Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit the bullet and bought a speedcell sbk and im very excited. Ive been on a silly kick of reducing weight lately and figured what the hell. My question: Would you remove the batttery and the box completely and attach the new speedcell via zipties or would you keep the battery box and create a styrofoam wedge to keep everything in place? Thanks all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The battery box holds more than just the battery so when I installed my speedcell, I left it in place. I bought a large car washing sponge at an auto parts store, cut it in the shape of the old battery, then cut an indentation in it to fit the speedcell battery. Cost all of $2, took 15 minutes, and worked flawlessly through a whole season of track days.

·
Registered
701 Posts
if you want to lose weight...the battery box is around 3.4 lbs.

it's gone on my bike...and attached via zipties

·
Registered
443 Posts
Were you looking at the Bursi aluminium battery tray?
If you don't use/have frame sliders, then by all means go for the Bursi aluminium battery box. WIll loose even more weight and will improve the ergonomics of that area (ecu, relator, etc).
But remember that you will not be able to install it if you do have frame sliders.

I also use a speedcell battery and have kept the stock battery box (have the SpeedyMoto sliders), I have used the 3M dual lock tape to keep it in place and works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Were you looking at the Bursi aluminium battery tray?
i was looking at bursi, but i didnt think it was going to save much weight. plus it's constructed for normal size battery. So it's too big for speedcell and not needed.

So went with removing all the extra stuff and and put hold it with zipties.

I should be able to post some pics in few weeks hopefully...bike is still being worked on...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I kept the battery box and used 2" wide sticky back velcro (however this was on a Supersport), as per Speedcell's recommendation. That battery has helped me get my 1997 SS down to 322 lbs (without gas) :D.
Joe

·
Registered
443 Posts
i was looking at bursi, but i didnt think it was going to save much weight. plus it's constructed for normal size battery. So it's too big for speedcell and not needed.

So went with removing all the extra stuff and and put hold it with zipties.

I should be able to post some pics in few weeks hopefully...bike is still being worked on...
I would be interested in seeing those pics of your bike osayek. Please do post a few so I can see how you have arranged it without the battery box.

As for the Bursi aluminium box, I'm still thinking about getting one and have it cut down to speedcell's size. This way it will also allow (probably) the frame sliders to be used.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
You make your own battery box :
Nothing beats filling the garage with the smell of resin. :sleep:

Is that a home made CF heat shield behind the battery box?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts