Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a speedo healer on the red girl.

- 12.2% error with 15/42 sprockets!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,436 Posts
Just installed a speedo healer on the red girl.

- 12.2% error with 15/42 sprockets!
That's not surprising. One tooth down on my front sprocket for the ST3 resulted in a 10% error when compared to my GPS. Small changes can make big differences, but who knows, maybe the error was there the whole time. I'll be changing gearing shortly, so I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just so you all are aware, you could have a 14/30, a 14/53, or any other insane combination of sprockets and the speedometer will be exactly the same as it's always been. The SC counts the rear disc mounting bolts, so changing wheels (999 wheels have 5 bolts) or changing tire size (speed calculated on tire circumference) can mess up your speedometer, but sprockets cannot.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,436 Posts
Makes sense. I just have to assume that my speedo has always been this way. I'm not the original owner of it, so I have no baseline.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The wife said it was always about 10%, cheers .

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is speedo error from the factory, checked with a GPS

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yep, 10% seems to be the norm on a lot of different bikes. Old GSXR1000's, I had one and rode a lot with other bikes, were as much as 30% optimistic over 100mph. I let a buddy of mine ride my GSXR while I was riding my 851. He told me I was crazy, we were riding at about 150mph...the 851 speedo was 120...which was still crazy, but not as crazy...Which was correct, neither would be my guess, I figured we were riding a bit over 100mph.

·
Registered
792 Posts
At least they quit doing that stupid thing in the 80s where speedometers could only go up to 85 mph!
But that was such a handy feature. When the LEO nabbed you doing 125 and asked "Do you know how fast you were going sir?" you could honestly answer "Officer my speedo said I was only doin' 85..."

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
But that was such a handy feature. When the LEO nabbed you doing 125 and asked "Do you know how fast you were going sir?" you could honestly answer "Officer my speedo said I was only doin' 85..."
I just respond with I can't driiiivee.... Fifty Fiveeeee!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts