopefully!

It's s strange experience heading towards a speed camera with no speedo!

Loving the 999 wheels though... the handling is just uncomparable!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
no speed cameras in California, so I actually felt liberated without the speedo... :D although I did pass a cop going 85 (was told by my friend who was following on his bike) thinking I was at 65... I had slowed down from 105... :D

yeah, the 999 wheels are sick. enjoy!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hmmmm ok fitted 999 wheels and rear caliper with the 999 caliper mounting bracket. Unfortunately the speedo sensor sticks through slightly too much and rubs on the bolts as the rotor goes around. I changed them for mushroom head bolts to solve this and..... yes I know you're shouting it at me by now, it didn't work. Note to self - Magnetic sensors do not like non-magnetic metals!! OK so that explains why me speedo doesn't move when i'm riding.

However, and this is the big question, the engine warning light also comes on permanently now. As soon as I start the engine and it stays on throughout the ride. It doesn't seem to cause any problems and everything is working perfectly (apart from the speedo). Could the warning light by because the speedo isn't detecting the bolts (although why does it come on when stationary) or could the slight scoring of the rubber cover on the speedo sensor, from wheeling the bike around with the bigger bolts, have damaged the sensor? If it has would that therefor mean the engine warning light would come on?

I can only think (and hope) that it is this as I have not touched anything else which would cause it to come on. Fitted termis andf race ecu/airbox about a week ago and that didn't cause it then. Just recently cut my baffles down by about 70% but don't think it could be that!? :confused: :confused:

Any help to save me taking it to Ducati and paying £50 per hour!
check your spacers PJ, I used my original rotor bolts and have a good 2-3mm clearance between the bolts and the sensor...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Okay, here's my guess, but it's only a guess, though a reasonably educated one.

The ECU takes road speed (or a change therein) into account in some of its formulas, so that's why the light comes on.

The light comes on before you are moving because, once it recorded an error the first time, it's going to keep coming on until the code has been cleared.

That's my guess.

One test of this theory would be to reinstall the stock bolts. If it makes the light go away, then your ECU must just have magical powers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ecu

that would make sense, I don't remember seeing it straight away the very firt time I started the bike so it may well be a case of it needing to reet.Change the bolts back to steel and see if that fixes it I think

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmmmm ok fitted 999 wheels and rear caliper with the 999 caliper mounting bracket. Unfortunately the speedo sensor sticks through slightly too much and rubs on the bolts as the rotor goes around.
I didn't have this problem at all. There is a very thin metal shim that goes between the sensor and the caliper bracket, but that wouldn't make up much space.

Yes my speedo is off, of course, but not as much as I thought since the speedo is a bit optimistic in stock form. Probably off by 10%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts