Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a chain oiler on all my bikes and never have a dry chain. The one I use is a Loobman from England. They're only about $25 to $30 (if you order it from England - not Aerostich who sells them here for almost $50).

I like the Loobman because its very simple and you don't have to fiddle with application rates, etc. Its a manual system where you give the bottle a squeeze only when the chain needs it (their old system). The new system has a push-button on top of the reservoir for dispensing a dose of oil instead of the squeeze bottle. It's two-sided and dispenses the oil to the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
965 Posts
After spending 2 hours cleaning a chain and sprockets with Simple Green, I’m re thinking the chain lube that I’m currently using

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Put bike on stand in 1st, with back wheel spinning apply WD-40 to chain, when black pool starts to become evident under bike switch WD-40 for kerosene in an applicator bottle & keep spraying on chain for about another minute. Use garden hose to wash off. Once done leave wheel spinning on stand for another 5-10 mins & then apply Chain wax/etc.
Do this every 1000k's & apply lube every 500k's & you will easily get 20-30'000 ks' from a chain & sprockets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As others have said - WD40 works great at removing chain lube. I buy it by the gallon and use the spray bottle, seems to last much longer than the aerosol can versions.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Put bike on stand in 1st, with back wheel spinning apply WD-40 to chain, when black pool starts to become evident under bike switch WD-40 for kerosene in an applicator bottle & keep spraying on chain for about another minute. Use garden hose to wash off. Once done leave wheel spinning on stand for another 5-10 mins & then apply Chain wax/etc.
Do this every 1000k's & apply lube every 500k's & you will easily get 20-30'000 ks' from a chain & sprockets.

Anyone that follows this post for advice should turn in their keys to Alcoholics Anonymous or tell their crack dealer they have found a new drug that will help them ruin their bike for much less than was originally quoted by any bad dealer or bad mechanic who only wanted to send you down the wrong road.

Please do not post after three drinks, it's embarrassing. :mad:

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
So please explain the bad part, as in mechanical, not your ego!Do you know how to maintain a chain?
No ego here, the basis of your process and the materials are all solid, but running it until you have a black pool of crud on the ground is not good advice. One minute is a long time to have those two different 'cleaners' flinging around, which could create hours of goo removal from all the surrounding areas. Not to mention getting any of that stuff on the tire, and the possibility of not getting it fully removed from the tire - could be disastrous.

If I were to correct your procedure without straying from the basis:

• buy one of those spray rig devices that clamps over the chain and allows you to flood it and capture all the run off.
The way I do it:

• Take a ride to get chain hot
  • put it on the stand
  • wipe down with cleaning agent of choice on a rag while moving wheel by hand
  • spray lube at seams, moving wheel by hand for control or feather clutch while running to move wheel as slow as possible
  • wipe off excess with clean cloth

I perform this procedure after every major ride or whenever I see that it needs it. I don't let my chain get gunky to the point of needing to douche it, as I believe removing everything is easier than getting it back where it belongs. Also considering the chains are technically sealed, it only needs to be gunk and debris free to operate properly with regular lubing.

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Gee sorry, I've only been doing it this way for roughly 20 years now & thanks for pointing out my personal shortcomings.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Gee sorry, I've only been doing it this way for roughly 20 years now & thanks for pointing out my personal shortcomings.
No problem, I'm here all week.

If you're sticking to your original post, what with all the crud under your wheel before you stop making an oily mess on the ground, I would venture to say that you just like to post bad advice and don't care what others think of you. If that proves to be the case, then I would certainly go out of my way not to meet you or ride at your side for my own safety's sake. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it that way, it's still pretty ridiculous to tell others to follow your method.

I'm struggling at this end to continue finding a way to play to your sense of humor, when in all reality you gave some pretty bad advice. Is pride really an issue at this point?

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
What I meant since you seem oblivious to the fact that you could be wrong is the facts I've used this method for a very long time & get good longevity out of my chains, very good longevity. Everything I use is recommended by the chain manufacturers. Normally people with half a brain would clean their chain this way before the rest of the bike, maybe your style is different. As for getting anything on your tyre, I've never had a problem with that, then again I apply liquid at the top of the chain before the front of the sprocket, applying it at the back so it goes everywhere is not very smart & those that would should maybe stick to other things they know about, & maybe even try to see if it works, like not in there mind, I'm not telling anyone what should or shouldn't I just mentioned something that works for me & then you took it to a personal level of insults. I'm just replying to your retorts.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Pail with a few gallons of diesel for cleaning everything that can possibly get grimy... Mostly the chain. DuPont Teflon spray for lubing the chain. Doesn't fling so no caking up around the front sprocket & the back of the bike stays nice and clean. Best I've used in nearly 30 years of cursing everything I've ever sprayed on a chain.

DuPont? Teflon? Lubricants

41 - 58 of 58 Posts