Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I wouldn't run champion plugs in my lawnmower!

First problem is cut threads not rolled
Second there hard to read (from the looks of yours nowbody has)
Third not enough heat ranges
Forth porcelain comes unglued from main body
Fifth made in China
Sixth it's tacky

NGK or DENSO in that order

BOSCH is the reason Europe drinks warm beer they make refrigeration...or attempt to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Champion plug is the only one that will fit in the head, which is why I've used it all these years. Have to grind down a socket to use any others, but I guess that's in my future!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
That Champion plug is the only one that will fit in the head, which is why I've used it all these years. Have to grind down a socket to use any others, but I guess that's in my future!
I just found a spark plug socket at Autozone that fit NGKs on my 748 if that's any help. It came as a two pack of 14 &18mm spark plug sockets that fit fine with no grinding.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Buy the socket set you need from whoever makes one that fits even if you go $nap on its worth the money not to crack the porcelain causing misfire headaches.

Have you tried looking up genuine NGK plugs for you bikes application? You don't need iridium or anything fancy just a simple resister plug & no goofy tip crap, from the looks of your old plugs when was the last time you rode your bike like you stole it? I mean run that bitch till the rev limiter hits THEN SHIFT & do it many many times to clean it out I'm betting your going to stop traffic from blowing out the coal you been developing on everything from your combustion chamber to your exaust tips.

If your plugs don't come out next time after 20 or so miles off white to a fig newton brown you have something causing a VERY rich mixture.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
EIX
just get a skinny socket and use cr9ekb.
Plus one to that.

I wouldn't run champion plugs in my lawnmower!
Funny, the exact thought I had when I saw the first post! :D

As @belter said, buy a thin wall spark plug socket and use NGK CR9EKB, the hex size is 16mm (5/8") and the sockets are cheap as chips on Amazon and elsewhere:

NGK list CR9EKB as the preferred plug for your bike, with an option of iridium CR9EIX (Supposedly last longer, but can foul easier, cost a lot more and as @JEFFRPM said above, don't get sucked in by fancy marketing, just go with NGK's recommendation)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I wrenched on a top fuel sand drag car somewhere around 30 years ago that was sponsored by a mousehouse blitz marketing company (hey the checks cleared) that plastered "SPLITFIRE" spark plugs on everything from the trailer to damn near our underwear...................the plugs were absolute JUNK! cut threads, no heat ranges, smooth white glass (not porcelain), soft metal body & that gimmick split electrode, plating that rubbed of in your hands, packaged in a very cool looking clear tube with a bolt of lightning plastered on & priced at $21.00 a pop! Now remember boys & girls this was early 90's when you could buy NGK #B8ES plugs for a buck a piece...............we bought those by the pallet & made shure none of the spectators walking through the pits ever seen one laying around we even went as far as making our war hat (the tool rack placed on top the supercharger holding tools between runs) had collars welded on below the the plug porcelain part of the rack so you could not see what brand plugs we pulled out between runs.

We also had some oil additive company sponsor called "MOLLYMATE" that stuff was nothing more than molybdenum in a can bfd problem was when mixed with 60w racing oil deluted with nitromehane it tended to get gelatinous causing oil pressure issues plus it was a bitch to wash out of your bright colored monkey suit (the crew issued shirts with all the sponsors names plastered on)

The moral of the story is just because some company bombards you with marketing blitzes on every level does not mean anything more than ADVERTISING nothing more & alot less.

Reactions: cs363

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I wrenched on a top fuel sand drag car somewhere around 30 years ago that was sponsored by a mousehouse blitz marketing company (hey the checks cleared) that plastered "SPLITFIRE" spark plugs on everything from the trailer to damn near our underwear...................the plugs were absolute JUNK! cut threads, no heat ranges, smooth white glass (not porcelain), soft metal body & that gimmick split electrode, plating that rubbed of in your hands, packaged in a very cool looking clear tube with a bolt of lightning plastered on & priced at $21.00 a pop! Now remember boys & girls this was early 90's when you could buy NGK #B8ES plugs for a buck a piece...............we bought those by the pallet & made shure none of the spectators walking through the pits ever seen one laying around we even went as far as making our war hat (the tool rack placed on top the supercharger holding tools between runs) had collars welded on below the the plug porcelain part of the rack so you could not see what brand plugs we pulled out between runs.

We also had some oil additive company sponsor called "MOLLYMATE" that stuff was nothing more than molybdenum in a can bfd problem was when mixed with 60w racing oil deluted with nitromehane it tended to get gelatinous causing oil pressure issues plus it was a bitch to wash out of your bright colored monkey suit (the crew issued shirts with all the sponsors names plastered on)

The moral of the story is just because some company bombards you with marketing blitzes on every level does not mean anything more than ADVERTISING nothing more & alot less.
Likewise, from my involvement in several kinds of motorsport that sort of thing is more common than many people realise!

For me, there are at least three constants when it comes to motorcycles and they are NGK for spark plugs, DID for chains and Yuasa for batteries. None of those brands has ever let me down (or others that I know in the industry for that matter)

Reactions: JEFFRPM
1 - 9 of 9 Posts