Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back myself from Spain, met 3 bikers on the Bilbao ferry, 2 on Honda Fireballs and one on a Duc 1098. One of them was clocked at over 180 kph result was big 750 euro fine and an instant ban in France, licence taken away. As a result their planned trip to Mugello turned into getting a mate living in France to rent a van, drive to them to pick up the banned rider and his bike, drive to the Spanish border where matey could unload his bike and their Moto GP trip turned into a tour of N Spain.
So be warned. A bit of googling shows that 180 kph seems to be the magic figure. Below that its "just" a fine. If you have no mates to help you out then tough "ziz is your probleme monsieur" and you have to arrange getting your bike home or at least out of France. If you decide to risk it and ride in France while banned and get caught then its prison time pour vous mon ami. Although taking away your vehicle is also an option. That has to go to court in France though.
To be realistic though you need to be going pretty fast to get into this much grief. 180kph is 111mph which would get you a ban in the UK too and a lot of trouble in other EU countries I guess. I thought it worth warning about the ability of the French police to ban you instantly at the side of the road.
Further research shows that 50kph over the limit is the instant ban trigger.
Adam.

·
Flying Brit
1,793 Posts
Long gone are the days when you could go literally "flat out" through Europe. Trips to Le Mans in the early 90's were always at speeds of excess of 165mph for much of the way at least on the motorways, it was a daily activity for many years...now I leave it for the track only!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello, I am French and I confirm
Must not exceed the authorized speed 50km/h, 30km/h to be quiet
But there are so many beautiful winding roads where being 10km / h above the limit is impossible unless they are suicidal or pilot GP

·
Registered
671 Posts
Good old days ...

Long gone are the days when you could go literally "flat out" through Europe. Trips to Le Mans in the early 90's were always at speeds of excess of 165mph for much of the way at least on the motorways, it was a daily activity for many years...now I leave it for the track only!
Good news - there are two ferries from either Tangier or Barcelona, Spain to Genoa, Italy which is an all day voyage but I think it was only around €150 (in 2002)

On our return from World Ducati Week in 2002 we passed by Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Marseille, Montpellier, Andorra and on the highways we were rarely ever under 200kmh. Sad to hear the fun is over.

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
In Sweden you get banned for +30kph unless its a 30kph zone, then +20kph is the cut off. So +18mph is enough for a ban on the highway. 12mph if your near a school.

So +140 kph/+85mph on a highway gets you 3 months suspended license and a €450 fine.
Going faster then +50kph and gets you arrested for wreckless driving and you pay sek200/€20 PER KPH you went over the speedlimit.

I got nabbed doing 140kph in a 70kph zone.
5 months suspended license and €1480 fine.
Needless to say I learned my lesson. Dont pull over. :D

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
......180kph is 111mph which would get you a ban in the UK too and a lot of trouble in other EU countries I guess......
111mph? That would have gotten me put in double secret probation on many rides. The US has countless roads out west where a rider can open up and fly without the slightest concern from law enforcement. It's only where the roads get twisty that the police get their knickers all wadded up over triple-digit speeds and even then it's highly unlikely that the rider loses his bike.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
But will lose a lot of cash. DUI is the big thing in the states. It's all about the revenue. In Michigan prepare to be about $5000 lighter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm curious, how do the French Police stop a speeding motorcyclist? Some countries the Police will chase you, others jump out and try flagging you down and a very, very few don't even bother with motorcycles usually.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
111mph? That would have gotten me put in double secret probation on many rides. The US has countless roads out west where a rider can open up and fly without the slightest concern from law enforcement. It's only where the roads get twisty that the police get their knickers all wadded up over triple-digit speeds and even then it's highly unlikely that the rider loses his bike.
^^^^^ And that's why I love the West.

In big cities like LA and NYC, as long as you don't kill someone, the police want nothing to do with you. Illegal U-turn, go ahead, running a Red light, go ahead...

Whomever invented the speed camera, should be shot dead.

·
Registered
452 Posts
In Sweden you get banned for +30kph unless its a 30kph zone, then +20kph is the cut off. So +18mph is enough for a ban on the highway. 12mph if your near a school.

So +140 kph/+85mph on a highway gets you 3 months suspended license and a €450 fine.
Going faster then +50kph and gets you arrested for wreckless driving and you pay sek200/€20 PER KPH you went over the speedlimit.

I got nabbed doing 140kph in a 70kph zone.
5 months suspended license and €1480 fine.
Needless to say I learned my lesson. Dont pull over. :D
WTF...? Seriously??? I need to be more careful over there... Thought it was the same as Norway, which is draconian enough already in my opinion anyway!!!
Here´s a spreadsheet of last year´s fines / bans vs speeds... They´re all increased as of 1st Jan now though so I´ll get the table updated at some point before the year ends...
Must remember the bit about not pulling over next time I´m in Sverige, thanks...:grin2:

I guess you don´t have to re-sit all your entitled driving class tests though...!

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
WTF...? Seriously??? I need to be more careful over there... Thought it was the same as Norway, which is draconian enough already in my opinion anyway!!!
Here´s a spreadsheet of last year´s fines / bans vs speeds... They´re all increased as of 1st Jan now though so I´ll get the table updated at some point before the year ends...
Must remember the bit about not pulling over next time I´m in Sverige, thanks...:grin2:

I guess you don´t have to re-sit all your entitled driving class tests though...!
That's the way it is.. the good thing is that cops are few and far between unless your near the big cities. If you get to Stockholm, shoot me a PM and I'll show you enough twisties to last a year!

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
@amullo I've been looking for twisties on the Uppsala side of Stockholm. Be great to get some advice :)
You kidding me? I know that area like the back off my hand. LOADS of great roads. I usually lead afew full day rides with nothing but twisties in "Uppland" every summer. Start at Desmocenter in Upplands Visby and go up to Knutby or beyond. If we meet up, I'll give you a map with everything markes

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
@leonlc vi kan ju diskutera vidare på Svenska om det funkar. Är du med i Svenska Ducati Klubben också?

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's the way it is.. the good thing is that cops are few and far between unless your near the big cities. If you get to Stockholm, shoot me a PM and I'll show you enough twisties to last a year!
Yeah pretty much the same here... Keep it sensible in or close to any built up areas, keep it sensible on main arteries, otherwise, pint it :)
Sounds like fun - Made it as far as Arboga last summer to get some of Tomtom´s TLC after your great advice a while back - who knows next summer!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts