Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new front tire, days ahead of my trip this weekend (which is way early for me!), and rode to work today to check everything out. No speedo! I'm sure I assembled it incorrectly, but after searching around I can't find a picture of how the parts are supposed to fit together. Could someone please post one? Thanks!

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Did you re-install the speedo drive? If not, don't ride it home. If you did install it, did you back off the connector on the drive cable? Also, the cable is a somewhat common failure item. It may have snapped while you were in there. You can unscrew the cable from the drive without removing the wheel. You can see if the end is there. Don't yank on the internal cable. It is retained by a collar near the upper speedo connection.

Also, sometimes the connection at the speedometer will back out. Wiggling around with the cable could have allowed it to back out completely.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Try removing cable on the drive mechanism. Jack up front of bike, spin the tire, and see if the small piece that drives the cable is spinning or not. Or remove cable from speedo, and watch the end of the cable while spinning the tire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy - I'll play with the cable a bit when I get home. From the outside it looks correct. I think. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong before I go insane. When I remove the speedo cable from the drive mechanism at the wheel, and spin the wheel, I can see the inside of the mechansim turn. I can spin the bottom of the cable enough with my fingers to get the speedo to twitch. When I reconnect the cable at the bottom, and disconnect it at the speedo, and spin the wheel, the cable spins. But when I connect everything, I can't spin the wheel fast enough to get even a hint of a reading on the speedo. Frustrating...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well now. That's kinda odd. If you disconnect the cable from the speedo, spin the tire, and the cable is rotating, that would suggest that the speedo is toast.

Weird that you were getting the speedo to move by spinning the cable by hand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you tried to attach a drill to the speedo drive end of the cable and speed up the speedometer that way. It would be interesting to see how it responds to increased rpms. This is what I did per recommendation by a ducati tech. Just be sure to spin the cable the right way. I forgot which way the was. Just spin the wheel forwards and note the rotation of the speedo drive cable connector inside the threaded cylinder of the drive. Rotate the cable accordingly. If the speedo moves slightly but not past at least 10 mph you may have a bad speedometer. I would think anyways, as long as the cable is properly engaged to the speedometer.

Do the ends of the cable have nice square edges? Is anything rounded off?

Trying to think of a reason why perhaps, the cable might be the culprit here. Or it's mating connections. Where the connection would lose grip and start to slip as rpm's increased.

What does the female portion of the cable connector in the speedo drive housing look like?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to spin the tire fast enough by hand to get a reading.
take it for a quick ride to see if it's working now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went for a ride around the block - nothing. Unless the dealer in Asheville, NC has one in stock (riding past there Friday morning) I guess I'm glad I have GPS to tell me how fast I'm going... Anyone have a spare speedo cable they could overnight me?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Speedo cables were in stock when I needed one. The drive had to come out of Italy though.

Sorry, I cant help you with a cable.

I installed my bicycle speedo for a few weeks. I was glad to get rid of it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It just a curd to me what could be going on here. I've not had my front wheel off yet but on other bikes I've seen this happen.
The pick up on the front wheel on older bike is driven by a thin metal tab that mates with a hole in the hub some times the tab is not quiet lined up right and folds over. when you spin the wheel with out the cable theres enough side friction to turn the output square but put the cable in and the load of turning the 3 ft cable and the magnet head in the speedo it to great so it slips and you get nothing.

If the GPS is difficult to use you may find theses essayer.

Bell-Sports 1000847 F12 Bike Computer Speedometer

Any sports shop with have a small battery operated digital speed-o. Stick on magnet for the rim and a hall effect sensor, input the wheel diameter and your all set.

I'm running on on a vintage bike (52 Harley K model) now after spending $350 to have the speedo repaired it broke in a different spot and part is unubtainable...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Myers in Asheville has one in stock, so I'll pick that up on my way to Hiawassee, GA tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will fix it...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think the speedo drive is the same as the sbk so,
you have the metal drive plate two tags locate in the wheel
and two stand out to locate with the speedo drive they just
push on the side of the tabs in the speedo drive assembly.
Have a look at the pics.
Pic 1 has the tabs at 12-o clock and 6-o clock.
Pic 2 shows the speedo end of the cable.
Pic 3 shows how it would be in/on the wheel.

brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, if anyone's keeping track, it was the speedo cable. Apparently when you change a front wheel you should disconnect the speedo cable first. I couldn't tell until I had the old one off, but the ferrule at the top was disconnected from the cable sheath, making the inner cable too short to reach both ends at the same time. Oh well - I've made stupider and more costly mistakes! Thanks to everyone who replied!

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
So, was the internal cable broke or just not connected? If the former, then bummer. If the latter, woot! :) I've removed the front wheel both ways and do not believe it matters one way or the other. IMHO, when the cable is ready to snap, it does.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The internal cable wasn't connected, because the outer cable had become too long when the end separated from the sheath. I'm assuming the weight of the front wheel pulled down on it too hard when I was removing it. Anyway, cheap fix!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks for ending the thread with the outcome , so many forget to do so which can be frustrating. Good outcome (ie. free !)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts