Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I searched and read dozens of threads on the subject and would love some specific feedback in relaion to my current situation. And I know this is a sort of beaten dead horse thing.;)

I was fourtunate to pick up some Marchesini mag wheels in an ebay auction for a steal of a price [guy mis-listed them not sure he knew what he had]. I currently have the brembo 3 spoke stockers on my 748 w/ 180/55/17 in the rear [5.5"]. The new rear is a 6". [didn't know that untill I opened the box]

My delema is as follows: The tires on currently only have maybe 500 miles on them so are in great shape. I know they will technically 'fit' but am I doing something wrong with that set up or should I be looking at 190/50 or 190/55's? Should I just mount the 180's and do a size change at my next tire change?

Detials about me: I don't race and I just ride for pleasure / fun. I'm not looking for some OCC looking rear end to hang with the busa boys:D Just looking for the best set up with the least impact on turn in, wear, fit, suspension impact, etc....

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I saw a 180 Power One mounted on a 6" wheel at the track this weekend. The owner seemed to like it, and it did'nt look "weird"; the profile looked fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I should mention that the tires on there now a Pilot powers and if I have to buy new ones will most likely go with pilot poewer 2ct's.

Can any tire guru's out there give me the 'correct' size for the 6" rear to maintian the same rolling diamiter as stock? I would think if it increased too much exhust clearence may become an issue. :think:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been running 180/55 on the 6" wheels for a long time now, it works fine.

I can't fit 190/55 due to limited exhaust clearance.

This is on a 998 trackbike, running Pirelli Superbike slicks...

cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
You are ok with the 180/55 for your intended purposes but also to add to your question; the 190/55 would be the best retrofit for that size wheel but I don't know about the clearance issue with the exhaust or anything. Worth looking intgo it if you want to but good to go with the 180, seen many do it on big bikes whrn the size tire was not available and heard good things about it.

As for tires, take a look at the new Bridgestone 003rs's just for kick.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts