Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use the iridium plugs in their Tard? I am gonna replace mine and noticed there was an iridium version as well. Just curious if anybody has tried them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use the search function, or google it. Anyways, here is what I found and I just so happened to order 4 of those last night on the motorcycle superstore link. The NGK Canadian link in the discussion below don't sell them for whatever reason, so you have to find a different vender.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/98891-iridium-plugs-anyone.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/70575-platinum-iridium-sparkplugs.html#post670501

NGK DCPR8EIX - Iridium Spark Plug - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use the search function, or google it. Anyways, here is what I found and I just so happened to order 4 of those last night on the motorcycle superstore link. The NGK Canadian link in the discussion below don't sell them for whatever reason, so you have to find a different vender.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/98891-iridium-plugs-anyone.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/70575-platinum-iridium-sparkplugs.html#post670501

NGK DCPR8EIX - Iridium Spark Plug - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
I did google that's how I came up with there being an Iridium option. Sorry :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, you're welcome, any time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Regular version is dirt cheap, $3,50 a pop I believe, which is the cheapest I've ever seen for a spark plug. For those prices I wouldn't consider iridium. Iridium plugs are made to last long, they will however cost substantially more. If it's performance you're after, then it won't gain you anything.

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regular version is dirt cheap, $3,50 a pop I believe, which is the cheapest I've ever seen for a spark plug. For those prices I wouldn't consider iridium. Iridium plugs are made to last long, they will however cost substantially more. If it's performance you're after, then it won't gain you anything.
It was just a curiosity thing really....I know plugs don't really come into play much until you get into high hp applications where gap has to be spot on and you need a pretty cold plug. Spart plugs for my truch were $12 each so $96 for plugs once a year :eek: That's the price you pay to run boost :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got my 4 spark plugs in from motorcycle-superstore. I've been searching, but couldn't find any how-to switch spark plugs on a hypermotard. I saw the 2 spark plugs on the right hand side which are simple to get to, but there are 2 more correct ? If anyone can shoot me some good info on swapping out the spark plugs it'd be much appreciated.

Gracias and enjoy your Cinco De Mayo, I'm holding off on my maintenance until next Saturday and am going to start on margaritas, cervezas, and beach.

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my 4 spark plugs in from motorcycle-superstore. I've been searching, but couldn't find any how-to switch spark plugs on a hypermotard. I saw the 2 spark plugs on the right hand side which are simple to get to, but there are 2 more correct ? If anyone can shoot me some good info on swapping out the spark plugs it'd be much appreciated.

Gracias and enjoy your Cinco De Mayo, I'm holding off on my maintenance until next Saturday and am going to start on margaritas, cervezas, and beach.
796 has only 2. 1100 has 4, 2 of which are on the belt side

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doh ! >___< !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Installed my iridiums over .035", but not quite .040" , somewhere in between and things seem to be going well. The test will be tomorrow morning when I try to start the bike without slightly twisting the throttle. Recently my bike won't start unless I give it a slight turn of gas and hold it there to warm up the bike. Tomorrow I'm just going to hit ignition and see if it runs without hick-ups :).

·
Registered
327 Posts
sorry for this thread revival but 4 plugs? where? i'm replacing the plugs on my bike as we speak and i took the cam belt covers off and didn't see or find any other plugs on that side..

·
Registered
327 Posts
from what i discovered the older hypers had 4 plugs.. i couldn't find 4 plugs on the bike itself nor on the interwebz for the later model bikes

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
from what i discovered the older hypers had 4 plugs.. i couldn't find 4 plugs on the bike itself nor on the interwebz for the later model bikes
only pre-evo model has 4 plugs. The evo models only need 2.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago during the major service. I ended up paying the same amount of money that Ducati asks for ONE original plug and got 4 plugs instead. eBay is a wonderful invention :D

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've never changed the plugs ever (3 years old now w/ ~8500 kms) .... i pulled them out today to have a look. Can someone tell me if they are ok?

info: there's some blue colouring happening on the forward cylinder's exhaust pipe (first 4")... none on the rear cylinder. there's some backfiring on decel. running reflashed ECU.

the belts were just changed. :)

should i change them w/ regular or iridium?

thanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts