Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been trying hard to get things ready personal shop wise. It seems outside of ordering from Ducati special tool are hard to find. Every one carries the same basic stuff. I ordered and have some of that. Just looking at the parts manual there are a multitude of special tools for the Ducati. Degree wheel holder, TDC control gauge, timing belt tension adjusting and tightening tool and more? I suppose when push came to shove I could fabricate some things. Farm and barter with others. I can TIG weld and I do have a chop saw. No lathe, no mill, no CNC any thing. So is there a secret place that only the insiders can go, I promise not to tell anyone unless they ask.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look on ebay for the cheap alternatives like chain adjuster wrench, oil filter wrench, clutch basket holder and front and rear wheel special sockets. Will save you a ton of time and money. I used my $17.00 chain adjuster tonight and I'm 99.9% sure that it worked as good as Fast by Ferracci's $127.00 tool.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to hijack my own thread but I noticed you listed K&N on your bike. Is not the air box the same for the 07 1098 and my 07 999S? I use them on everything. Would be nice.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Are you working on a 999s? If so, take a look at www.desmotimes.com or www.motowheels.com for the special stuff. All depends on how far you want to get into the bike.

No, the 1098 airbox is not similar to a 999 airbox.

Just remember - you have a choice - you cuss out a tool once when you buy it or you cuss it out everytime you use it.

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not trying to hijack my own thread but I noticed you listed K&N on your bike. Is not the air box the same for the 07 1098 and my 07 999S? I use them on everything. Would be nice.
Not sure as I have not personally opened it up. (Haven't needed too) I'm going by what the previous owner told me was in it.
Jason

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I am trying to find the TDC adaptor and the adjusting tool for the timing belt tension pulley. I take it most DIY folks are trusting the marks on the pulleys and not confirming exact TDC?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Be careful using the paint marks on the pulleys to line things up, they can be off.
Looking at the pulley you will see a T on the shaft end. Those T marks line up in a very specific way once you are done with a belt install so double check every time you touch the belts. There is a special tool available from Ducati only that the pros use to dial the cams in to their factory zero setting, using that tool I found my pulleys were out by a full tooth on the horisontal cylinder. You then need the degree wheel and the dial gauge to degree the cams to a specific setting, not for the average person who doesnt understand basic mechanical principals.

Motowheels and Desmotimes have the run of the mill tools available and Nichols have some more interesting stuff available. Kaemna in Germany have the more in depth tools available but with the weak Dollar may not be an option. If all else fails there is the OEM tools from Ducati but you pay through the nose for it....

Like another poster once said on here, you are too poor to buy cheap tools.

Best of luck with the tinkering

SF

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info. I will continue my search. I bet you will not see that triple dial set up used at any dealer around here for a belt change. Probable lucky if they use the TDC to check belt tension after marking the cams with tape. Ok maybe they would use a high end marker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alternator Retainer Wrench 8871J0710

Hello,
I have a 92' 851 and am trying to remove the alternator nut on the left side of bike. Trying to find the special tool from Ducati 8871J0710 or, looking for some other ideas on how to hold the rotor in place while I remove the alternator nut and also when I replace and have to torque down.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Hello,
I have a 92' 851 and am trying to remove the alternator nut on the left side of bike. Trying to find the special tool from Ducati 8871J0710 or, looking for some other ideas on how to hold the rotor in place while I remove the alternator nut and also when I replace and have to torque down.

Thanks
Ken
Off = impact gun
On is more delicate, leaves you at the same problem hmm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Ken
Ken if it's what I think I may have the tool for this. I'll check when I get home in a couple hours.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Ken
Something like this; DUCATI ALTERNATOR HOLDING TOOL with 30mm SOCKET | eBay

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
View attachment 289473 View attachment 289481 Does this look like the right one? Part number is: 88713.0710
I bought this tool from Ducati Seattle for my 92 851S to remove the generator on the left crank case.
AFAIK it looks right, the single-phase alternator has that 'slotted' holder (later 3-phase type are different).

I have a 916 and an M900 and they both require that type of tool, I think an 851 is the same.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Isn't there some way to lock the gears instead of the rotor when installing the nut? It has been some time since I looked into that, but I think using a penny or some other soft metal to lock the gear mesh would also do it, assuming it didn't damage the gear tooth.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Motowheels and desmotimes are both good. I've also bought from MotoMFG before.

MOTOMFG.COM

·
Registered
308 Posts
lock tools which type

hi DukeDesmo
which of them do you need 1-3 phase pre 2000 or the 3 phase post 2000 here is the lock tool for the R92 and R93 magnetic stator and the 3 phase on a 748 flywheel lock tool the bike is a 916 1 phase
mike st2

the R92/R93 lock tool now jams on the work shop floor same as 748 lock tool i make them both types in 8mm laser cut R92/R83 the 748 3 phase in 10mm laser cut

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts