Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try some new plugs in my 999. So I replaced the Champions with the NGK Iridiums.
I found that there is a big plus on the side of the NGK's and that is w/ initial start up. The NGKs fire the motor quicker than the Champs. Throttle response is better for sure. My Champions were new, w/ about 2000 miles on them, burn was perfect....nice tan color w/ no fouling. So it was a good test.
Some tips on replacing the Champs w/ NGKs.
I found it easier to trim the length off the stock plug socket. As much as possible will enable you to change the rear cylinder plug by merely lifting the tank as high as it will go. Another tip is to trim the diameter of the socket down, from the bottom about 3/8" up, otherwise the socket will bottom out and won't seat the plug. Trim, fit, trim, fit is the only way to do it.
Another is to squirt a little WD40 or other lube inside the plug socket, makes it alot easier to seat the plug in the socket.
Lastly, you'll need some terminal nuts. I bought a few Denso nuts, in a pinch you can buy a cheapie plug and remove the nut.
I did all the trimming w/ a Dremel drum bit sander and cutting wheel.
If anyone needs a couple of terminal nuts, let me know, I'll mail them out to you.
Something to do on a rainy or snowy:mad: day!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Check the hall of wisdom - its better to gap the iridiums larger than stock electrodes. Throttle response is slightly better..

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Check the hall of wisdom - its better to gap the iridiums larger than stock electrodes. Throttle response is slightly better..
I left them out of the box stock gap as per Shazaam.....the diff in the intial start up is the engine really "pops" on start up, compared to the Champs which fired with alot less enthusiasm.
The Champions are $6ea. more or less, I bought the NGKs for $18 a pair.:alien:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Different engine (996) but I have had the same results with sparkplugs. The iridium plugs give a sharper start-up smoother partial throttle response and in my case a slightly higher idle. To prove to myself that it was the plugs changing the idle I have switched back and forth between the plugs and with out question it is the plugs (in my case the iridium plugs are projector tip, which may have as much to do with it). I have seen my best fuel mileage with the iridium plugs as well and I am sure that they would stay fresh longer than the regular plugs. I have not bothered with changing the gaps the results where there as delivered.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the thread... I am about to replace my plugs and based on the "seat of the pants" review, this is a no brainer. If I am putting around town for a bit, it seems that my 996 is a bit less responsive (loaded up is too strong of a term). Hopefully, the Iridiums will lessen that effect. My i4 engined bike on the other hand, could idle all day long without issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I picked up the iridium plugs just last week at Autozone (in stock!) for $6.99 a plug. When comparing the prices online these were cheaper than the stock Champions, so the decision on which plug was a no-brainer. I discovered the Champions are considered a "racing" plug and found prices from around $8 something to $24 a plug?!? :eek:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thread... I am about to replace my plugs and based on the "seat of the pants" review, this is a no brainer. If I am putting around town for a bit, it seems that my 996 is a bit less responsive (loaded up is too strong of a term). Hopefully, the Iridiums will lessen that effect. My i4 engined bike on the other hand, could idle all day long without issue.
New plugs seem to quell the "snizzing and coughing" at low rpm, but it came back after a while with the Champs. Will see how the NGKs go. Why Ducati's do this I have no idea....bad fueling, too rich, too lean...found that if I leave the throttle alone in traffic and moderate gently the coughing stops. It even says this in the owners manual. It feels like my friends old Chevelle SS w/ the 396 RAT motor w/ the big loping cams. The Jap have it all figured out..my buds RC 51 has over 28K on it and idled stone perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New plugs seem to quell the "snizzing and coughing" at low rpm, but it came back after a while with the Champs. Will see how the NGKs go. Why Ducati's do this I have no idea....bad fueling, too rich, too lean...found that if I leave the throttle alone in traffic and moderate gently the coughing stops. It even says this in the owners manual. It feels like my friends old Chevelle SS w/ the 396 RAT motor w/ the big loping cams. The Jap have it all figured out..my buds RC 51 has over 28K on it and idled stone perfect.
You nailed it, ZDM. I had a CJ5 Jeep with a Chevy stroker block that acted similar. I guess that is the mystique and wonder of owning such a bike. I wouldn't have it any other way! Nine out of ten times, I am riding the 996 over the R6.
Sorry for running into the ditch with this thread.
Has anyone experienced the Bosch two, three, or four post plugs? Do they even make that type of plug for bikes? I have used them in car tune-ups but seems gimmicky to me.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You nailed it, ZDM. I had a CJ5 Jeep with a Chevy stroker block that acted similar. I guess that is the mystique and wonder of owning such a bike. I wouldn't have it any other way! Nine out of ten times, I am riding the 996 over the R6.
Sorry for running into the ditch with this thread.
Has anyone experienced the Bosch two, three, or four post plugs? Do they even make that type of plug for bikes? I have used them in car tune-ups but seems gimmicky to me.
:D If nothing else a Ducati superbike w/ all the mechanical sounds....belts whirrling, clutch chatter, hunting idle really are an attention getters! Every time I'm stopped in traffic cagers roll there windows down to listen w/ this inquisitive smile, then they ask if it's going to break! But it is cool to the cagers in the know.
I know Autolite makes plugs for Ducati.....I'm surprised no one has come up w/ something better or maybe the spark plug is the best it's going to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts